mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
SpeechJammer Earns Ig Nobel Prize Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,128
SpeechJammer Earns Ig Nobel Prize

If you have ever had the desire to silence a blowhard, you need the SpeechJammer, a device that disrupts a person's speech by playing it back with a slight delay, confusing the speaker just enough to stop talking. Its inventors were among those honored this year with Ig Nobel Prizes—a parody of the Nobel Prizes—for achievements that "first make people laugh and then make them think." Other awardees include psychologists who found that leaning to the left makes the Eiffel Tower seem smaller, physicists who devised an equation that predicts the shape of a ponytail, and a Russian company that converted old ammunition into diamonds. More...
richsap
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 7:39:56 AM

Neurons: 1,510
Oh, how I need a "speech jammer" here where I work! Please, Santa Claus, bring me this one gift!!
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 8:15:44 AM

Neurons: 3,404
How about a Post Jammer
MTC
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:51:47 AM

Neurons: 8,606
On the flip side of the coin, using similar technology Delayed Auditory Feedback Devices ("DAF") helps stutterers stop stuttering. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/20/AR2010122004678.html I have seen the device which looks like a hearing aide in actual use.

According to the Reuters article, another, more alarming Ig Nobel prize was awarded to a French researcher who discovered a method to minimize the chances of exploding gases during a colonoscopy. Ouch!