The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What are these fruits called in English? Options
Barely literate
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:20:17 PM

Neurons: 19,621
Fruit-1

Could you please tell me what this fruit is?

It looks like Orange but it is not. A fully grown fruit will have a size of half the size of a football. Sour in taste.

Fruit-2

Edit :This is another fruit. It is sour too.. They are two fruits; not one!
palix
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:44:13 PM

Neurons: 27
I think it is very likely Pomelo.
papo_308
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:03:33 PM

Neurons: 25,947
It looks like grapefruit to me.
timbuys
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:04:10 PM

Neurons: 135
Grapefruit?? What color is the inside?
papo_308
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:08:40 PM

Neurons: 25,947
Yellowish, RGB about 238,240,164,but I don't have any at hand now.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 4:12:51 PM

Neurons: 586,954
No.1 is Vadukapuli (giant bitter lemon native to Kerala)
No.2 is gambooge, (brindleberry, brindall berry, Malabar tamarind, kodumpuli)

This info was in those links.
Barely literate
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:04:00 PM

Thanks friends!

The first fruit is likely either Pomelo or Grapefruit. "Pale yellow" is the colour inside.

But I am not sure. Could anybody tell precisely what?
Barely literate
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:07:10 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Dear JJ.
Those names are its regional names. I checked those names in various dictionaries. But found in none!
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2013 9:41:07 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Large yellow and sour sound like a grapefruit, there are some hybrids of oranges and grapefruits too.
RuthP
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 12:11:59 PM

Neurons: 87,618
salesh2010 wrote:
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

Dear JJ.
Those names are its regional names. I checked those names in various dictionaries. But found in none!

1) Yes, and (as is often true) you may not find an English name; I am unaware of any English name for it. If you can get a botany book, which lists the local name and the Latin binomial (Genus species) name for the plant, we might be able to find a common name somewhere.

Pictures of the entire tree, with close-ups of the branching and the leaves might help. It is very difficult to identify a plant from the fruit alone.

(It does look like a pomelo, but from the--very little--information that I could find, I'm quite sure it is not one.)

2) This one is known as Malabar tamarind or as brindleberry (Latin binomial: Garcinia gummi-gutta). It is showing up in weight-loss patent medicines, usually as brindleberry.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 1:52:23 PM

There are some recipes having vadukapuli as ingredient.
Here it is called Wild lemon or Karadangai:

http://paakam.blogspot.fi/2011/09/curry-naranga-vadukapuli-naranga-curry.html

In another recipe it's also Wild Lemon
Wild Lemon Pickle (Vadukapuli Naaranga Uppilitathu).

leonAzul
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 4:15:04 PM

Neurons: 30,816
salesh2010 wrote:
Fruit-1

Could you please tell me what this fruit is?

It looks like Orange but it is not. A fully grown fruit will have a size of half the size of a football. Sour in taste.

Fruit-2

Edit :This is another fruit. It is sour too.. They are two fruits; not one!

Fruit #1 is often called a "sour orange" in English.

Fruit #2 is not well-known among Anglophones, and therefore has no accepted name, yet I would accept correction.

Barely literate
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:07:24 AM

My quest didn't meet fully. I guess the second fruit is not familiar to Europe.

Thanks though for your participation and valuable information.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:10:49 PM

Many exotic fruits, introduced here only lately, do not necessarily get a translated name. Especially if the original local name is easily pronounced in our language (I'm talking about Finnish now).

In Finnish vadukapuli is vadukapuli and kodumpuli is Malabarin tamarindi.

These days I'm not able to recognise or name every fruit I can see in our local groceries. Today's logistics have made it possible to import all kinds of fruits from around the globe. The "localised" naming seem to come afterwards.

It was not so many decades ago when orange (appelsiini) and lemon (sitruuna) were brought here.
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 3:24:12 PM

salesh2010 wrote:
My quest didn't meet fully. I guess the second fruit is not familiar to Europe.

