mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
First Wal-Mart Store Opens in Rogers, Arkansas (1962) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
First Wal-Mart Store Opens in Rogers, Arkansas (1962)

Today the world's largest corporation, the Walmart chain of superstores was founded by Sam Walton, a former US Army Captain with an economics degree. Walton owned and ran a chain of five-and-dime stores in Arkansas before he opened his first Wal-Mart store in 1962. In the 50 years since, the company, which sells brand-name goods in high volume at low prices, has flourished. It now has 8,500 stores operating in over a dozen countries. What percent of the US population visits a Walmart each week? More...
MTC
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 7:12:57 PM

Neurons: 8,606

And so the metastatic process began...
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 7:36:58 PM

Neurons: 6,180
MTC wrote:

And so the metastatic process began...

As a matter of interest, what is the main complaint of the ordinary American person about Walmart stores? I've heard that they make it difficult for ordinary stores to survive, that their employees are underpaid, that their customers don't wear trousers, but I wonder still what the crux of the controversy truly is.
MTC
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 12:09:14 AM

Neurons: 8,606
In reply to your question, uuaschbaer, what I particularly dislike about Walmart is how they steamroll small local businesses out of operation through predatory pricing, a practice for which they have been sued a number of times with most cases settling out of court. Walmart achieves lower prices by strong-arming their suppliers and by paying their employees lower wages with fewer benefits. These are the practices which grate on me and many other Americans.

For a more complete critique of Walmart see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart

pedro
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:50:43 AM

Neurons: 63,022
A bit like Primark over here. And there are others;

http://makewealthhistory.org/2012/06/04/slave-labour-on-the-high-street/

almostfreebird
Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:45:18 AM

Neurons: 7,024

Eleven Things To Do at Walmart:

1. Grab 24 boxes of condoms & randomly put them in people’s carts when they aren’t looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in house wares to go off at 5 minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor to the rest rooms.

4. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, “Why can’t you people just leave me alone?”

5. While handling guns in the hunting department ask the clerk if he knows where the antidepressants are.

6 Dart around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the theme from “Mission Impossible.”

7. In the auto department, practice your Madonna look using different size funnels.

8. Hide in the clothing rack and when people browse through say, “PICK ME! PICK ME!”

9. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal position and scream, “NO! NO! It’s those voices again.”

10. Go into a fitting room and yell loudly, “Hey! We’re out of toilet paper in here!”

11. Look right into the security camera, use it as a mirror and pick your nose.