Neurons: 13,151

hi all,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20309441

something interesting to read,
thus I got the link
thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:56:32 AM

Neurons: 92,574
this is a clip of the programme, that invented it.

Warning: continuous very bad bad language and gross taste!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

The thick of it Peter Capaldi ranting clips!

this is the same character being a bit more creative, actually more interesting to watch
Best of Malcolm Tucker (!)

but watch this FIRST to see a continuous clip to show how funny this programme is. And it is not continually swearing. Just most of the time Whistle

a gentler, single clip, from The Thick of It

leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:10:09 AM

Neurons: 31,086
The word "shambolic" is a tad dodgy to begin with.

I don't want, and I don't need this word.

This has been written from the perspective of an insufferable pedant, yet a lover of the language.

mister_moon
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 6:48:17 AM

Neurons: 96
I too am - according my loving family and my best friends - an insufferable pedant, however the term shambolic, although relatively recent, is reported by the OED to have been in use since at least 1958. It is recorded in such respectable sources as The Times newspaper and the Journal of the Royal Society of the Arts, which society was founded in 1754.

Your pedantry, leon, requires a modicum of updating to get it into the 20th century, while I fully understand, indeed share, any reluctance to leap too far forward into the 21st Angel.
leonAzul
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:03:24 AM

Neurons: 31,086
mister_moon wrote:
I too am - according my loving family and my best friends - an insufferable pedant, however the term shambolic, although relatively recent, is reported by the OED to have been in use since at least 1958. It is recorded in such respectable sources as The Times newspaper and the Journal of the Royal Society of the Arts, which society was founded in 1754.

Your pedantry, leon, requires a modicum of updating to get it into the 20th century, while I fully understand, indeed share, any reluctance to leap too far forward into the 21st Angel.

Yet it might have been recorded as a nonce word.

Just saying…
ellana
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:32:26 AM

Neurons: 127,363
I will avoid sending my ESL students to watch these video clips to practice their listening skills... both for content and accents
thar
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:17:05 AM

Neurons: 92,574
yes, it is not the best ****** ESL ex*****xample of how to ********* talk.

The accents, on the other hand, are very good, actually! All well-spoken English or well-spoken Scottish (Glaswegian I think but not the roughest) which is a very well-respected accent. I have read that apparently they taught Indian workers in call centres servicing Britain to use a Scottish accent because it is considered trustworthy and competent!Whistle
mister_moon
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:12:32 AM

Neurons: 96
Ah, leon, one senses you are wriggling a little. There is no evidence to support shambolic being a nonce word. Even if it had originally started out as a word coined for a particular and single occasion, it's continued general usage - at least informally - has lifted it out of that limited category.