mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Nefertari Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Nefertari

Nefertari was the favorite wife of Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses II, who reigned for 67 years in the 13th century BCE. Though little is known about Nefertari's origins, it is assumed she was of noble descent. As the mother of Ramesses' heir, she most likely enjoyed a high status. Ramesses honored her with a temple of her own next to his and built her the largest, most spectacular tomb in the Valley of the Queens. She is depicted in numerous paintings and statues, often playing what instrument? More...
Seeker
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:30:57 PM

Neurons: 1,715
Who knew? Nefertari and Nefertiti - two different women. (Even spell-check thinks I've spelled Nefertari incorrectly.) It's nice to learn something new every day. :)
thar
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:39:13 PM

Neurons: 97,394
apparently the nefer bit means beautiful, or good. It would be interesting to know if they were called that before they married pharoahs or it got added as an appellation.

(or, actually, they did marry equal level women, didn't they, like their sisters, so maybe they were given that name from birth. - but I don't know if those two were born or married into pharoahdom)

either way, I do not think anyone would have been stupid enough to argue about it!!