The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Stuffed to the gunnels Options
Vladimiris
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:51:47 AM

Neurons: 297
Olympics venues are "stuffed to the gunnels" with sports fans, London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has insisted amid a row over empty seats.

He spoke after hundreds of seats were left unfilled on Saturday and Sunday morning at events including swimming, rowing, tennis and basketball.
"I don't think you will be seeing this as an issue, long-term through the Games," he said.

What is the meaning of stuffed to the gunnels?
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:01:45 AM

Neurons: 27,478
Vladimiris wrote:
Olympics venues are "stuffed to the gunnels" with sports fans, London 2012 chairman Lord Coe has insisted amid a row over empty seats.

He spoke after hundreds of seats were left unfilled on Saturday and Sunday morning at events including swimming, rowing, tennis and basketball.
"I don't think you will be seeing this as an issue, long-term through the Games," he said.

What is the meaning of stuffed to the gunnels?

The word "gunnel" is a phonetic respelling of the word "gunwale," which is a nautical term that refers to the topmost edge of the side of boat. The phrase "stuffed to the gunwales" means much the same as "filled to the brim".

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
redgriffin
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 10:43:17 AM

Neurons: 149,173
Stuffed to the Gunnels means that every inch is safely full.
thar
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:46:09 AM

Neurons: 73,198
I would question 'safely'

the gunwale is the top rim of the boat. If you fill it to that level with cargo, you are absolutely stuffed - hope for calm water!

leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:11:48 PM

Neurons: 27,478
thar wrote:
I would question 'safely'

I'm with you there.

"Stuffed to the gunnels" has the connotation of being dangerously close to the limit of stability.

If you had ever been in a kayak "stuffed to the gunnels" you would know exactly what it means. Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
alivianight
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 1:51:34 PM

Neurons: 3
I saw the diagram picture of my upper post, It very interesting and so hard.

Nightlife guide
munro88
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2012 3:00:54 PM

Neurons: 126
Lord Coe 'stuffed to the gunnels' meant that all the seats had been sold,there was no more
seats to be had, but this has like a starters gun to start a athletic race which has developed a fault 'backfired' on him. As soon as it was announced that tickets for this prestigious event would be available, thousands of applications were received and many were very disappointed to learn that their application was unsuccessful.Such people would have dearly loved to be present - a opportunity of a life time - a one and only chance - never to be repeated.

Lord [Seb] Coe must have been in a trance and going back to his days of training to be an athlete no doubt many hours were spent in running across fields, country tracks which were muddy,his dreams of running on tracks of the standard set for today's athletes were yet to
be finalised.

He had to take the rough with the smooth and no doubt he may during that time have slipped down and landing face downwards his face and clothing came into contact with some mud or
deposits left by animals. A good description of how he must feel at this present time. Perhaps his trance saw into the future of their being 'invisible people' who were occupying those seats which to everyone else the seats were empty.