mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
left-brained vs. right-brained people ? Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2009 8:46:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
What are your opinions about the concept of being left or right-brained ?

I found this page (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html) and thought the dancer was moving clockwise, but then when I looked at it again, I swore she must have changed directions at some point.

I usually think of this topic in terms of people who are science & math-brained and those who are English & history-brained. I know that it's not that cut and dry, of course, but I have always been more in line the the latter. Math is not my thing. In general, I don't always understand science, but I instead consider it a very important earthly miracle.

My one nephew is sometimes called the human calculator. But the kid is awful at writing. I think there is definitely a balance evident in many cases.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 9:44:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 2,036
Neurons: 6,040
Location: United States
I don't know about the right and left brain part too much. I do know that in addition to being right or left handed - people are also right and left eyed and right and left legged. And it's not always the case the you're all one or the other.
Luftmarque
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 2:04:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 3,119
Neurons: 39,962
Location: Pau, Aquitaine, France


That is one fascinating little animation! I had sort of the opposite experience--I first saw it moving CCW, then when I looked at it again it was CW and I couldn't get it to shift back. As further evidence against the "cut-and-dried" simplification of brain hemisphere specialization, my own experience is that of being "English & Science"-brained and relatively deficient in the "Math & History" areas. I have always had an easy time with written language combined with a tendency to freeze-up in spoken language. A natural ability with scientific matters combined with an inability to retain higher math. Lots of musical skill combined with great difficulty in naming notes on the fingerboard and the loss of my ability to read sheet music after a couple of weeks of not doing it.

Vickie
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 3:34:19 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/30/2009
Posts: 2
Neurons: 6
Location: Idaho
What a fun exercise in switching brain use. The brain has the power to overcome the limits we perceive in ourselves if we are willing to exercise the time and patience to learn them. Using your brain in balance can be enhanced through using balancing exercises, like juggling, Tai Chi Chuan, yoga, and practicing the use of both hands in daily activities.

Thanks for the neat link.

MiTziGo
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 8:06:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,391
Neurons: 6,142
Luftmarque wrote:

That is one fascinating little animation! I had sort of the opposite experience--I first saw it moving CCW, then when I looked at it again it was CW and I couldn't get it to shift back.


I had a similar experience. Fascinating and dizzying at the same time! I was trying to switch it back for a second time but ultimately got too nauseated and had to close the animation. I'm sure I'll be trying it again in the near future.
Sarachan
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:22:28 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 63
Neurons: 189
Location: United States
I think there is something to the theory that people are naturally stronger in one area, but I also think that our formative experiences shape our skills later in life. I often think that if I would have had someone to guide my math/science interests when I was younger, then they might have come closer to matching my ability in the language/history realms.
Then again, maybe this is just my way of blaming my low math and science grades on my teachers! Liar
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:27:02 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
Luftmarque wrote:


That is one fascinating little animation! I had sort of the opposite experience--I first saw it moving CCW, then when I looked at it again it was CW and I couldn't get it to shift back. As further evidence against the "cut-and-dried" simplification of brain hemisphere specialization, my own experience is that of being "English & Science"-brained and relatively deficient in the "Math & History" areas. I have always had an easy time with written language combined with a tendency to freeze-up in spoken language. A natural ability with scientific matters combined with an inability to retain higher math. Lots of musical skill combined with great difficulty in naming notes on the fingerboard and the loss of my ability to read sheet music after a couple of weeks of not doing it.



That's funny-- I have a habit of saying things in the opposite of what I mean lately. I too saw it counter-clockwise at the beginning, but then it changed to clockwise once I looked at it a second time and couldn't see it as counter-clockwise after that. I don't know why I keep getting things backwards lately !

At least in foreign language, I had the same experience with my written vs. spoken skills. I had taken four semesters of French in college for a requirement with my degree, but I took German I just for the sake of filling up another elective in a certain category. I had taken German I in high school for this same reason my senior year, so I knew a bit about the language already.