That is correct. The fruit and its tree have a scientific name, but they are not generally known in everyday English.
Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:29:08 PM

Neurons: 16,769
People looking for natural weight loss panaceas (plural is artistic licence) know number two as Garcinia Cambogia. It is made into capsules and sold as a weight loss product in Canada and the US. I am not sure if it is still available as I believe it had side effects.

The first one looks like an organic lemon. Lol Whistle
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:32:30 PM

Hope2 wrote:
People looking for natural weight loss panaceas (plural is artistic licence) know number two as Garcinia Cambogia. It is made into capsules and sold as a weight loss product in Canada and the US. I am not sure if it is still available as I believe it had side effects.

The first one looks like an organic lemon. Lol Whistle

The things one learns here!

I did a quick "investi-google" and discovered that it is the quality of the extract that is suspected of causing liver problems, not the fruit itself. The Wikipedia article also calls it "gambooge" and states it is more closely related to the squash than to citrus fruits, yet is often confused with tamarind because of their similarities in use as a food.

The first one, "sour orange," is very common in the Caribbean, where I became aware of it, and is used both in preparing marinade and as a disinfectant.
towan52
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:13:34 PM

Neurons: 224,827
Angel Y'all should know that Walmart ain't got these Angel
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:26:07 PM

towan52 wrote:

Peter's IGA is seriously deficient in them as well…
Whistle
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:53:36 PM

towan52 wrote:

Welcome to our S-Market or K-Market ;-)
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:42:28 PM

Recently they are putting real citrus into a lot of natural cleaning products, as they have discovered the disinfectant properties of citrus, as Leon mentioned. (I have been using coconut based cleaning products for 35 years. I also use vinegar and baking soda and rarely have chemicals in the house.)

Some companies are putting synthetic lemon fragrance into cleaning products and it is actually a SUSPECTED carcinogen in rats - but no human studies have ever been done. So, it is considered to be safe, even to be a cancer preventive. Limonene or some such name. I am always a skeptic so I use only natural and organic citrus based oils or essential oils.

I used pure food grade Grapefruit Seed Extract to wash fruits and veggies during our stays in MX. One can ingest it to prevent travelers' woes or to kill off parasites or other digestive harmful creatures, or even an excess of bad yeast or bacteria. We were there a total of a year and neither of us ever got sick there.

It is amazing the antibiotic properties of many plants, including oregano and thyme. Well, maybe when you think of it, it is not so amazing, as the plants need those properties to protect themselves.

Edited to add an afterthought - the latest weight loss products are Raspberry Ketone with Green Tea, and Green Coffee Beans. It will be interesting to hear how well these work. The coffee is supposed to control sugar levels.
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:38:27 PM

Hope2 wrote:

Edited to add an afterthought - the latest weight loss products are Raspberry Ketone with Green Tea, and Green Coffee Beans. It will be interesting to hear how well these work. The coffee is supposed to control sugar levels.

Please, never use intentional ketosis as a strategy for weight loss or energy gain. I confess that I have used it tactically, for a particular moment and for a particular goal, but the consequences of chronic ketosis include severe and irreparable damage to the pancreas, liver, and brain.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:27:27 PM

Hi LA,

Not me. I do not use these weight loss aids. I have a sensible lifestyle. I just happen to hear about them in the health food industry. (The fact that you have to eat properly and exercise so these products can work, makes one smile.)

I lost a dear friend years ago, probably because she was always on a diet. I know about ketosis. And was it the Atkins diet that promoted ketosis? I cannot remember.

But are we talking about the same thing? I will have to check that out, as I do not know the mechanisms. It says it is the 'primary aroma compound of red raspberries'. My nutritionist will know next time I see him.

These two products are all the rage because of Dr. Oz on TV. You would think he would know.

Copied from website -
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/miracle-fat-burner-bottle

"Research has shown that raspberry ketone can help in your weight-loss efforts, especially when paired with regular exercise and a well-balanced diet of healthy and whole foods.

