mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What should I do if I'm dying? Options
LCouperin
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:39:03 AM

Neurons: 372
Let's say that I only have a short time to live. What about blowing a lot of money on hookers and drugs?
dusty
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:18:56 AM

Neurons: 5,765
Yeah, that's not a good idear. As it would be nearly impossible to time the running out of money, to coincide with your death. Unless the reason you only have a short time to live is like the situation from the movie "Things To DO In Denver When You're Dead" I think drugs and hookers should not even be an option.

I suppose the drugs and hookers story line would fit the inverse; say you're the type of person who blows all your money of drugs and hookers, then you doctor tell you you have one month to live. I would think the character would stop blowing and their money on drugs and hookers.

Or perhaps you mean drugs that a doctor prescribes? If that is the case, fear not, as the time for botching the ol' table cloth trick where you rip out the tablecloth from under pharma industry seemingly eternal business table may be nigh to eliminate the traditional profit some industy has becomeecomne
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:25:54 AM

Neurons: 241,541

Well, drugs are essentially poisons:
Quote:
drug n.
A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.
(American Heritage)

Therefore taking drugs is a good way of shortening even the short time you have ...
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:54:14 AM

Neurons: 31,166
You could just start your own blog.
DavidScott
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:11:24 AM

Neurons: 2,076
Hey, as the saying goes, or at least to paraphrase, "most of my money, I spent on drugs and hookers. The rest, I pretty much just frittered away."
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:21:52 AM

Neurons: 7,024
LCouperin wrote:
Let's say that I only have a short time to live. What about blowing a lot of money on hookers and drugs?

You are a very hoest man, I think.

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:08:44 AM

Neurons: 76,374
Sounds like a plan to me. Go for it!! May the farce be with you!!
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:51:42 AM

Neurons: 32,652
DavidScott wrote:
Hey, as the saying goes, or at least to paraphrase, "most of my money, I spent on drugs and hookers. The rest, I pretty much just frittered away."

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best

zielonosiwy
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 12:54:44 PM

Neurons: 1,154
Then you will not let your soul go to the paradise.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:03:33 PM

Neurons: 680,643
excaelis wrote:
DavidScott wrote:

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best

I think George Raft (1901- 1980) said it first.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 1:06:53 PM

Neurons: 680,643
LCouperin wrote:

If we are just havin' a laff you should take FounDit's advice.
If we are serious, consult Zielonosiwy.
LCouperin
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 2:16:13 PM

jacobusmaximus wrote:
LCouperin wrote:

If we are just havin' a laff you should take FounDit's advice.
If we are serious, consult Zielonosiwy.

I don't get it--so sex is bad on earth, but suicide bombers expect to get 72 virgins in Paradise!
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 3:32:31 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Zero gravity, dude....
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:44:05 PM

Neurons: 76,374
Is it specified anywhere that the virgins are female? I'd want to check into that.

But then, I don't understand their thinking on the matter anyway. You blow yourself up, and as a reward you get 72 women(?) who know nothing about pleasing a man?
elijah16
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:26:54 PM

Neurons: 18
what about doing something that people will remember when u die, and whenever they remember or see something like it, they will associate it to you?:)
DavidScott
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:41:29 PM

Neurons: 2,076
Well, if LC is a politician, then the carousing would be ALL they'd remember!
dusty
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 7:16:13 PM

LC, keep the important thing to keep in mind is how each and every word can have different meaning depending on the context, and the time period. For example, during Jesus's life (the one most people think of when the read the stories New Testament) whatever term in the native tongue that was translated to read as "whore" in an English translation, could have very well meant a woman who would stop to acknowledge and answer a question asked by any male other than her family when in a public setting (basically in talking with a male who was not part of their close circle of friends, the woman could be considered a whore)

Whereas during current times, a whore might be someone who preforms sex acts on another person for money. It is also important to remember that even if a person engaged in a literal way either definition during anytime period, that does not necessarily mean she would be considered a whore in God's eyes.

So it is important to keep in mind that without context, 72 virgins in Paradise can mean many things.

Even more important, maybe the most important thing to remember is doing things for the right reasons. Because I would think that 72 virgins in Paradise as a promised reward for anything, would mean very different realities depending on who received such an award. A person who deserved this reward after preforming a task for all the wrong reasons might find his reward was to devirginize a bunch of trained torturers and assassins who have not yet put their training in to practice, whereas a person who deserved this reward after preforming a task for all the right reasons may find his reward was to devirginize a gaggle of extremely intelligent first time wives.