I earned perfect scores on my written tests, but when the professor called on me, I would get flustered and not be able to say things well. I think she called on me often on purpose because it seemed like she was annoyed with this pattern, and perhaps in her mind she was convinced that I was cheating on my tests. I could be wrong with my assumptions about her behavior toward me, but I thought about this situation later and really wondered if it made her angry that I did so well on tests but that I couldn't articulate answers well in class.

You would think someone who teaches a foreign language would be familiar with that kind of problem or obstacle in some students' learning, but maybe not ? Then again, I will never know if my theory is right because I never talked to her about the issue.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:28:08 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,035
Neurons: 3,101
Location: pennsylvania.
Joseph Glantz wrote:
I don't know about the right and left brain part too much. I do know that in addition to being right or left handed - people are also right and left eyed and right and left legged. And it's not always the case the you're all one or the other.


I'm left-handed. I've noticed that I'm stronger with my right hand and arm, but I'm more coordinated with my left hand and arm.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:51:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 4,287
Neurons: 166,581
Personally I give very little, if any, authority to the entire left/right brain proposition. It seems that society as a whole is beginning to think that psychology is as much of a science based endeavor as physical medicine is, this is a complete fallacy. Please understand that I am not saying that valid individual differences in cognitive styles have not been observed by proponents of this proposition, however, they employ gross generalizations, simplistic explanations, and in general a lacking of proper scientific rigor. Psychology in general is infatuated with the brain these days, but will not make the commitment to marry into a proper scientific relationship with it. The dangers of the pseudo-scientific nature of psychology today cannot possibly be understated, but I think that I will cease this rant here as I tend to become vehement about this issue, and the question only concerned one area of psychology.
Galad
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2009 11:03:46 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2009
Posts: 2,582
Neurons: 10,532
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Being left handed myself, this is my favorite quote on the subject: Left handed people are the only ones in their right mind!
abcxyz
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:20:46 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,056
Neurons: 3,200
Location: India
prolixitysquared wrote:
What are your opinions about the concept of being left or right-brained ?

I found this page (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html) and thought the dancer was moving clockwise, but then when I looked at it again, I swore she must have changed directions at some point.

I usually think of this topic in terms of people who are science & math-brained and those who are English & history-brained. I know that it's not that cut and dry, of course, but I have always been more in line the the latter. Math is not my thing. In general, I don't always understand science, but I instead consider it a very important earthly miracle.

My one nephew is sometimes called the human calculator. But the kid is awful at writing. I think there is definitely a balance evident in many cases.


This is brilliant. The dancer is obviously turning anticlockwise, even though I admit I thought I saw her move clockwise too. You cannot tell it from the body of the dancer, because if you consider her motion from right to left and left to right separately, you'll see that the outline of her body would have remained the same had she moved in clockwise direction. Her shadow is the giveaway. When she moves from left to right, the shadow of her lifted leg appears. When she moves from right to left, the shadow of her lifted leg disappears. This happens because of the light source is supposedly behind her, and hence when the slightly lifted leg is away from the source, the shadow is out of the screen.

Does the above make sense?Brick wall Well, I'm not blessed with the power of expression and I'm right-handed(that's because I'm taught to write with my right hand)Eh? . In which category does that put me?Anxious
peterhewett
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:43:09 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/15/2009
Posts: 2,452
Neurons: 3,698
Location: In my head
Sorry folks but I don't get this despite trying hard. From

the start it appears to me she is moving clockwise and no matter how long

I look at the image, or try to alter it, the movement remains the same.

Yet I do not see myself as belonging to either the so called right or left

brain functions listed on the left of the page.

Aaaagh.... Egad! I am an alien. Hold .... the professor of gobbledygook, Einstein mark two, has said it is rubbish, so there must be hope for me.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:09:01 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/31/2009
Posts: 3,729
Neurons: 7,777
Location: here and there
abcxyz wrote:
prolixitysquared wrote:
What are your opinions about the concept of being left or right-brained ?

