mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
favorite writing supplies. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:03:42 PM

Neurons: 3,101
What are some office and writing supplies for which you're a total sucker ? Ex. Post-its and the many snazzy products available from 3M right now.

The page tabbing ones are so darn helpful, in my book ! Sometimes quite literally.
bugdoctor
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:28:11 PM

Neurons: 5,456
I LOVE nice ink pens. Some don't live up to their reputations, but I do love using them.
coldhearted
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:49:42 AM

Neurons: 270
Why do they always give one (up to two) pieces of paper per one envelope in stationery sets? Letters are supposed to be longer than e-mails, aren't they? Anyway, no. 1 - stationery.
Ink pens are the best, no doubt about it. I was using brown ink couple of years ago and still don't know why I stopped - probably because I no longer attend lectures. But when I find stationery with more than one sheet available to write a letter, I'll definitely make it dark brown.
Black pencils and piles of small notebooks rock as well. I have paper-fetish, will look for an office job one day. The only thing that I can't stand are those garish pink/celadon thick markers people use to underline (spoil) important information in what they're reading.
Terri DC
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 5:45:24 AM

Neurons: 256
There's nothing like a pencil. That wonderful smell of a freshly sharpened pencil, mmmmmmm. I've just always loved using pencils.
nxt_annawintour
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 11:54:03 AM

Neurons: 135
I adore lead pencils. I have no idea why, because when they break it's SO aggravating, but there's something about the way it writes that I love.

DaughterOfTheKing
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:31:26 PM

Neurons: 227
I recently ordered the plain Bic stick pens. Using them reminds me of my high school days. You can't beat them for the price. I have taken to using a plain spiral notebook for my journal, my daughter prefers the composition notebook type. At any rate, by far, my office supply love goes to pens of all sorts! (Post-It arrows are a blast to use also!)
valenarwen
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:55:05 PM

Neurons: 1,025
I don't know how they are called, but i just LOVE the smell of those erasers which crumble when you rub them -different from the plastic ones- Does anybody know how they are called? I love lead pencils too...
Hillspeak
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:25:55 PM

Neurons: 87
valenarwen wrote:
I don't know how they are called, but i just LOVE the smell of those erasers which crumble when you rub them -different from the plastic ones- Does anybody know how they are called? I love lead pencils too...

I believe you mean MagicRub. We used to have to get them for art class in high school. I do like those erasers too, but my affection goes to the smooth writing pen. Also, I am quite fond of good quality all occasion blank note cards. Sadly these are hard to find for such a frugal buyer as myself.
bugdoctor
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 8:31:56 PM

Neurons: 5,456
As I said in a post above, I'm a sucker for nice fountain pens. That having been said, I also previously used the inexpensive Sheaffer cartridge pens. I liked them because I could fill the cartridges with regular ink by using a syringe. (I'm not really 'cheap', just..... frugal.)

I haven't seen any of them for sale in years. Are they still available anywhere?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 8:54:55 PM

bugdoctor wrote:
I LOVE nice ink pens. Some don't live up to their reputations, but I do love using them.

There's something so satisfying in using a pen which has ink that glides smoothly across paper. I have to experiment with which ones to buy. I hate finding ones that get tricky on certain surfaces. And buying a cheap bulk pack is usually a bad idea, at least with certain Staples pens, because they often write so terribly. Many lessons to be learned in this department ! Trial and error is a big one here.

I remember during college, I ran into a classmate at CVS while I was looking at a certain style of blue Papermate pens. We laughed about what geeks we were because we both loved the gliding nature of the ink of this exact kind of pen. And it was the kind people would conveniently, accidentally steal from you while borrowing the darn things.
MiTziGo
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2009 11:33:26 AM

Neurons: 6,142
I absolutely LOVE Sharpies and Uniball ink pens. They are my absolute favorites! I'm also partial to Five Star notebooks, college rule paper, and post-its. I'm so glad prolixitysquared started this post cause I love office supplies and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.
risadr
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 10:33:30 AM

Neurons: 3,545
I have been forbidden from entering office supply stores without a chaperone, as I have a tendency to either spend hours aimlessly browsing the aisles or to spend WAY TOO MUCH.

