mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
So the days pass, and I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,378
So the days pass, and I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and whether this is living.

Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
stefanomarcelli
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:25:54 AM

Neurons: 45
Please could a gentle fellow tell me what Woolf meant by "silver globe"? Modern children surely cannot be hypnotized by nothing but any sort of screens of images (little exceptions are books). Was a silver globe an instrument for hypnosis or to make children sleep? Thanks.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:06:40 AM

Neurons: 16,769
I do not know, Stefan. I took it to mean anything shiny that you hold in front of a child/baby, and expanded from there, nowadays, anything that mesmerizes, such as an iPhone or the TV. Maybe toy rattles were made of silver in olden days?

I have often wondered the same thing as Woolf, just did not think it so succinctly. Are we are so busy 'living' that we forget to really live? Chase the dream, run here and there like ants, have to be busy on Saturday night and holidays, all the daily requirements in a busy household with children (nowadays in particular) - the list goes on.

I know I wish I had had different priorities in some areas in the past. (For one thing I would have not felt guilty when I ate chocolate! Whistle Seriously, I would have played more with my children instead of cleaning the house.)

Google Erma Bombeck's list of what she would have done differently.

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck
(written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.

I would have talked less and listened more.

I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.

I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.

I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.

I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.

I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.

I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.

I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.

I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.

When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, 'Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.' There would have been more 'I love you's' More 'I'm sorry's.'

But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute, look at it and really see it .. live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/glurge/bombeck.asp#MqMvJrtMMphlFBc8.99
stefanomarcelli
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:29:26 AM

Dear Hope2,

the Rolling Stones sang: "If I were a good man, I talked with you more often than I do".
Always there are stronger priorities winning over those feebler, and we live as we were eternal (and good men and women), as we really are in our theomagnetic original state, not individuals but tiny fragments of a Species.

Silver Globed Hypnotizing Regards :-)

Stefano
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:59:38 PM

Neurons: 248,537
Daemon wrote:
So the days pass, and I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and whether this is living.

Hypnotized by life, and whether this is living, may sum up her consciousness. She also said, after all, that:
"Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel" which may explain why she gave hers up.
My quick take is that perhaps life is then a tragicomedy because we cannot avoid thinking and feeling.

Hi Stefano,
My guess is that the silver globe was her figure of speech for "life", could be a Christmas ornament, but the emphasis
should be on the hypnotic effect of the reflection, ergo what she wanted conveyed, not sure if that was living.

By the way: What is theomagnetic anything to do with God?
Listening . . .
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:17:10 PM

Neurons: 3,950
Hope,

Love your post! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!
stefanomarcelli
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:54:33 PM

Verbatim wrote:

Hi Stefano,

Yes Verbatin, it does. Theomagnetism, is a neologism I use to explain "scientifically" the attraction (-magnetism) of God (theo-, the invisible component of beings) toward the visible component, the matter. This combination would be the life that fundamentally is electromagnetic. Those who really think - as Woolf seems able to do - or meditate or pray or study or sincerely follow whatever "Knowledge Way", lessen that attraction of God toward the matter and so contemplate the Divine Source beyond tragedy and comedy.
Jimbob
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:27:57 PM

