mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Obama's speech to black church Options
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:49:13 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Arn't Politics entertaining?

Sorry, I forgot to say that was for unleaded petrol.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:59:33 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Do you guys still have the leaded option ? ( just curious )

I've rather enjoyed, in a demoralised sort of way, watching this thread develop. You should all go watch the movie ' Bulworth '.
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:52:24 AM

Neurons: 45,980
No ex, we have not had leaded petrol here since about 1996(?).

I am not demoralised by the content of this thread as politics can bring out the worst, and the best, in people.

I am surprised though at the choice of wording for the threadThink

'Obama's speech to black church'. I find this to be rather inflammatory in itself.

Maybe perc did not intend it to be so, but, that is the way it comes across.

I would have the same reaction if it was 'Romney's speech to white church'.
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:08:52 AM

Neurons: 3,404
Ray. I am not sure, but I stand to be corrected, that there are white churches per se. I was picking up on the headline and they were not my words. It was a black congregation.

Many black folk have a particular way of worshipping. Gospel isn't it? I have often watched them on TV and they are lively occasions.

Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:07:56 AM

Neurons: 39,933
May be the C of E should be a little more lively, might improve the numbers attending.
Klaas V
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:37:02 AM

Neurons: 4,802
@percival,

There is a small town in Netherlands where not only the church is white, the houses as well. The name is interesting in itself: Thorn

almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:25:13 AM

Neurons: 7,024
There is a small town in Japan whose name is obama.

[image not available]

[image not available]

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama is a city in Japan

Klaas V
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:56:54 AM

Neurons: 4,802
Blooper
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:19:46 AM

Neurons: 2,292
After million years of oppression. It's a gift from white people. Calling a black person "a black c*nt" is racist, but calling a white "white c*nt" is not racist.
Anti-semitism is a crime, anti-Islam is a freedom of speech/expression. (Just a comparison).
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:30:41 AM

ClubFavolosa wrote:
Weird such an argument as gas prices. $4 for a gallon is a lot less than almost €2 for a liter, the price for it here in Italy. One week ago at some places it was even a cent or 2 more than €2

1 gallon = 3.785 liters
$1 = ¥78(Oct. 2012)

U.S....$4.07 a gallon(2012)

Japan...¥150 a liter(Oct. 2012) ---> $1.923 a litter ---> $7.2788 a gallon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/gasoline_prices_around_the_world

Romany
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:59:29 AM

Neurons: 56,823
Blooper,

Where do you get the idea that calling ANYBODY a name which refers to the colour of their skin isn't racist? 'Course it is. My skin is white (well, a sort of yellowishy colour when I'm not tanned brown if one wants to be exact) I've always lived as a minority group in any country I've lived in and believe me, I've had lots of racist names hurled at me.

Racism is racism - seeing someone as different because of the colour of their skin or the shape of their eyes ...and thinking in terms of Them and Us. It's the mark of a stupid person and, unfortunately, there are stupid people in every population group in the world. No-one is immune.
Blooper
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 7:23:57 AM

Neurons: 2,292
Well Rom, I actually posted something that I don't agree with. I just think that racist acts/remarks by black people seem more "tolerable" than the opposite.
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:24:34 AM

FounDit
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:37:17 PM

Neurons: 68,079
Blooper wrote:
Well Rom, I actually posted something that I don't agree with. I just think that racist acts/remarks by black people seem more "tolerable" than the opposite.

It does appear to be that way, Blooper. Black people often refer to one another in racist terms not tolerated by anyone else.

A so-called minister like Louis Farrakan can call people White Devils, and talk about all of them needing to be killed, and hardly an eyebrow is raised, but simply mentioning the color of the President is enough to get a person labeled a racist by some folks.

Those who preach tolerance are often the most intolerant, it seems.
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:29:41 PM

And saying chingchong is not tolerated in the US, which I didn't realise.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/O'Donnell said she did not realise

But Cheech & Chong is OK.

Romany
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 12:21:52 AM

Neurons: 56,823
Blooper: - " I just think that racist acts/remarks by black people seem more "tolerable" than the opposite."

Not when you're on the recieving end, they aren't!

But it has often seemed to me that, in places where this applies, there is an uneasiness about the whole theme of racial relations.

If people REALLY hold convictions about how divisive and harmful it is to bring up people who see things in black and white (yeah, yeah, pun intended)then it is up to them to take a stand. Not, of course a violent stand, but a firm determination to live by one's convictions.

If one is lucky enough to live in a country where respect and certain inalienable rights apply to the whole population, and if, in that country epthets are flung about which denigrate people by applying racial slurs, then simply accepting such instances and muttering about them in private, will contribute to racial divisions which are are condemned by law.

Admittedly, many people use the word 'racism' to apply to all different kinds of intolerance: - cultural, religious, political, societal. And, while I believe these are just as insidious and unacceptable, these kinds of intolerance are so tied up in tangled skiens of Nationalism, Patriotism, religious conviction etc. etc. they are, undeniably, difficult to unravel.

But dividing the world into three major groups of Them and Us based simply upon our inability to order the form in which we emerge from the womb, seems to be to be the most base of all stupidities - because these forms are immutable: - unlike a person's religious or political affiliations. If one chooses to accept these divisions then one is, surely, contributing to the perpetuation of racism?

I have NEVER accepted epithets, unfairness or division directed at me, my children or my race. Nor those directed at others. I've demanded public apologies, fought for re-instatement and equality when necessary, and strongly rejected attempts at being treated differently simply because of my race.

Yet, strangely enough, I have encountered people who have told me that I, MYSELF am racist because of this, because I am Caucasian - a stance I have not, to this day, understood.Surely the idea that one particular racial group does not have the right to stand up and fight division because of race, IS the epitome and illustration of the term 'racism'?

Hope2
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 1:14:14 AM

Neurons: 16,769
Quote Blooper -

"Anti-semitism is a crime, anti-Islam is a freedom of speech/expression. (Just a comparison). "

Hi Blooper,

This is not true. They are both the same and have to follow the same national rules for being published.

Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. Libel is libel.

And violence is NEVER right.
Hope2
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 2:56:14 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Going back to the original accusation about Mrs. Obama - I think what we were all trying to say was that she told them to vote for sure. And it does not matter who was in the audience BECAUSE she did not tell them WHO TO VOTE FOR. She may have been hoping they would vote for her husband. But she also knows that they may have their own ideas.

It has always been perfectly correct to urge people to vote, just not for WHOM to vote.
Maggie
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 3:07:58 PM

Neurons: 2,128
Romany wrote:
Blooper,

Where do you get the idea that calling ANYBODY a name which refers to the colour of their skin isn't racist? 'Course it is.

Just because one refers to my color in a derogatory tone doesn't necessarily mean it's a racist remark. It's definitely a RACIAL remark, but the two are entirely different.

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
racist adj. & n.

If one uses the work 'honkie' to refer to me, it's definitely derogatory. It's meaning is:
hon·ky or hon·kie also hon·key (hôngk, hng-)
n. pl. hon·kies also hon·keys Offensive Slang
Used as a disparaging term for a white person.

But by the true definition of 'racist', the user of the word must also mean it as a reference to an ethnic inferiority.

We've gone overboard in this country in our use of the term 'racist'. Many now use it to refer to anyone who differs in opinion with one who is black. Chris Matthews, A noted newscaster (and I use the word 'newscaster' loosely) has even said that when a white person uses the word 'Chicago', it can be racist.

Here's the citation:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/08/chris-matthews-says-chicago-is-secret-racist-codeword-video/

Imagine the reverse...........

almostfreebird
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 10:24:09 PM

(Music)

Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young

Chicago