mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is Organic Food Really Better for You? Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,641
Is Organic Food Really Better for You?

Growing organic food may benefit the environment, but does eating it improve your health? Doctors at Stanford University in the US set out to answer that question by analyzing 237 studies that compared organic and conventional foods. Among their findings was the fact that organic produce had a 30 percent lower risk of containing detectable levels of pesticides. Furthermore, bacteria found in non-organic chicken or pork had a 33 percent higher risk of being resistant to multiple antibiotics. However, researchers say they found few other health benefits from eating organic food. More...
maybemay
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:37:36 AM

Neurons: 3
I've read the article and it seems to me that the title is misleading. There is a definite advantage to organic foods.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:43:14 AM

Neurons: 6,180
maybemay wrote:
There is a definite advantage to organic foods.

Feel free to expand on that a little.
teacherwoman
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:12:11 PM

Neurons: 485
The advantage of organic food is that it benefits the environment, which is good for us in the long run.

Organic foods are produced with as little impact on the environment as possible. The use of fertilizers is restricted, pesticides are banned, and ideally, the food is produced and consumed locally. I think this is a huge advantage.

Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:44:34 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Why would anyone expect in the first place that there would be more nutrients in a food just because it is organic? Nutrients come from the soil. If the soil is depleted, then there are fewer nutrients. (I am assuming they checked for all the little trace minerals too as land used over and over, tends to get depleted.)

BBC says 'Organic Food Not Any Healthier'.

However, I think the title saying organic food does not improve your health is misleading. Just because it does not provide more nutrients does not mean it is not beneficial. How can they say a person's health is not better when they are receiving fewer chemicals, hormones, GMO's, and antibiotics? That is WHY you eat organically grown food - to cut down on those in your body. 'In the good old days' everybody ate organic food. But then drug and chemical companies told us we needed chemicals to make sure of the food supply as the world population increased, and we, here, bought it. Apparently there are far fewer chemicals allowed in food in some European countries (such as Germany had only 13 at one point) than the hundreds allowed in Canada and the United States. I read this previously and do not have time to research updated statistics right now, so may stand corrected on the numbers. (And I am not talking about additives that have proven to be harmless for many years.)

I believe the studies they collated were short term (only two years) with many variables, and were not done like scientific medicinal trials. I have little faith in the memories of people. Furthermore - note that there were only 17 of the 237 studies that even compared how people fared, and none were long term

Quote from article -
"The Stanford team combed through thousands of studies to analyze the 237 that most rigorously compared organic and conventional foods. Bravata was dismayed that just 17 compared how people fared eating either diet while the rest investigated properties of the foods themselves."

They say the chemicals in food are 'within safety limits'. But do they ever consider the aggregate numbers?

I am sitting here right now in the doctor's office for a three hour plus appointment (thus the long post ;-)) for IV treatment, along with about twenty- five other people. (Our Medicare does not cover these expensive treatments - they do cover the MD consults - but some of us do have extra private coverage that does cover these drugs. Many pay out of their own pockets and we drive long distances.) We have varying types of illnesses, from allergies to everything including food and chemicals, to cancer, to autism, and many more. But most of us have damaged immune systems from toxic metal and chemical poisoning and I have not talked to anyone who did not feel they were better off having these substances removed. Especially the mothers of the autistic children I have talked to. It is a heartbreaking sight to see these poor kids and their struggles. (I am not saying these illnesses, including autism, do not have other causes, just that these treatments do help.) And we wonder why we have explosions in the numbers of cancer, autism, and asthma to name a few. Chemicals have been cited in obesity too, if I recall correctly.

There was a big to-do here a couple of years ago where some politicians had the toxin levels in their blood measured and they could not believe their high levels. But I do not remember anyone putting the knowledge into action.

The study criticized organic food saying it is not 100% organic but NO food can be 100% organic these days because of wind and water run-off, unless it comes from the top of Mount Everest. In all those farms up there. ;-)

People who eat organically certified food know these facts already. When it is available, I have been eating organic food for thirty five years, long before it became the 'in' thing. This article is not going to stop me from spending a little more for my health. It actually saves me money in the long run because I rarely eat restaurant food, and when I see those gorgeous looking, awful tasting colored cakes in the bakeries in the supermarket, I can walk right by, dismissing them as 'poison'. Works for me, anyhow.

Also, to digress a little, there was a letter-to-the-editor in the paper this morning by a gardener lamenting the disappearance of beneficial bugs like the "Praying Mantises, dragon flies, green lace wings, and daddy-long-legs". The gradual disappearance of honeybees was not mentioned but should have been. "This means fewer pollinators for our food, and less food for birds and bats," and the chain goes on till "humans themselves will become endangered". I sarcastically wonder if sprayed chemicals have anything to do with this. (Organic farming is more labor intensive. We complain about high unemployment rates, but have to bring in agricultural migrant workers. Ironic.)

