The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

List of Beginner German Phrases? Options
Lire A Haute Voix
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:04:49 AM

Neurons: 270
Sorry that this post is in English, but I can barely speak German let alone write it. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could post a list of generic German phrases that would be useful for me to memorize. I don't need things like "where is the bathroom" and "what is my hotel room number", as I'm staying with family. What I'd prefer are "Yes, I agree" or "My favorite movie is...".

Thank you so much!
TMNT_Michelangelo
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:49:44 AM

Neurons: 3
Lire A Haute Voix wrote:
Sorry that this post is in English, but I can barely speak German let alone write it. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could post a list of generic German phrases that would be useful for me to memorize. I don't need things like "where is the bathroom" and "what is my hotel room number", as I'm staying with family. What I'd prefer are "Yes, I agree" or "My favorite movie is...".

Thank you so much!

Hi !

Here's a simple list :

Hi / Hello / How are you ? : Hey, wie geht's ?

I don't know : (Ich habe) keine Ahnung (litt : I have no clue)

My favorite ... is XY : Mein liebelings... ist XY

EX : My favorite movie is Pokémon => Mein liebelingsfilm ist Pokémon. ;p

I'm glad I've met you : Gern Sie kennen zu lernen. (formal)

I love you ( to a family relative) : Ich habe dich gern.

maximien
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 8:32:20 AM

Neurons: 69
TMNT_Michelangelo wrote:
[quote=Lire A Haute Voix]Sorry that this post is in English, but I can barely speak German let alone write it. Anyway, I was wondering if someone could post a list of generic German phrases that would be useful for me to memorize. I don't need things like "where is the bathroom" and "what is my hotel room number", as I'm staying with family. What I'd prefer are "Yes, I agree" or "My favorite movie is...".
Thank you so much!

Here's simple list :

It's always: Hallo, wie geht's? Or: Hallo, wie geht es Ihnen? [Two forms of addresses: Du if you know the person well, Sie if it's someone you don't know]

I don't know : (Ich habe) keine Ahnung (litt : I have no clue)

Or: Das weiß ich nicht. (Litt: I don't know)

My favorite ... is XY : Mein liebelings... ist XY

It's "Lieblings..."

EX : My favorite movie is Pokémon => Mein liebelingsfilm ist Pokémon. ;p [without the "e"]

It's definitely: Schön, Sie kennen zu lernen. Or: Schön, dass ich Dich treffe! [If you know the person, "Nice to see you!"]

I love you ( to a family relative) : Ich habe dich gern.

I love you litt. means Ich liebe Dich. ... The famous three words!
Eyeopener
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2009 10:06:00 AM

Was hältst Du von ....? (Was halten Sie von....? = more formal)
is a useful phrase to ask "What do you think about...?"
Kitzun
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:25:33 PM

Neurons: 12
Any more useful Phrases?
dp
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2009 2:48:31 PM

Neurons: 224
Kitzun wrote:
Any more useful Phrases?

One beer please - Ein Bier bitte!
Excuse me, where are the restrooms - Entschuldigung, wo sind die Toiletten?
Look over there! An electrical pole! - Gucken sie dort! Ein Hochspannungsleitungsmast! (sexy ice-breaker when chatting up German girls well outside your league)
Dzo
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 6:01:08 AM

Hello

I really understand what you want because it is exactly what I want ...
I study german language and civilisation at university, and I feel like I don't know german at all, because I never practice it ... and with friends like mine, we say a word and laugh for an hour !!! so it doesn't help ... Brick wall
But, thank God, lately, I've found a very successful way to learn the language better ... you can find all sentences you need ... it's by having an exercices book ... this is the best way to practice german when you're not in germany ;) your grammatical skills will be better, and you'll learn faster in the same time ... you want to learn any language fast and well, always start with grammary :)

hope for you luck, happiness and healthy life :)
Ciao
Ei-was-dann?
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:25:06 PM

Hi all,

this looks like a pretty forum, so I thought I have to register, done. Applause
I'm German, well better Hessian (Frankfurt). Ok this means I can't speak German like people in Hannover do, or like the Duden told us, but I can give you a lot of phrases, which will help you in Germany, anywhere. The only problem, the wayback translation in english (only school english, years ago)... so I try my best.

Please be not angry, but I will give you a few corrections, of the phrases which where made in this thread.

No one says "Gern" and in the past is the better translation: "Es hat mich gefreut, Sie kennen zu lernen". You will say this after a conversation. English speaking people say "Your're Welcome" this is the same phrase from the sentense. Or in the beginning of a conversation you can say: Guten Tag Herr/Frau xy, es freut mich Sie kennen zu lernen. But this is really formal, and only interesting in business situations.
You can change in this case Sie in du and you can use it also for well known persons.

Just an information about the difference between Sie and du. Sie shows the respekt of the individium, the person itself. Some people you know very well can be "Sie". Example: the father and the mother of your friend/girlfriend, or your priest in the church, or your neighbour (you are living years and years door by door). You know them for years, but you don't have to say du. Some older generations will think you are respectless. Till the age of 16 you can say to persons du because they are children in the eye of the law till the age of 16. Over 16 you will say Sie. And this is an unwritten rule(!), do never an older person offer him/her to say "du" if you are the younger one. This is only the right of the older one he/she has to make the first step, if she/he don't offer you the du, don't say du. Exeption: Love ;-)

hope for you luck, happiness and healthy life means: ich wünsche dir(for du) Ihnen(for Sie) viel Glück, Fröhlichkeit und Gesundheit. Well, you can write this in congratulation cards but not in "real life" this sounds to pompus! Say: Ich wünsche dir(Ihnen) alles Gute. This is enough and means the same in generell. You can do this more specific for example, I'm ill(influenza) then you will say Gute Besserung. Generell you have to say Danke, after these wishes if you are the (ill person).

Other phrases:
Ich könnte noch einen Kaffe trinken means I like to drink another cup of coffee. (one is not enogh)
Auf einem Bein kann man nicht stehen. Exact word translation: With one leg you can't stay, means if you drink with someone a glass of Schnapps and you like to have a 2nd, then you say this. It's a drinking phrase.
Komm, einer geht noch (rein) means come on, let's have another drink (This means also you have drunk a lot, but there is enough space in your maw for the last one. You can say this so often till you friend must visit the restrooms ;-).

Have fun (Viel Spaß)