mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Keeping words at tip of the tonque. Options
kruger
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:03:30 AM

Neurons: 471
Cheers!
Currently, I am preparing for a few of the most competitive exams in the world. Thus, I am obliged to learn a lot of new complicated words. The problem is I can merely remember only 30 % of what I have newly learned. From that, only a few reach my sub-conscious mind. so, i cannot readily use those words while having a conversation.In addition to that, I am getting perplexed and forgetting the most common verbs used in everyday conversation. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me a "panacea" for my problems. Links and materials are greatly welcomed.
witchcraft
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:18:55 AM

kruger wrote:
Cheers!
Currently, I am preparing for a few of the most competitive exams in the world. Thus, I am obliged to learn a lot of new complicated words. The problem is I can merely remember only 30 % of what I have newly learned. From that, only a few reach my sub-conscious mind. so, i cannot readily use those words while having a conversation.In addition to that, I am getting perplexed and forgetting the most common verbs used in everyday conversation. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me a "panacea" for my problems. Links and materials are greatly welcomed.

Quote:
What exams are they?
acrolyth
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:13:23 AM

Neurons: 129
kruger wrote:
Cheers!

Firstly I would try and relax. You will always forget stuff if you are tense. Easily said, I know, but you will probably find you can remember the words once the exam starts.

I thnk most people only take in 30% on the first learning, I know I do. I need to keep going back to the list every day and revising them. Gradually they sink in - even with me.

Good luck
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:34:58 AM

Neurons: 166,701
I don't remember where I read this but, if you use a word three times in conversations in a day, the word will be yours. Now granted, if the words you are looking to learn are at the vocabulary level of "panacea", then your going to have some pretty interesting conversations.
cat_cut
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:08:40 AM

Neurons: 141
In my case, I associate new words with things. so when I see the thing I associated with the word, I remember it. ^^
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:11:19 PM

Neurons: 12,855
The only panacea that would be legally available to you is caffeine.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:44:39 PM

Neurons: 58,266
You poor thing, Kruger. I sympathise entirely and absolutely LOATHE the system of these ESL exams which put so much stress on students.

Everyone here has offered you excellent advice regarding the mechanics so I've nothing to add in that regard (except to call on any English-speaking friends you have and tell them you shamelessly want to exploit them by talking with them as much as you can between then and now!)

However, I agree with Acroyth: try not to panic. This is really one of the greatest deterrents...and its one that is controllable.

You know, we all trust our brain when we want to get from Point A to Point B. Unless we have some physical or mental handicap we know that getting up our of a chair to get a glass of water means our mind is going to send millions of messages to our neurons, muscles, tendons etc. and get them to contract and expand and do their job of raising us from the chair and putting one foot in front of the other, yeah?

But we kind of do our brains a huge disservice when we imagine they can't be trusted to send the right messages in an exam situation.

Meanwhile, we trust our computers to work to send out messages converying our lack of trust in ourselves! So, trust your inner computer, or brain.

If you have inputted the correct data it is stored in the correct file and, trust me, it is available to be sent out on command. But every doubt you have sends the message Incorrect Command. And thats when glitches occur.

Your brain is a complex and very powerful machine and, if you trust it to allow you to get up out of your chair, then trust it to get you through this exam.

Your post was well-articulated and phrased and your use of the language showed above-average competancy, as Ephileon acknowledged. I know that you were probably able to edit it and make corrections. The thing is, your brain had the knowledge stored inside it to MAKE those corrections, didn't it?

Pay your brain a few compliments...it will appreciate it, I promise you! Trust it to do its job and don't hinder it with doubts or panic. They only clog up the workings. Tell it you rely on it to get you through and it will rise to the occasion.

And dont be too hard on yourself. Sure, there are going to be the odd words that escape for the time being. If you've looked around this forum you will see lots of people writing in and saying they've forgotten a particular word or phrase...and this from native English speakers! But they always recognise the correct word when someone reminds them. And they always know how to phrase the sentence another way to get round this temporary lapse...just as you do.

You are going to do just fine and, if you make an agreement to trust your brain, you are going to do better than just fine. You will excel! Your brains knows how to do that - just let it do its job!

(ps - if you can't have oral conversations in English, write. Anything. What you did today. Something that happened when you were a kid. Your hopes and dreams. Don't stop to look up words or polish. Just let your thoughts stream uninterrupted and, if the "correct" word alludes you, substitute another and KEEP GOING. You'll surprise yourself.)
bogdanno
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 2:59:13 AM

Neurons: 1,128
kruger wrote:
Links and materials are greatly welcomed.

for improving vocabulary, try these quizzes:
http://www.vocabsushi.com/
http://www.freerice.com/
kruger
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 5:20:35 AM

Neurons: 471
Thank you all for sending your suggestions. Especially, the links http://www.vocabsushi.com/ &
http://www.freerice.com/ posted by bogdanno is very useful. I humbly request others too to check those sites.
Orual42
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:34:56 AM

Neurons: 165
The easiest way I know to learn new vocabulary is to passively and actively learn it in context: Read example sentences and write them yourself. (Actually, reading is the best way to learn new words, period.)
Ketardously
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 5:08:27 PM

Neurons: 207
I also find reading one of the best ways to learn new words.
But to make them stay in your vocabulary, to really make the word yours, you have to use it a couple of times. Since I don't have many chances of using my recently learned words in speaking, I use them in writing. A lot.
It works! Write whatever, short stories, letters or your diary, and make sure to use the new words. It may feel silly, but it's extremely effective!

Good luck!