I found this page (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html) and thought the dancer was moving clockwise, but then when I looked at it again, I swore she must have changed directions at some point.

I usually think of this topic in terms of people who are science & math-brained and those who are English & history-brained. I know that it's not that cut and dry, of course, but I have always been more in line the the latter. Math is not my thing. In general, I don't always understand science, but I instead consider it a very important earthly miracle.

My one nephew is sometimes called the human calculator. But the kid is awful at writing. I think there is definitely a balance evident in many cases.


This is brilliant. The dancer is obviously turning anticlockwise, even though I admit I thought I saw her move clockwise too. You cannot tell it from the body of the dancer, because if you consider her motion from right to left and left to right separately, you'll see that the outline of her body would have remained the same had she moved in clockwise direction. Her shadow is the giveaway. When she moves from left to right, the shadow of her lifted leg appears. When she moves from right to left, the shadow of her lifted leg disappears. This happens because of the light source is supposedly behind her, and hence when the slightly lifted leg is away from the source, the shadow is out of the screen.

Does the above make sense?Brick wall Well, I'm not blessed with the power of expression and I'm right-handed(that's because I'm taught to write with my right hand)Eh? . In which category does that put me?Anxious


I find the dancer moving clockwise. Yet there have been occasions when i have felt that she is moving CCW. I am not sure
abcxyz
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:13:48 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,056
Neurons: 3,200
Location: India
I can make myself feel that the dancer is moving CW. You might try the opposite.

BTW, what do you think about my explanation?
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:09:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/31/2009
Posts: 3,729
Neurons: 7,777
Location: here and there
abcxyz wrote:
I can make myself feel that the dancer is moving CW. You might try the opposite.

BTW, what do you think about my explanation?


I have tried to make myself feel that the dancer is moving CCW, but I failed.
On reading your explanation, I've come to this conclusion: Whenever you say that the girl is moving from right to left, I take it as her moving from left to right when viewed from the top of her head, Thereby, giving me the impression that she is describing a clockwise circle. so at each point you asked me to consider I came up with the opposite conclusion to that of yours. I have no idea whether I am left or right brained.
abcxyz
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 9:50:49 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/13/2009
Posts: 1,056
Neurons: 3,200
Location: India
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
abcxyz wrote:
I can make myself feel that the dancer is moving CW. You might try the opposite.

BTW, what do you think about my explanation?


I have tried to make myself feel that the dancer is moving CCW, but I failed.
On reading your explanation, I've come to this conclusion: Whenever you say that the girl is moving from right to left, I take it as her moving from left to right when viewed from the top of her head, Thereby, giving me the impression that she is describing a clockwise circle. so at each point you asked me to consider I came up with the opposite conclusion to that of yours. I have no idea whether I am left or right brained.


Boo hoo!
TB
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:01:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/12/2009
Posts: 1,437
Neurons: 4,277
Location: America
prolixitysquared wrote:
I found this page ( http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22556281-661,00.html ) and thought the dancer was moving clockwise, but then when I looked at it again, I swore she must have changed directions at some point.
.



Who cares, she's hotDancing Whistle

(oink)

It's a fun exercise but seriously, does this visual address anything other than how the optic nerve interacts with the brain. Can someone post any related research data. Thanks

FWIW, I see only left turns, my wife sees mostly right and our ten year old son sees rapid changes both left and right.

26letters
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:07:17 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/25/2009
Posts: 679
Neurons: 2,050
Location: Your keyboard. (USA)
It started out CW, then went CCW, then CW - in fact, I found that while I was looking at the list, I could peripherally see her just swing half-turns, back and forth without completing a full circle. (So it isn't just blondes who have trouble making up their minds.)