Raspberry ketone is the primary aroma compound of red raspberries. This compound regulates adiponectin, a protein used by the body to regulate metabolism. Raspberry ketone causes the fat within your cells to get broken up more effectively, helping your body burn fat faster. The recommended dose is 100mg per day. To get the same benefit from the whole fruit, you'd have to consume 90 pounds of raspberries."

Does it sound to you as if we are talking about the same thing?
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 7:28:16 PM

Hope2 wrote:

Not me. I do not use these weight loss aids. I have a sensible lifestyle. I just happen to hear about them in the health food industry. (The fact that you have to eat properly and exercise so these products can work, makes one smile.)

I lost a dear friend years ago, probably because she was always on a diet. I know about ketosis. And was it the Atkins diet that promoted ketosis? I cannot remember.

That's the one, really dangerous stuff if not done under close supervision.

Hope2 wrote:

But are we talking about the same thing? I will have to check that out, as I do not know the mechanisms. It says it is the 'primary aroma compound of red raspberries'. My nutritionist will know next time I see him.

These two products are all the rage because of Dr. Oz on TV. You would think he would know.

Copied from website -
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/miracle-fat-burner-bottle

"Research has shown that raspberry ketone can help in your weight-loss efforts, especially when paired with regular exercise and a well-balanced diet of healthy and whole foods.

Raspberry ketone is the primary aroma compound of red raspberries. This compound regulates adiponectin, a protein used by the body to regulate metabolism. Raspberry ketone causes the fat within your cells to get broken up more effectively, helping your body burn fat faster. The recommended dose is 100mg per day. To get the same benefit from the whole fruit, you'd have to consume 90 pounds of raspberries."

Does it sound to you as if we are talking about the same thing?

Yes, but I also think that your nutritionist will say that Dr. Oz is talking through his hat—well, not those words precisely.

Color me skeptical, but it sounds like a whole load of raspberry tarts to me.
Whistle
excaelis
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 8:55:23 PM

Neurons: 32,652
There are only two fruits in English : Strawberries, and Cream.

[edit] Is Pimm's a fruit ?
Hope2
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:49:44 PM

LA, strangely enough, in a waiting room today I picked up a magazine where the writer cautioned that the only studies done on the raspberry ketones were done on rats.

Dr. Oz is a cardiovascular surgeon who wanted to get the word out to people about how to prevent heart problems before they hit his operating room, so he turned to TV. So I do give him some credibility.

However, he has been swayed perhaps a bit too much by his wife's penchant for complementary care. I stopped watching a long time ago when he started becoming 'sensational prone'.

I have nothing against complementary medicine. Indeed I am still alive because of it when Western Medicine docs threw up their hands when I approached. But as this example shows, you do have to do your research. Most MD's have only a few hours training in nutrition. I have been lucky enough to find over the years two MDs who was/are also into complementary medicine with letters behind their names in that field. CAM.

They are both also nutritionist and body chemistry experts. I have picked a lot of doctor's brains over the years.

I take what my current one tells me to take. But I usually check it out first myself.
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:17:28 PM

excaelis wrote:
There are only two fruits in English : Strawberries, and Cream.

[edit] Is Pimm's a fruit ?

Strawberries? Cream? Pimm's?

You might need to surrender the Canucks jersey, eh?
Whistle
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:33:17 PM

Neurons: 224,906
Yes, ex, Pimm's is a 'fruit cup'.

I like the blue, spicy #3, but you don't find it in most places now.

Makes excellent hot punch!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 7:38:37 PM

Nearly every morning I eat yoghurt with raspberries, cranberries, whortleberries, strawberries, and blueberries.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:04:52 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Hot Pimm's ? Hmmm, never tried that. I seem to be running out of time. Every time I visit the liquor store they just keep adding new stuff. It's very hard to keep up, you know.