mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Mount Saint Helens Erupts (1980) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Mount Saint Helens Erupts (1980)

Beginning in mid-March 1980, a series of earth tremors and steam explosions at Washington's Mount Saint Helens suggested that the volcano—dormant since 1857—was on the verge of erupting. Then, on May 18, the entire north side of the mountain exploded in a cloud of ash, rock, and fiery gases that collapsed a good part of it and carried debris for many miles. About 60 people were killed, and millions of tons of ash blanketed much of the American northwest. How far did the ash eventually spread? More...
RuthP
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 3:35:56 PM

Neurons: 87,618
I was living in Oregon when St. Helens blew. Usually, I would have been in Seattle that weekend, but had started a new job and didn't take the time off. Many of my friends who went were stuck in Seattle, as I-5, the north-south Interstate, was closed following the eruption, as were most all roads east. A few people drove over to the coast and came down the old coastal highway.

Trace ash fall actually reached as far south as Vancouver, WA and Portland, OR. Farther south in Oregon (at least west of the Cascades) we didn't have appreciable ash fall, but knew it was in the air by the colors at sunrise and sunset.

The ash fall in eastern Washington and, to a much lesser extent, eastern Oregon, Idaho, and Montana wreaked havoc with farm equipment, because it was so abrasive. It clogged air filters and dulled the cutter-bars on harvesters. It also contaminated the harvest and caused problems at grain storage silos.

The TFD post is very good for technical information about the eruption.

Longview, Washington's The Daily News: Mount St. Helens eruption information has a great site, with an excellent timeline, information about the victims, and photos of the ash fall (it's not snow in the one picture; it's ash) and debris flow.

[image not available]

Ash fall

[image not available]

Pyroclastic flow

[image not available]

Mud flow

[image not available]

Mt. St. Helens and Spirit Lake before

[image not available]

Mt. St. Helens and Spirit Lake after

[image not available]

Mt. St. Helens and Spirit Lake about two years after
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 4:10:14 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I live nearly 3000 miles to the East, but on a similar latitude. I can still recall the haunting halo around the moon at night, and the vivid sunsets caused by the ash fallout from that eruption.
rogermue
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 4:20:42 PM

Neurons: 34,900
Sorry, that didn't work. And curiously, I can't delete this post.
thar
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 6:18:32 PM

Neurons: 97,394
explanatory video from US forest service:

http://youtu.be/rbgAOfv-W20

well, if people must live near to silicic volcanoes!