If you watch closely, every now and then she dips out of the picture to throw up, then gracefully resumes position. Anxious
kay pirinya
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:26:32 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/23/2009
Posts: 55
Neurons: 164
Location: Turkey
She was dancing first CW and then CCW. And then I can see her turning either way. It may be related to the starting position you see her.
I'm right handed and mostly have left brain functions :)

My Left Hand

I got drunk
And thought of you,
My left hand
My awkward hand
My poor hand.

Orhan Veli Kanık - Turkish poet
Winnie
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 11:31:56 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/13/2009
Posts: 160
Neurons: 485
Location: France
Nice animation. I can make it turn in the direction I want, if I concentrate on it. Does it mean I can shift to whatever side of the brain I want?

I think it all depends on the moment you look at the picture, and not on the person looking at it.
Geeman
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:41:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2009
Posts: 1,787
Neurons: 125,022
Location: Whittier, California, United States
I find myself distracted by what a nice figure the dancer has....
.wichitarick
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:48:24 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/29/2009
Posts: 221
Neurons: 752
hmmmmm.

Has anyone tried watching this with an eye patch on?

I had this as a screen saver with Elton John singing tiny dancer for the background , in my very low tech. way, it was an inside joke to myself because of the very large amount of information Brick wall AHHHH! I had read and all of the "tests" I was given or administered by people with titles above their names.

Depending on what I want this dancer(thinking) to do is how I see it.

I,m sorry TB I may have some of the general gobbly- gook d'oh! Information on some of this but using the BLUE BRAIN thread as evidence I "think" it would just get me in a lot of trouble .Think -d'oh! .
That spl/_it brain information is real deep stuff. I thinkThink

Quote:
It seems that society as a whole is beginning to think that psychology is as much of a science based endeavor as physical medicine is, this is a complete fallacy. Please understand that I am not saying that valid individual differences in cognitive styles have not been observed by proponents of this proposition, however, they employ gross generalizations, simplistic explanations, and in general a lacking of proper scientific rigor. Psychology in general is infatuated with the brain these days, but will not make the commitment to marry into a proper scientific relationship with it. The dangers of the pseudo-scientific nature of psychology today cannot possibly be understated, but I think that I will cease this rant here as I tend to become vehement about this issue, and the question only concerned one area of psychology.
Speak to the hand That is my thank you to this person because if you really start looking at information on some of these subjects so much of it overlaps or leaves a person still looking for their answer (but they aced the test).
I am not negative though we can have so much fun Dancing with simple stuff .
Like my daughters whole class (9) that taught themselves how to eat, drink and write with the opposite hand ,then a week later used the other hand Think it was more difficult "re-learning" the original information than it was "learning" the first left vs right. R.C.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 1:29:51 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/31/2009
Posts: 3,729
Neurons: 7,777
Location: here and there
I saw it again and now i am sure the girl is dancing constantly in one direction. To me, it seems to be clockwise. I think one just has to concentrate on the tip of her toe on the leg that is raised. He will see that her toe is constantly describing the same circle in the same direction and sense.
Though i don't quite buy this thing about right-brained and left-brained. There are several parts/faculties of the brain which are responsible for different actions like sensitivity, intelligence, memory etc. That i well known. Every person has those, but certain faculties are more pronounced than the others. I don't think this animation-exercise is a good way to understand the strengths and weaknesses of one's brain. It all depends upon observation, and the latter can depend on so many external parameters.
RRP
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 8:01:18 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/29/2009
Posts: 165
Neurons: 514
I am only left handed when I write or throw. I assumed I was a pure southpaw for a long time. Now I know why it felt doubly strange when people would say to me, "Do you do everything backwards?"
York
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:01:42 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/22/2009
Posts: 95
Neurons: 3,845
Location: Savannah, Georgia, United States
Joseph Glantz wrote:
"I don't know about the right and left brain part too much. I do know that in addition to being right or left handed - people are also right and left eyed and right and left legged. And it's not always the case the you're all one or the other."

Doing research for a recent writing assignment, I learned that left-handers chew with the left side of their mouth and hight-handers chew on the right. Who knew? (Who cared?)
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.