The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Nikola Tesla (1856) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,574
Nikola Tesla (1856)

Tesla was an inventor and engineer known for his revolutionary contributions to the fields of electricity and magnetism. His inventions made possible the production of alternating-current electric power, and his Tesla coil is still used in radio technology. In 1912, he refused a Nobel Prize because he felt his co-recipient, Thomas Edison, was undeserving of the honor. He spent his final years caring for pigeons. What strange habits earned him a reputation as the quintessential "mad scientist"? More...
jcbarros
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:14:13 AM

Neurons: 9,122
He was right about Edison.
MTC
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:53:52 PM

Neurons: 8,606
But wrong about Einstein.
excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:11:16 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I like a soundtrack for these occasions

OMD -Tesla Girls
Jimbob
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:32:26 AM

Neurons: 486
AC Motor invented Nikola Tesla 1856-1943 (Serbian-American)
The 3-phase induction motor

The turning effort or the torque produced by all electric motors depends upon the interaction of the magnetic fields. The induction-type motor relies upon the production of a rotating field. In essence, this is similar to a rotating field set up by a bar magnet that is pivoted at the centre and rotated, motion is present by way of a rotating magnetic field called flux density (symbol T). And is set up by stationary coils accommodated around the stator core. The 3-phase stator windings may be simplified by regarding them as three coils set at 120 degrees. There are relations between the phase voltages and currents and the line voltages and currents, within a balanced system. With star and delta being the two main configurations. Power is measured by a wattmeter, other things that go into the mix are power factor, frequency, RPM, heat losses ect… 3-phase motors have been known for being extremely reliable and efficient. So now that I have explained the general idea of the invention, I would like to turn my attention to a few thing regarding his personal life.

Edison offered a $10 a week raise over Tesla's US$18 per week salary, but Tesla refused it and immediately resigned. - - - > (strange :) I’m the Boss and have the power, and you’re the worker ...lolz)

Tesla, in need of work, eventually found himself digging ditches for a short period of time for the Edison company. He used this time to focus on his AC polyphase system. - - - > (even stranger, get out there and dig that ditch Boy ... lolz again)

Tesla served, from 1892 to 1894, as the vice president of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, the forerunner (along with the Institute of Radio Engineers) of the modern-day IEEE. - - - > (top job)

Developed the principles of his Tesla coil, and began working with George Westinghouse at Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company's Pittsburgh labs. Westinghouse listened to his ideas for polyphase systems which would allow transmission of alternating current electricity over long distances. (1888)

He told many of his companions that he valued his American citizenship than any scientific honours that he had acquired. - - - > (willing and able to contribute 30 July 1891)

Later years (1918-1943)
Poem, "Fragments of Olympian Gossip"
While listening on my cosmic phone
I caught words from the Olympus blown.
A newcomer was shown around;
That much I could guess, aided by sound.
"There's Archimedes with his lever
Still busy on problems as ever.
Says: matter and force are transmutable
And wrong the laws you thought immutable."
"Below, on Earth, they work at full blast
And news are coming in thick and fast.
The latest tells of a cosmic gun.
To be pelted is very poor fun.
We are wary with so much at stake,
Those beggars are a pest—no mistake."
"Too bad, Sir Isaac, they dimmed your renown
And turned your great science upside down.
Now a long haired crank, Einstein by name,
Puts on your high teaching all the blame.
Says: matter and force are transmutable
And wrong the laws you thought immutable."
"I am much too ignorant, my son,
For grasping schemes so finely spun.
My followers are of stronger mind
And I am content to stay behind,
Perhaps I failed, but I did my best,
These masters of mine may do the rest.
Come, Kelvin, I have finished my cup.
When is your friend Tesla coming up."
"Oh, quoth Kelvin, he is always late,
It would be useless to remonstrate."
Then silence—shuffle of soft slippered feet—
I knock and—the bedlam of the street.
Nikola Tesla, Novice

Tesla was widely known for his great showmanship, presenting his innovations and demonstrations to the public as an artform, almost like a magician. This seems to conflict with his observed reclusiveness; Tesla was a complicated figure. He refused to hold conventions without his Tesla coil blasting electricity throughout the room, despite the audience often being terrified, though he assured them everything was perfectly safe. - - - >( bit on the risqué side of things one would imagine ! )

Field theories
There is no thing endowed with life—from man, who is enslaving the elements, to the nimblest creature—in all this world that does not sway in its turn. Whenever action is born from force, though it be infinitesimal, the cosmic balance is upset and the universal motion results.

Tesla was critical of Einstein's relativity work, calling it:
magnificent mathematical garb which fascinates, dazzles and makes people blind to the underlying errors. The theory is like a beggar clothed in purple whom ignorant people take for a king ... its exponents are brilliant men but they are metaphysicists rather than scientists

Shortly before he died, Edison said that his biggest mistake had been in trying to develop direct current, rather than the superior alternating current system that Tesla had put within his grasp.

Tesla died on 7 January 1943 at age 86 from heart thrombus, alone in room 3327 of the New Yorker Hotel.

Tesla's family and the Yugoslav embassy struggled with the American authorities to gain these items after his death because of the potential significance of some of his research. - - - > (the direct-energy weapon)

Well I must say that Tesla certainly makes for an interesting read. I personally think that Daemon question is somewhat a trick question. First nowhere do I see the word MOTOR second who said he was mad in the first place infact he’s quite the clever chap indeed from what I know. I see with a little interest that he pokes a little fun at Einstein and was at odds with Emerson and had some controversy in relation to awards for the Noble Prize. The obsession with the number three, if you look at some of the dates it seems perhaps a little more than a coincidence where 3 is a reoccurring number, and with 3-phase power being the focus of attention. then rightly so, no problem, go forth and make it happen you genus you. I suppose the pigeon business could seem a little strangely coincidental when one considers message transmission and wireless communications.
Jimbob
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:39:28 PM

Neurons: 486
* genius
B355E
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 3:30:03 AM

Neurons: 1,064