mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
God is for men and religion is for women. Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,541
God is for men and religion is for women.

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)
pi
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:15:54 AM

Neurons: 263
Insightful! Ideas are for men. Practice is for women.
maillady
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:08:28 AM

Neurons: 3,375
Football is for men and shopping is for women.
ravenmaven
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:12:24 AM

Neurons: 69,665
One is master the other is slave
thar
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:21:27 AM

Neurons: 92,591
I am SO not touching that one.

Just a passing thought for the assumptions behind it though (no idea if Conrad was writing a character, or his own thoughts, and whether he was being serious or mocking....)
but, to all those of the monotheistic paternalistic Abrahamic and many other world religions, that have 'God's that are 'creator, nurturer, source of all life, source of comfort, food and shelter, forgiveness' (available in some religions only) -- you do know you are describing a godly version of a female here?

When those male adherents of those religions went up to heaven, and stood in judgement before Her, with their claims of knowing 'god' (while women do 'religion'), and debating whether women have souls, or should be allowed to be priests....
....you really got some 'xplainin' to do!!
xsmith
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 9:24:50 AM

Neurons: 4,497
God is for all humanity. Religion is an industry: schools of divinity, bible colleges, professorships in liberal arts colleges, Vatican City (the Wall Street of Catholicism), jobs for the priesthood, retirement plans, professional development requirements, yearly conventions to discuss corporate policies of churches, bank accounts, securities portfolios, television productions, etc.
stan_n
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:10:33 PM

Neurons: 15
I just can not understand this thought !?!

Are not God and religion equally for all of us?

And are not men quite connected to women? But I think that much more connected are God and religion!

I take it, that religion is a gift bestowed to us by God, so that we can learn His Commandments & wise messages and use them as the fundamental guiding principles in every moment of our lives!

But why should we know them and comply with them?!? Why is that?

In my view, only thus we all can live really long and peaceful lives! Only thus everyone can be highly virtuous and knowledgeable and happy and productive! Only thus people will be least destructive!!

But won't we lose our freedom then?!

I think we won't, because true freedom for people is to be independent of vices and to depend on virtues?
Lani
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:15:10 PM

Neurons: 312
I think that religion is from God.
Reciprocally, are women born from men or men born from women?
almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 2:49:17 PM

Neurons: 7,024
Religion is from fear of death, fear of the unknown.

As time goes by, it becomes industry.

God is a universe and nobody knows about it.

Edit:
God is a universe -> God is the universe

jcbarros
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:38:01 PM

Neurons: 9,377
Maybe there is no God and religion is just commerce.
dusty
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 4:21:43 PM

Neurons: 5,765
While he does say some profound words that are like foundational or universal truths when communicated via written form of the English Language, there will always be persons who do not understand or those who do understand buy choose to interpret a different message.

Unless or until the time comes when we hear each others thoughts, it is extremely hard for anything that is said or written to be understood (which is what communication is, a sharing of thoughts, ideas, desires, etc... When that sharing results in a complete understanding, communication has taking place)

It is impossible for anything written or said and therefor transmitted then received, to be completely understood by ALL human beings.

Typically anything written or spoken is only completely understood by one other person. The only way that anything written or spoken can be completely understood by ALL People, is to have the words used honestly in Truth and allow for any and all genuine questions to be openly and honestly asked then promptly openly and honestly answered. True love or real respect and reverence are often the only things that inspire human beings to act in ways that are responsible enough to be considered sacred in God's eyes.

God's message does not include subtleties. nor does it employ a secrecy or arrogant tone. God's Word does not hide the truth from the people, it is only that the concepts may be hard to understand. When the truth is intentionally hidden, this is the work of man.

The easiest way to tell the difference is that God would not punish you for honest questions, as God desires for you to completely understand. A complete understanding brings comfort to the People.

Man does not care whether or not the People understand. He only cares about maintaining his control, through dominance over the People. Such a dominance is undeserved. A Master who is deserving of your submission, would not be OK with the sub feeling forced to submit. A Master would not use misleading words or distribute information that was not responsibly used Truth.

The Master would not want to be called "Master" as The Master would be like that as a servant or better yet a teacher. One who could teach each and every person to KNOW and Understand themselves so that they would choose to be responsible enough to be unrestricted full fledged Human Beings on Earth (known as Heaven) as apposed to probationary Humans on Earth who unintentionally work to create Hell.

Thank God that we are all probationary. Although it is quite sad that so many evidently behave as undeserving dominants, for the most undeserving will not have dominance over even themselves after this life, for their continued existence will depend on something more caring, loving, compassionate, understanding, and respectful than they were capable of being.
Superatheist666
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:33:28 PM

Neurons: 3
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary: men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." Joseph Conrad, Under Western Eyes

I am inspired also by the words of Phillip Appleman who recently appeared with Bill Moyers on PBS. Podcasts are available.
MTC
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2012 7:12:26 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Daemon wrote:
God is for men and religion is for women.

Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)

Even Homer sometimes nods.
Jimbob
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:57:14 AM

Neurons: 486
Joseph Conrad 1857-1924
God is for men and religion is for women
`````````````````````````````````````````

Horatio and Eve on education by me
Horatio : Is our gender male or female specifically aimed at a fair system and rather, subject to in historical times gone by ?
Eve : Yes and no. Metaphors of family life, and how we interact, effectively the way we relate to one another. Chronologically God has been depicted as a male, whereas perhaps religion is depicted as a community, a family life from which females give birth.
Horatio : yes Eve, but neuroanatomical and genetic differences play a part in our development. There can be no true equality because we all have a role to play in the ‘coup de theatre’. Sure the woman’s liberation movement, ‘burn the bra’ laughs, played a role in the development of social politics.
Eve : Funny guy aye ! Androgens such as testosterone have given you my dear Horatio bone and muscle mass therefor you are, shall I say have a physical advantage. Nevertheless this does not make you more or less intelligent than myself.
Horatio : Similarly estrogen being your steroid hormone my dear. [No wonder that guy sold 7 million books “men are from Mars women are from Venus."]
Eve : [Sounds to me the title at least, like something straight out of Shakespeare’s works.]
Horatio : I guess gender awareness is essential rather than a universal like mindedness, because after all we are, ‘as different as chalk and cheese.’
Eve : You have such a way with words Horatio. But remember institutional worship was introduced and organised and still is through education. It’s always been that way and theatrically should lead to equal opportunity.