In both cases an argument could be made that God kept up his end of the bargain and stayed true to his word and did not tell a lie.
LCouperin
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 10:52:26 PM

dusty wrote:
LC, keep the important thing to keep in mind is how each and every word can have different meaning depending on the context, and the time period. For example, during Jesus's life (the one most people think of when the read the stories New Testament) whatever term in the native tongue that was translated to read as "whore" in an English translation, could have very well meant a woman who would stop to acknowledge and answer a question asked by any male other than her family when in a public setting (basically in talking with a male who was not part of their close circle of friends, the woman could be considered a whore)

Whereas during current times, a whore might be someone who preforms sex acts on another person for money. It is also important to remember that even if a person engaged in a literal way either definition during anytime period, that does not necessarily mean she would be considered a whore in God's eyes.

So it is important to keep in mind that without context, 72 virgins in Paradise can mean many things.

Even more important, maybe the most important thing to remember is doing things for the right reasons. Because I would think that 72 virgins in Paradise as a promised reward for anything, would mean very different realities depending on who received such an award. A person who deserved this reward after preforming a task for all the wrong reasons might find his reward was to devirginize a bunch of trained torturers and assassins who have not yet put their training in to practice, whereas a person who deserved this reward after preforming a task for all the right reasons may find his reward was to devirginize a gaggle of extremely intelligent first time wives.

In both cases an argument could be made that God kept up his end of the bargain and stayed true to his word and did not tell a lie.

What?
dusty
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:43:21 PM

LCouperin wrote:

What?

Sometimes even I don't know how to make sense of the words I typed, and my comment was definitely not clear. It was a very worded way to basically say:

There will always be people who oppose you, and sometimes even do everything in there power to stop you from doing whatever it is you set out to do. But when you have have honestly and thoroughly reflected on what you are doing and why you are doing it, and you know in your heart you are doing what is right (or if you had previously made a mistake, then you are doing the next right thing) you shouldn't worry about the opinion of others if after trying to honestly explain yourself.

and even that may not be easily deciphered, although not because I intentionally made my words confusing but rather the more detailed I try to explain things so that there is no room for confusion in reality just gets more confusing.

But if you know without any doubt in your heart that you are doing the right thing, don't let those who oppose you succeed in stopping you.
Martinbeco
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 12:39:27 AM

Neurons: 58,668
That depends on the circumstances. If you are sick, effortless and dying, you don't have many options. You are just waiting for death to come. But if you still have some strength and money, well, that's up to you. If I still had money and some strength, I would travel somewhere nice. I'd enjoy my last days in a not so crowded beach in southern Mexico. I would take my friends and family along and I would tell them all how much I really love them.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 5:12:12 AM

I understood it dusty.

Quote:
virgin n
5. a person who is new to or inexperienced in a specified field: a political virgin
Collins English Dictionary

So "72 Virgins" could mean 72 trained torturers who have never had the experience of torturing anyone, and will practise on you ...

Interesting thought, but then - suicide bombing is no my scene, anyway.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 5:27:48 AM

Neurons: 625,759
I'd buy a helluva pile of grammar books and study like crazy all the time left, just for fun.
(and perhaps post some bizarre questions in language forums ;-)
Choson
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:35:03 AM

Neurons: 39
I'd convert to Hinduism.
pedro
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 6:41:02 AM

Neurons: 63,022
You could try turning the experience into a lucid dream. You could dream up a cure for your ailment. Then again you might wake up in prison on planet Zorg.
Ray41
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 7:07:27 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Drag0nspeaker wrote:

Quote:
virgin n
5. a person who is new to or inexperienced in a specified field: a political virgin
Collins English Dictionary

So "72 Virgins" could mean 72 trained torturers who have never had the experience of torturing anyone, and will practise on you ....

I was going to ask where in the heck are all these ? X72 virgins are coming from, (just in case).Think

My fantasy was shattered by DragOnspeaker's expanding interpretation of 'virgins', and the thought of 72 political wannabees was a definite turn off.Anxious

I have decided instead that I will not die with such short notice.Whistle

I think that I would continue reading my books as I would like to know how they ended before I ended.Liar
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 11:08:19 AM

Neurons: 9,763
How about this:

Your life is about to be over, so wouldn't it be fitting to find another person who has the likelihood of many years on this earth, but has no prospects, and spend some or all of your remaining time giving this person a fresh start?

Could be a relative, a neighbor, or a total stranger. It could be something you do for one, or for many.

If you have wealth, spread it where it can do good. Spend time mentoring the young. If you have nothing, you still have your physical body. Make it part of your will to be an organ donor.

So others that faced a dismal future now have one, and they have you to thank.

If you are religious, your good works will be weighed in the balance.

If you aren't religious, it's a powerful way of raging against the coming darkness, a way of making a ripple in eternity before you pass on.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, June 1, 2012 3:21:11 PM

I like that one HWNN - though it's not flippant like a couple of our earlier posts, it's not depressed or depressing either. Very well thought out.
Applause Applause
Choson
Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2012 5:43:31 AM

Neurons: 39
And if you're agnostic/atheistic, then I'd make a bid to get religion. What've you got to lose, you're dying anyway, and it's apparent that the company you're with is either making you a marytr or has given up on you, so &^%$ them (unless you like being a marytr.)