So people also eat organic for environmental and animal concerns. Organic producers often try to promote Fair Trade policies, too.

What a waste of money to do this analysis. Are they just trying to put the organic farmer out of business? Daemon's source says the funding was done by the university. A source I just found says the funding source was listed as 'none'. Disclaimer - I am not online to verify any of the information I have posted so this is just my opinion and should not be used to sway your opinion about chemicals and their uses.

This article says it better than I did. I did add this research upon getting home before posting. It mentions that there are many other benefits to eating organic - no GMOs, no irradiation, no Bovine Growth Hormones, etc.

http://www.infowars.com/flawed-organic-foods-study-really-just-a-media-psyop-to-confuse-the-public-about-organics-while-pushing-gmos/

Sorry for ranting but this topic, as you can see, is very dear to my heart (and health).
I hate it when the media spins things.

One last thing - organic tomatoes taste like tomatoes should, and small organic local strawberries from small farmers taste like strawberries should. (I do not like the big, wooden, organic strawberries that have been bred to be large. Organic farming is also being taken over by the few big food producers who recently voted to allow carrageenan in organic food.) I am afraid my great grandchildren will never know their wonderful flavor. Organic chicken and beef are very tender and much more flavorful. The one time in a pinch that I cooked a regular turkey, everyone complained.

So as far as I can see, the only downside to organic food is the price. I know you all have your own opinions about this topic.

But as a favorite broadcaster used to sign off, "That's the way I see it, anyhow".

You can do your own research and come up with your own conclusions. I hope you never have personal complications from toxins.
Hope2
Posted: Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:58:09 PM

Neurons: 16,769
I know I am beating a dead horse as most people don't care about this topic of Organic Food. But Pesticides are made to kill pests. Just because we are larger and are not killed off immediately like a bug, does not mean that chemicals do not alter our cells in many ways. Our immune systems, our reproductive organs, our fat cells causing obesity etc. They affect every organ of our bodies.

Heather Mallick of the Toronto Star takes up my cause in today's paper.

"This is Granny Science, meaning it's science your grandma could have told you."

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1253469--mallick-organic-food-is-better-tasting-and-better-for-you

:::::

Also in the Toronto Star today a feature article by Corey Mintz tells of real life experiences with chemicals of a farmer from Sri Lanka who now runs an organic grocery in Toronto.

When the farmer/grocer was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, the doctor asked if he had ever used pesticides. He said he had and his deceased brother had too, when they were farming. I cannot bring the story up online yet.

The story starts "If North America was (sic) a fictional world in a sci-fi picture, and we saw the people eating food sprayed with poison, we'd know that it is not a good idea. But when asked to pay a dollar for an organic lemon, we will fiercely defend the belief that we are entitled to an abundance of inexpensive food. I'm no proselytizer for organic produce, but if we could afford to, we'd all choose not to eat pesticides."

Maybe I should have put this in the Medicine/Health subforum?
sashakta
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 1:06:55 PM

Neurons: 6
Yes of course ..
It very useful for use any types related like for Dinner, at breakfast, with lunch, and for health fitness. they are more valuable for use. i always prefer it in any condition.
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 1:34:17 PM

Neurons: 31,166
Hope2 wrote:

Maybe I should have put this in the Medicine/Health subforum?

I think not, because the issue covers a lot of territory. Some of it has to do with evidence-based medicine, and some of it has to do with consumer awareness and possible fraud.

The complete elimination of all possible toxins and contaminants in food is not practical. Instead, guidelines and procedures are outlined, and these are promoted and enforced by different agencies.

As a consumer fraud issue, definitions and certifications have been developed to clarify what the label "organic" means.

This article further explores the question of what, if any, benefits there are to organic food, based on the evidence, and whether it is worth a premium, or is in fact a scam.

This last question becomes rather complex when one weighs the advantages of economy of scale and the different practices required to ship foods over long distances, with the savings available to local producers who do not use methods requiring expensive chemicals and transport, along with the obvious taste advantage of truly fresh produce.

Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:40:34 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Any thing grown with less chemicals has to be better.

Although I am not convinced about organic taste, I cant tell the difference.

Just make sure you wash all vegies and fruit.
ithink140
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 10:01:44 AM

Neurons: 17,922
I never buy organic food unless the price and quality is right. I have tried it and as far as taste goes found no difference. I go on price and what I consider to be value. For example if there were two cauliflowers alongside each other one yellowed and the other white I would buy the white one regardless as to whether or not it was organic or otherwise.

I am not persuaded as to the claimed benefits with regard to 'organic' food. In practical terms, as things stand, the world would starve if it had to rely on the supply of organic foods.

Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:24:07 PM

Neurons: 39,933
I agree ithink, the fresher the better.

You can usually tell by touch, no I am not a tomato squeezer, it there is a chemical residue, its slightly oily.