I love pens. And journals/notebooks. I have an entire drawer in my nightstand that is filled with journals just waiting to be written in.
RuthP
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 11:23:15 AM

Neurons: 87,618
I never new there were so many of us. For those of you who have not seen it, check out the Levinger web site At these prices, I'm usually just drooling, but I can spend a lot of time thinking about what I would do if I were to buy this or that.

Fountain pens, my true weakness.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2009 9:10:48 PM

risadr wrote:
I have been forbidden from entering office supply stores without a chaperone, as I have a tendency to either spend hours aimlessly browsing the aisles or to spend WAY TOO MUCH.

I love pens. And journals/notebooks. I have an entire drawer in my nightstand that is filled with journals just waiting to be written in.

Who decided that you're forbidden from entering office supply stores without a chaperone ?

I guess you have to pick a responsible chaperone and not someone who has the same purchasing weakness in this arena as you.

Sometimes it's so hard to fight myself in such situations. It's amazing what internal struggles we can have and how they can vary from one person to another.
Vayres
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:04:22 PM

Neurons: 117
I prefer good re-usable pens. I only have a simple Parker Jotter now, but hope one day for a fine pen that doesn't even use disposable refills. I want to refill from ink jar to pen with a syringe or dropper.

But when I look around that method or make seems very rare. Also design is often ugly. Too many pens look fat and overwrought, with too much black...

For notebooks, happily I found out about Moleskine not long ago. They have their share of unattractive notebooks, but they also make some I love: the simple brown kraft-paper bound ones, with fine pale yellow paper instead of too stark white.
risadr
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:00:47 PM

Neurons: 3,545
prolixitysquared wrote:
risadr wrote:

Who decided that you're forbidden from entering office supply stores without a chaperone ?

I guess you have to pick a responsible chaperone and not someone who has the same purchasing weakness in this arena as you.

Sometimes it's so hard to fight myself in such situations. It's amazing what internal struggles we can have and how they can vary from one person to another.

The first person to make that determination was my mother. Since then, various others have also told me that I'm forbidden. lol It's smart, though, for them to forbid me. It's something of an addiction I have, to office supplies. Particularly to pens and notebooks. Markers are a close second.

I have a similar compulsion to buy toilet tissue and socks every time I go into Target, though I've gotten MUCH better at controlling those urges over the past several years. haha
TB
Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2009 10:33:00 PM

Neurons: 4,277
There's just something about it, a simpler time, memories...I don't know, but I'll always reach for my good old No. 2 pencil before anything else.

[image not available]

If I can't find a No. 2 pencil I'll grab a Pilot G-2 pen.
thanh n
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 3:50:16 AM

Neurons: 159
MichalG wrote:
I absolutely LOVE Sharpies and Uniball ink pens. They are my absolute favorites! I'm also partial to Five Star notebooks, college rule paper, and post-its. I'm so glad prolixitysquared started this post cause I love office supplies and it's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

omygoodness, yes! Exactly the things that I wanted to say. I love Sharpies and Uniball ink pens. Those are the best writing materials ever. The Uniball pens just glide along the paper and the writing is so distinct. MM, I adore those pens.

And I love any notebooks (especially Five Star college rule) because when I happen to walk up to an empty notebook, I just want to fill up the entire notebook with words. Writing anything that comes to mind. Ahhh, I just love notebooks too. hahaha, MichalG, we're all crazy because when we all are, then we are all normal :]
Kat
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:55:35 AM

Neurons: 3,389
My husband recently turned me on to the Zebra fine point pen.
I dare say it improves my penmanship...alas, I can not find it
with blue ink. So I guess any pen comfortable to hold with blue
ink and a fine point would be my choice.
Do you think it's possible for certain pens, fine point or not, to
improve your penmanship?
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:26:37 AM

Kat wrote:
My husband recently turned me on to the Zebra fine point pen.
I dare say it improves my penmanship...alas, I can not find it
with blue ink. So I guess any pen comfortable to hold with blue
ink and a fine point would be my choice.
Do you think it's possible for certain pens, fine point or not, to
improve your penmanship?

