mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
To be blind is not miserable; not to be able to bear blindness, that is miserable. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,541
To be blind is not miserable; not to be able to bear blindness, that is miserable.

John Milton (1608-1674)
Christine
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:20:25 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Most people think our sight is our important sense of all but really it is touch.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:59:34 AM

Neurons: 63,022
A blind bloke walks into a shop with a guide dog. He picks the Dog up and starts swinging it around his head. Alarmed, a shop assistant calls out: 'Can I help, sir?' 'No thanks,' says the blind bloke. 'Just looking.'

Tommy Cooper

jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:43:58 AM

Neurons: 9,377
Good that one P. ;D
munro88
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:44:21 AM

Neurons: 126
Yes there is a lot of truth in that saying, for by being blind brings with it many disabling features and must be very hard to accept especially if you have been gifted with vision and in later years this has been lost. We must always remember to be thankful for all the research that is being done throughout the world as medical advancement progresses towards finding a way for its elimination.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 11:59:13 AM

Neurons: 8,606

On His Blindness

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."
stan_n
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:08:42 PM

Neurons: 15
Please, do not deceive yourselves!

I do not know neither the occasion on which Milton had said this, nor if he had put some secret meaning in it, but both things are miserable!!

To be blind is miserable and not to be able to bear blindness is miserable, too.
hbailla
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:52:00 PM

Neurons: 9
it's way of life , you have always to see things positively or you will loose your life blaming bad conditions .
Christine
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 10:53:47 PM

Neurons: 15,842
hbailla wrote:
it's way of life , you have always to see things positively or you will loose your life blaming bad conditions .

nice!

Applause
excaelis
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 11:24:01 PM

Neurons: 32,652
stan_n wrote:
Please, do not deceive yourselves!

I do not know neither the occasion on which Milton had said this, nor if he had put some secret meaning in it, but both things are miserable!!

To be blind is miserable and not to be able to bear blindness is miserable, too.

A little background for you, Stan, and welcome to the forum.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Milton (9 December 1608 – 8 November 1674) was an English poet, polemicist, a scholarly man of letters, and a civil servant for the Commonwealth (republic) of England under Oliver Cromwell. He wrote at a time of religious flux and political upheaval, and is best known for his epic poem Paradise Lost.

Milton's poetry and prose reflect deep personal convictions, a passion for freedom and self determination, and the urgent issues and political turbulence of his day. Writing in English, Latin, and Italian, he achieved international renown within his lifetime, and his celebrated Areopagitica, (written in condemnation of pre-publication censorship) is among history's most influential and impassioned defenses of free speech and freedom of the press.

William Hayley's 1796 biography called him the "greatest English author",[1] and he remains generally regarded "as one of the preeminent writers in the English language";[2] though critical reception has oscillated in the centuries since his death (often on account of his republicanism). Samuel Johnson praised Paradise Lost as "a poem which...with respect to design may claim the first place, and with respect to performance, the second, among the productions of the human mind". Though Johnson (a Tory and recipient of royal patronage) described his politics as those of an "acrimonious and surly republican".

Because of his republicanism, Milton has been the subject of centuries of British partisanship (a "nonconformist" biography by John Toland, a hostile account by Anthony à Wood etc.).

One of the greatest English writers, Milton suffered from Glaucoma and was probably totally blind by 1654. Sonnet 14, which MTC quotes above, expresses his frustration and fear that he had not done enough while sighted in the Lord's service. One of my all time heroes and favourite writers.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 11:28:21 PM

Neurons: 9,763
The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

Similarly the blind know that it is better to see.

I admire one that can rise above. But I don't believe that this person, or any person so afflicted, would not leap at the chance of sight.