mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Need some help with a presentation Options
vkhu
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 8:27:16 AM

Neurons: 6,423
I have to prepare for a 5-minute-long oral presentation about the "job opportunities for postgraduate students" and I'm currently a little lost as to what content should I put in and how should I organize them. Can someone help me with the general layout? I don't need anything specific, just something like "first talk about difficulty then talk about solutions" and such
Wordscrafter
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 12:53:17 PM

Neurons: 260
Here are my tips from a seasoned lecturer. Please, note that this method is very anglo-saxon, and may need some cultural adaptation with the audience you lecture.

The main advice'd be to tell your audience right from the start what you want to tell them. Be clear and straightforward, keep it simple but be explicit, so that they know what you're aiming at. And it'll be easier for you to follow your outline as you have stated your direction loud and clear.

And for a fine tuning of the organisation of your discourse, I advise you to search the internet with the keyword: "speech outline templates";

Furthermore, here are the steps to follow to craft your prez or lecture:
1st, write down everything that comes to your mind about the topic. No censorchip. Collect everything relevant. Research, ask.
2nd, among those data, hierarchise your points. Decide wich element is worth being emphasised, which one is the most important, then second, third, etc. In the end, you should have some kind of "podium", with at least three main points. Theses 3 points should be emphasised during your prez.
3rd, decide a layout, an outline, a roadmap that you'll follow. This outline should put these points in perspective, like a synergy. As a beginning, decide on a striking fact, for example, to grab the audience's attention. All along your prez, be careful to continually recap, summarise your preceding points, with a nice global one at the end.

Good luck, and enjoy public speaking, it's rewarding!
Romany
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 2:51:30 AM

Neurons: 57,403
VK, I don't think you need any more advice: Wordscrafter has encapsulated it all so neatly you can't go wrong.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:45:39 AM

Neurons: 627,708
Someone said, "Tell your audience what you're going to tell them. Tell them. Then tell them what you told them".
The "Tell them" part should consist of three points only.
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 5:19:03 AM

Neurons: 31,086
Burma!
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:40:28 AM

Neurons: 31,086
vkhu wrote:
I have to prepare for a 5-minute-long oral presentation about the "job opportunities for postgraduate students" and I'm currently a little lost as to what content should I put in and how should I organize them. Can someone help me with the general layout? I don't need anything specific, just something like "first talk about difficulty then talk about solutions" and such

Please forgive my silly sense of humor. The expression "Burma!" is a reference to a comedy skit wherein someone panicked and exclaimed "Burma!"

The point is, don't panic.

This is very germane to the topic of postgraduate employment opportunities.

By this time you should have learned a very useful tactic, to which both Wordscrafter and jacobusmaximus have alluded: tell them what you are going to tell them, then tell them.

This works a number of ways.

As a point of reference, it keeps the presentation on track. Any deviation from the point is immediately noticeable.

As a rhetorical device, it repeats the the thesis and supports it by repetition, although if the underlying arguments are weak, critical listeners will hear that.

Speaking from the heart, my best advice is to sell your demonstrated ability to learn what is required of you to be successful. The point of an education is not to acquire marketable facts, but rather to acquire the marketable skill of quickly getting up to speed within a particular knowledge domain.

Standard disclaimer, your mileage may vary.

Ray41
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 2:47:53 AM

Neurons: 45,980
One mistake made by a lot of first time, or nervous presenters, is to look directly at the audience.

This distracts you from what you are 'thinking to say next' and it all goes pear shape!

The secret is to 'appear to be looking at the audience', but, you should actually focus on an object behind, and just above them.
It could be a light above a door, a visible mark on the wall, etc. This allows you to focus entirely on your presentation as you are not distracted in any way.
No matter how well you are prepared knowledge wise, all is lost if you fail to deliver.

Trust me, this works, as I have been chairperson on many committees and used to suffer so severely from nerves that I would often lose my way when addressing the members.

I was given this valuable piece of advice by an old and well seasoned orator after he observed my difficulty. I remain eternally grateful to him.Applause
excaelis
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 3:50:49 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Leon, I think Terry Jones forgot the script and then it went pearshaped from there.One of my all-time favourites.