I have noticed that the quality of a pen can effect my penmanship. If it's a shoddy pen that barely keeps the ink rolling, it's hard to keep my writing nice. But if the ball glides smoothly and well, my handwriting can suddenly seem more aesthetic. I'm sure I could write sloppily with a great pen if I wanted to. But I think a good pen can help the writing to look a little better or clearer if the writer intends that or enjoys writing with the utensil.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:31:26 AM

risadr wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:
risadr wrote:

The first person to make that determination was my mother. Since then, various others have also told me that I'm forbidden. lol It's smart, though, for them to forbid me. It's something of an addiction I have, to office supplies. Particularly to pens and notebooks. Markers are a close second.

I have a similar compulsion to buy toilet tissue and socks every time I go into Target, though I've gotten MUCH better at controlling those urges over the past several years. haha

What about how Staples reimburses you $3 per recycled ink cartridge for a maximum of ten per month, if you're in their rewards program ? Not that you'd have ten cartridges to recycle in a month's time, but I just received my $6 coupon for recycling two ink cartridges last month, and it's a nice treat to receive in the mail !

I'm sure there are other items you might more readily need from Staples besides the luxury stuff, but I think even with such a compulsion, you might deserve to use these coupons for supporting your own office supply vices ! If you don't participate in this program at this point, I recommend you sign up ! It's beneficial to know you're recycling too.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 11:32:03 AM

MichalG wrote:

I figured at least a handful of people on the forum might have a more than normal liking for such purchases !
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:15:31 PM

This is not necessarily a writing supply, but it's an office supply.

I often buy certain sets of very aesthetic stationery on Amazon.com, and they come with a triangular-shaped paperclip holding the stationery to its matching envelopes. The paperclips are neatly quaint, and I guess I just like that they're slightly different than the typically shaped paperclips I'm used to seeing.

I don't know that I've ever found these triangular paperclips in a store anywhere though.
JPK
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:36:47 PM

Neurons: 1,998
In the office, I am quite partial to yellow 3"x5" lined post-its. Anything is else is merely usable but feels wrong!

I also can't live without purple 0.5" Pilot pens. I like other colors, but I've been consistently using purple ever since I discovered they existed.
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:51:40 PM

Neurons: 39,962
I, too, have a serious problem with office-supply stores. I'm still unpacking boxes filled with writing accouterments from my previous homes. I'm typing this on a netbook sitting on top of one of those 'self-healing' cutting pads affixed to a Levenger molar-shaped lap-desk. But I would have to say that my most compelling addiction in this area is to mechanical pencils. I've got them in all available lead sizes, including two European styles I bought in Istanbul that I've never seen over here—one of them is an absurdly fat 2mm Faber-Castell and the other a strange rectangular-lead suitable for calligraphy called a Sinav/eskiz. That fetish couples nicely with a companion one about erasers. I've got that crumbly kind, and probably every other kind and color as well. For paper, I too love Moleskines, but any sort of grid paper is quite to my liking.
Luftmarque
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 12:58:04 PM

Neurons: 39,962
bugdoctor wrote:
As I said in a post above, I'm a sucker for nice fountain pens. That having been said, I also previously used the inexpensive Sheaffer cartridge pens. I liked them because I could fill the cartridges with regular ink by using a syringe. (I'm not really 'cheap', just..... frugal.)

I haven't seen any of them for sale in years. Are they still available anywhere?

That brings back some memories. I used to love those cheap-a*s Sheaffer cartridge pens, specifically because the ink they used did run so easily and well. I would draw cartoon clouds and quickly smear each arc away from the cloud to give them depth.