mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid. Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Fame is like a river, that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
MTC
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:27:04 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Bacon's quotation could have no more fitting target than the modern Cult of Celebrity. See http://www.tenbiggestmyths.net/society/celebrity/

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 6:18:34 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Or Rush Limbaugh.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:58:21 PM

Neurons: 13,974
If you don´t care about your weight, the river of fame´ll cannot bear you up.
Jimbob
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2012 9:21:16 PM

Neurons: 486
The works of Francis Bacon, short notes for civil conversation
68. Fame is like a river that beareth up things light and fwollen, and drowns things weighty and folid.

The Ladies Methodist Episcopal Church. General Conference
Volume XXII Edited by Rev. D. W. Clark, D. D. 1862

A little thing on the subject, however, will convince us that the power of time is seeming, rather than real ; and that there are high and practical senses in which it may be said, “That which hath been is now.” Exactly the reverse of what Bacon predicted of “Fame,” is true of time. “Fame,” said the philosopher, “is like a river that beareth up things light and swollen, and drowns things weighty and solid.” That time is like a river that beareth up things weighty and solid, and drowns things light and swollen.
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

First of all, no its not a spelling mistake, f = s old English I presume. It would appear that this statement is a discussion note for those whom are that way inclined, rather than a sentence from a paragraph from a story book as such. The earliest written discussion on this topic I have been able to find is from the M.E. Church although I’m sure there are probably other discussions aswell. As short as the good ladies discussion seems, it comes straight to the point, and interestingly differs from my own first impression, particularly when one considers time. Water under the bridge so to speak could be considered time been and gone, water analogy. One of my favourite lines I ask people (chat) is time an Illusion ? lunchtime doubly so ! :) lol (lots of laughs) I’ve had some very interesting responses to that question, briefly yes, no, space, matrix, etc…

Fame
1. the state of being widely known or recognised; renown; celebrity
2. Archaic rumour or public report
[from Latin fāma report; related to fārī to say] <--(note : this one)

beareth
(archaic) Third-person singular simple present indicative form of bear.