mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The State of American Health Care: A Personal Perspective Options
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:39:54 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I've had an eye-opener over the last several months. Periodically, I've been known to shop my value on the market, to prepare my case for a raise or promotion, or to potentially move to a more promising position:

There have been several opportunities, each of which has been carefully considered, and ultimately declined.

Due to what?

Salary?

Responsibilities?

The necessity to re-locate?

No.

It is because my present position has generous health care benefits. My contribution isn’t paltry, and the deductibles and the co-pays for services go up continuously. But, compared to the competition, the company I work for is most comprehensive in its benefits.

The other offers don’t come close.

I pity unemployed Americans that have no alternative than to accept these “generous” offers of employment benefits. I didn’t realize it had gotten this bad!

The worst offenders are the two health care companies that I considered taking a position with:

The insurance giant offered terrible plans that required an enormous deductible and huge co-pays.

The company that specialized in third-party examinations of insurance and workman’s compensation claims offered NO benefits!

Thus, from my experience, the greatest indictment of our current employer-based health care system comes from the insurance and health care industry itself, since they apparently are unwilling to FUND it!

Conservatives constantly harp on choice?

So….

It is my choice to forgo better more enriching employment since the health care costs, as I enter my sixth decade, are crippling?

This is a choice?

If so, and this is what is behind “door #1” I’ll take what is behind “door #2” thank you very much!

In Canada, I’d have already moved on without a backward glance!
Health care isn’t an issue. Life, Liberty, and Happiness, in the form of a better job, would be mine to be had. Here I can choose that only if I am willing to risk financial hardship due to real and to potential health care costs.

I’m lucky. At least I have the option. I have good health care.

I’m lucky, twice over: I’m healthy, and thanks to The Affordable Care Act, my insurance company cannot drop me simply because I get a chronic illness and carrying me becomes expensive.

Others, that change jobs not for choice but for the necessity of a sacking, are lucky since their pre-existing condition cannot be used to deny them coverage!

My sister’s son, graduated from college is covered under his parent’s plan.

Such tyranny!

My sister has been denied the choice of worrying about her son’s health or paying ruinous costs for an individual policy for him.

If the diabolical plan that Barack Hussein Obama has hatched is allowed to come to fruition, about 30 million Americans will be denied the choice of paying for food or buying health insurance.

The rest of us will be deprived of the privilege of paying for these people when they become ill for preventable reasons and turn up at the doors of the emergency room in extremis.

I want to know what plan Mitt Romney and the Republicans are going to offer if they get their way and overturn the Affordable Health Care plan? After all, it was a good idea in Massachusetts, now, if we are to believe The Chameleon, it’s the devils own plan! He was for it before he was against it! Maybe we’ll get a coupon like Romney and Ryan want to replace Medicare with.

Conservatives mis-state the reality:

They like to repeat the lie over and over again:

“We have the best health care system in the world!”

No.

The USA has the best health care system that money can buy.

If you don’t have deep pockets, the system stinks. But, then, since speech is money, the politicians aren’t listening to you anyway! They will gut your medicare to pay for more tax cuts for their well spoken (rich) friends.

Their alternative is no alternative at all. They like the system (or lack of same) that has increasing numbers of Americans making “choices” based upon the tyranny of the inevitability of our own mortality rather than the pursuit of Life, Liberty, and Happiness.
balamb
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:03:18 AM

Neurons: 289
Just to say Hwnn that to us Brits it is inconceivable that you can be put in such a ridiculous position as to have to choose your job according to the health care it offers. It is also inconceivable that the richest country in the world does not provide access to health care for all. In my opinion "Health" is not something that should be able to be bought. It should be free for all. It is a human right, rich or poor.

Seeker
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:04:21 PM

Neurons: 1,715
HWNN1961 - Thank you for stating facts, and balamb, Thank you for your comment. I totally agree with both of you.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness begins with good health. Our health is our wealth.
boneyfriend
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:06:04 PM

Neurons: 10,546
HW, what I am surprised about is that you had permission from your prospective employer to go over their health insurance policy before you accepted the position. I have wanted to do that but was not allowed. Perhaps if you are applying for a higher level job than I was, it is permitted. I think all people in America should have to right to go over the health insurance policy of prospective employers. It is that important in this country.
maillady
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:06:48 PM

Neurons: 3,375
According to HWNN, "The rest of us will be deprived of the privilege of paying for these people when they become ill for preventable reasons and turn up at the door of the emergency room in extremis."

I would like to know who is going to pay for them if not we,the taxpayer?
HWNN1961
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:21:03 PM

Neurons: 9,763
maillady wrote:
According to HWNN, "The rest of us will be deprived of the privilege of paying for these people when they become ill for preventable reasons and turn up at the door of the emergency room in extremis."

I would like to know who is going to pay for them if not we,the taxpayer?

The point was made in sarcasm. The choice being a phoney one. I'd rather have the priviledge of the Affordable Care Act, which will grant health coverage to these individuals, so that they can have the preventive care that costs a pittance as opposed to the reality of today: that these folks only seek help when they are desperately ill. Their care costs now being astronomical in comparison with what they'd be had they simply had the access to care that Obama's plan provides.

Prevention is always cheaper than cure. Obama's plan provides prevention.

dusty
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 11:15:17 PM

Neurons: 5,765
To me it feels like we let Insurance companies come into the industry and pick and choose only the details that they want to choose. After they decide what they can make a profit from, it’s the government’s responsibility to pick up all of the patients that the insurance companies have deemed them as clients they do not want to deal with.