Neurons: 486
So the days pass & I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life; & whether this is living. Its very quick, bright, exciting. But superficial perhaps. I should like to take the globe in my hands & feel it quietly, round, smooth, heavy & so hold it, day after day. (28 Nov. 1929)
``````````````````````````````````
Hi, Wolf’s prose style is poetic and heavily symbolic at times and I guess it is how the reader interprets it. Personally I think, as the day passes over into nighttime the “silver globe” appears, this I feel is in reference to the moon as it is the metal associated with it, (moon goddess. Selene). The fascination with the night-sky as a child is nothing new, and many an inspirational thought is connected with it. If one raises their hands towards the silver-moon it can give the impression of being held although superficial ie… of, effecting, or being near the surface. And to do so “day after day” is a state of change (flux), something that goes backwards and forwards whereas the past lends itself to the present (lunar cycle). A globe is also a light bulb (Godvery lighthouse), If one considers Wolf’s book ‘to the light house.’ St Ives in Cornwall, was her most vivid childhood memories, no doubt played a part in her works.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:21:28 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Good words, Hope, as I'd expect from you. This line is me :

Don't worry about who doesn't like you, who has more, or who's doing what Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.

Screw 'em. It's only money.
Hope2
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:36:11 PM

Lol, Ex. Love it! You do have a way with words!
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:27:06 PM

Neurons: 4,678
“So the days pass, and I ask myself sometimes whether one is not hypnotized, as a child by a silver globe, by life, and whether this is living.”

To Jimbob:

I like your thoughts that the silver orb was symbolic of the moon. I didn't think of that. I thought of it as being a silver pocket watch that men of the Victorian age might have worn. Something a hypnotist might use to hypnotize or mesmerize someone (*women) with. I thought of it as representing time; the hands of the watch ticking, moving endlessly round and round without a purpose or reference point except inside the clock. One is hypnotized by life…life is merely felt as a passage of time. Without a personal, meaningful, purpose, one’s life can feel this way; even if one fills it with all kinds of play pretties. And because Virginia Wolf’s life may have felt this way, trapped in a world which allowed her very little freedom to be and to exist as who she was, invalidating--violating-- the essence of her being, she may have asked herself if this was what living was all about when her life did not feel alive.

*I use the word women in my example, but it can be applicable to men as well. Men in the past, and even now, tended to smother the vital force that exists in women by invalidating them. This, I believe, is often done in a hypnotic and systematic way, by disassociating them of their true thoughts and feelings, robbing them of their identity.
Verbatim
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 12:55:31 AM

Neurons: 248,537
stefanomarcelli wrote:
Verbatim wrote:

Hi Stefano,

Yes Verbatin, it does. Theomagnetism, is a neologism I use to explain "scientifically" the attraction (-magnetism) of God (theo-, the invisible component of beings) toward the visible component, the matter. This combination would be the life that fundamentally is electromagnetic. Those who really think - as Woolf seems able to do - or meditate or pray or study or sincerely follow whatever "Knowledge Way", lessen that attraction of God toward the matter and so contemplate the Divine Source beyond tragedy and comedy.

Thank you, Stefano, for this most unusual explanation of your neologism. I kid you not, when I appended the other quote by Virginia Woolf
in my original post (prior to your kind reply) I was not remotely aware that one who really thinks --as Woolf seems able to do--may lessen
any attraction of God toward the matter and so contemplate the Divine Source beyond tragedy and comedy. But she really said that:
"Life is a comedy for those who think... and a tragedy for those who feel"; are you saying that she did not think, or that she could not so contemplate the
Divine Source beyond tragedy and comedy?

As you no doubt know Virginia Woolf was not exactly happy, in spite of her seemingly full life and accomplishments. Read the post by Marissa who touches
on Woolf's torment --nothing banal about that torment-- so tell me, please, can it be explained the way Marissa did, knowing full well that Woolf had
a marriage, a successful career, and a very potent mind? Or is there some other explanation for despondency and dread? Also, you Marissa,
would you like to comment beyond your post or amend it? Because we still don't know much about what causes apparently successful people to have such outlook on
life as Woolf did, and it is almost 100 years later.
Hope2
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 6:36:49 AM

So, we can create whatever imagery we want for the silver globe. A watch, a moon. Very interesting what active minds can come up with!

As for depression, it is a chemical imbalance of the Neurotransmitters in the brain. There are many causes of that. And there are also solutions.

Here are two pix of silver globe vintage baby rattles.

[image not available]

[image not available]
stefanomarcelli
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2012 2:09:33 PM

Dear Verbatim, really I do not know whether Woolf was a mystic person, possibly she was, but in a full way. Surely she was a writer, a greatest one. So she wondered and wrote about what is living, especially if living is a hypnotic-like state. :-)