mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Faith is believing what you know ain't so. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Faith is believing what you know ain't so.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)
pedro
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 4:07:13 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Not necessarily. A research scientist may well believe in his/her pet theory- at least until mounting evidence to the contrary forces a change of heart (or should that be mind?).
MTC
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:33:55 PM

Neurons: 8,606

When in doubt, tell the truth.
--Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar.

Following the Equator
Chapter 2
By Mark Twain
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 5:56:36 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Chose a danceable version for y'all...

Ain't Necessarily So - Bronski Beat
thegr8luiz
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:51:34 PM

Neurons: 141
Mark Twain was far less smart than he thought himself to be.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, June 7, 2012 7:50:49 PM

Neurons: 74,661
No doubt that is true, luiz. Why, I'm sure Mr. Clemens himself would testify as to the veracity of your statement concerning his mental acumen.

He is world famous to this very day for being such a slow-witted fellow that, were he alive today, he would not be able to run a red light without help.

How he was able to garner the reputation he achieved was likely the fault of the simple-minded folk who attempted to absorb the paltry wording of his so-called stories, opinions and observations on his fellow human beings.

I suppose that if he had only managed to wrestle down a college degree in something, anything really, it would have accumulated to his reputation immeasurably.

As a result, he could then have invented a new Nome-de-plume, something along the lines of, "thegr8twain" or some such eponymous title. Everyone would have then become immediately, and amazingly, aware of his magnificent intellect.
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 5:11:19 AM

Neurons: 3,404
Welcome to the forum thegr8luiz. I think your point is true of us all.

I am not sure of the context of Twain's, or Clemen's, quote, since I have not read the travelogue, but taken on its own it is silly, and obviously untrue. It denigrates men and women who died for what they believed in, and who lived for it as well. It makes people of faith out to be nothing but charlatans and self-deceivers, and includes many above his intellectual prowess.

I doubt he believed it himself... since that really would make him a fool, and he was not that.

It is just the sort of remark a schoolboy would make, and it seems did, or it was said he did.

'Following the Equator' is a non-fictional work that includes some fictional stories, and was a stab at missionaries, racism and imperialism.

For my part I am in some agreement with Clemens attack on missionaries, but of course they were not all bad and many gave their lives over to what they genuinely believed in. It is always dangerous to lump people together and pass a judgement on them.

MTC
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 7:09:08 AM

Before attacking Twain's intellect with sarcastic expressions like "slow-witted fellow" and "magnificent intellect" it might be wise to learn to spell. Nom de plume is spelled "nom," not "nome," and the phrase is not hyphenated. The familiar proverb "People in glass houses should not throw stones" comes immediately to mind.

We can agree or disagree with Twain's provocative witticism about faith. Like a lot of his comments it contains a germ of truth, but arguably is not intended to be taken at face value. That is something we can discuss. Misplaced attacks on Twain's intellect (never seriously in question) do not advance the discussion.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 11:09:41 AM

I am somewhat surprised you didn't "get it", MTC. I thought I was clear, but apparently, I was not. So for the record, I love Mark Twain. Perhaps you should re-read it from that perspective. My "nom de plume" was the result of an argument with my laptop and spell-checker, which decided to have an inexplicable brain fart that day and would have it no other way.

RubyMoon
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 11:31:05 AM

Neurons: 4,834
I think your post was very clear, FounDit... and your "point" well expressed. I enjoyed it.

(Oftentimes I read too many posts too quickly and mis-understand one's intent - that could be what happened here ?)
FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 12:28:37 PM

Thanks, Ruby. I was beginning to doubt my ability to express myself...*L*
MTC
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 7:15:13 PM

Definitely a misunderstanding , FounDit, now that your intent snaps into focus. The famous figure-ground effect in psychology springs to mind. When I read your comments I saw the "vase," while others (RubyMoon) saw the "profiles." Sorry for the mixup. No need to doubt the ability to express yourself which you evidence often enough on the forum. Twain was brilliant as we all know. I love his wry wit which so often punctures hypocrisy or points out an inconvenient truth. So we actually agree about Twain. As for the spelling lesson, I now see it (another revelation!) as rather petty. But the knives come out when we see our heroes "unjustly attacked."

As an olive branch here's a link to a story by Twain based on a humorous misunderstanding:
http://www.oldfashionedamericanhumor.com/mark-twains-nevada-funeral.html

MTC

FounDit
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 9:23:06 PM

I'm glad we're on the same page, and thanks for the link. I loved it! It gave me a hearty laugh, and that's always a good thing.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2012 11:57:46 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Group Hug....

( Nice work Ruby, I didn't want these two fighting. They're two of our best.)