People are not widgets, and any industry that is in the business of dealing with things like the health care of human beings, should not be allowed to make the business decisions as if they decided to go with a shoddy component and estimate the increase rate of failure as a result of choosing cheaper parts.

We are going to be in big trouble soon, because it is getting to the point where we cannot just “fix” our health care problem by fixing policies that insurers most follow. After working in the medical field for almost eight years, I lost a lot of faith in our system. All the jobs that have to do with the actual providing the service (Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Ward Clerks, Phlebotomists, Lab Techs, Data Entry, Insurance Coders, Schedulers, Intake processors, Front Desk, etc…) they are all being run ragged, continuously pushed to service more people with the same amount of man power, it can be a stressful place to work. And every entity that provides these services, their profit margin is extremely thin. Nobody is getting rich these days, not even the doctors although they obviously earn decent wages.

So who are the people who raking in the high margin profits in this whale of trillions of dollars industry?

Pharmaceutical Companies, Diagnostics and Testing manufacturers and suppliers, and to complete the racketeering ring the businesses who collect money and sort out the payment pyramid schemes The Insurance Companies.

we have just barely begun to catch up with this fleecing of the world, it has really only been in the last 10-20 years that our government has finally come up with kick-back laws and such that literally had to be written to prevent actual racketeering. No other industry anywhere ever, has such a lopsided sales heavy sector. Not even retail sales industries have such a large sales workforce, and these individuals have get paid extremely well.

When policy makers begin to toss around ideas of what can be done to ensure all Americans are treated whenever there are successful treatment plans available, who do you are the biggest players in political campaigns to adopt or prevent often necessary policy changes are?

What I am describing is a situation where so much money, unthinkable profit margins are to be reaped that when it comes to squashing out any policy revisions that dictate how they can do business, I kid you not, the effort to put the kaibosh on anything that will interfere with their cash cows machine incomes, their budgets are limitless. When we are talking about trillions of dollars in profit, these companies seriously will not put a price of what they are willing to spend to ensure that no government nor people will be allowed to touch their slice of the pie. Whatever it takes is there attitude.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a highly regulated industry for a reason, We can’t have any idiot making medicinal supplies for the sick, but if we are going to continue to allow those conglomerates to control the laws about how things get done and who qualifies to be cured or at least treated, shouldn’t we force these people to leave no body untreated?

Shouldn’t we tell them “look, if we let you make a killing under the guise of doing good and healing, you will do good and heal everyone you can, end of story.

If we wait any longer, the barbs on their hooks to the cash cows of the American public are only going to get deeper and deeper. And when the bottom falls out, and the killings that are made in profits dry up until the point all such wells have run dry, do you think those companies are going to stick around and invest in “the People” out of the goodness of their hearts?

Hell NO! they will sceedattle like the rats they are. If there is no millions, billions and trillions to to be made, those companies will abandon ship. Wer can’t let such a predicament manifest, but this is exactly what is happening. And we are still heading in the direction of disaster.
It is not a comforting feeling
ellana
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 1:36:58 AM

Neurons: 127,363
I have to agree with the majority opinion stated so far that healthcare USA is shocking and shameful and in dire need of a revamp so that all are 'treated' equally. In this day and age, a dollar driven healthcare policy with its highly selective criteria of adhesion cannot and does not serve the masses. I hope that Americans wake up and support reform for the greater good.
RedStar
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 1:44:45 PM

Neurons: 147
ellana wrote:
I have to agree with the majority opinion stated so far that healthcare USA is shocking and shameful and in dire need of a revamp so that all are 'treated' equally. In this day and age, a dollar driven healthcare policy with its highly selective criteria of adhesion cannot and does not serve the masses. I hope that Americans wake up and support reform for the greater good.

You're absolutely right. We need to continue reforms that support the greater good and NOT the individual. Hopefully, we'll have a single payer system soon that will allow the government more control over those things that affect our wellness in order to raise the overall level of everyone's health.
Seeker
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 2:26:07 PM

Neurons: 1,715
Also needed is curtailing of the costs being charged for treatments and drugs which is absolutely ridiculous. Reigning in Big Pharma must be part of the process of righting the healthcare situation in the U.S.
dusty
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 3:06:39 PM

Neurons: 5,765
RedStar wrote:
ellana wrote:

You're absolutely right. We need to continue reforms that support the greater good ...

I completely agree with that segment of your logic. I don't know about everyone else, but to me health care reform is not about giving govt. more control over things that affect our wellness, nobody can can control that better than ourselves. It's about ensuring access to the most successful medical treatments to each individual that suffers from treatable diseases and ailments.

It isn't about changing the system to support the greater good rather than the individual, it's about forcing an industry which receives enormous amounts of payments from tax revenue and subsidies, to not manipulate the cost of providing healthcare so that the American system is held hostage for years of exorbitant price gouging.

I have to apologize for my poor grammar and numerous typos. I hope you all are understanding the gist of my messages, I often do not have the time required or the resources that many for profit business entities put to use to perpetuate fear by spreading distorted facts.

I understand your opinion Redstar, we just have to be careful about the angle we take since the lines are very fine these days between being able to identify those who have the People's best interest in mind and those rumor mills on company payrolls whose only goal is to maintain control over their very lucrative business