mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
to chuck out the regal niceties of the presidency Options
vava
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:10:45 AM

Neurons: 235
In many ways, Sarkozy was an anomaly as France's president.
He had a foreign-sounding surname. He didn't attend the most elite French university for public servants. He seemed to relish in chucking out the regal niceties of the presidency. His off-the-cuff remarks, like calling a somewhat belligerent passer-by at a Paris farm fair "a poor jerk," got him in trouble.

The Associated Press
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_FAREWELL_SARKOZY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-05-07-09-54-22

Does this mean that Sarkozy did not behave as befits someone of his position?
Wordscrafter
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 11:56:26 AM

Neurons: 260
Yes, definitely! It also means that Sarkozy was'nt part of the usual "lineage" of Presidents. France's presidents were always supposed to have some pedigree. And Sarkozy was an exception to this rule; he wasn't "part of the family", background and educationwise.

Also, France is a very formal, conservative country. Presidents are supposed to behave in a specific way, demonstrate certain values, etc. This is also why the term "presidentiable" has been coined. It means that any serious candidate should display a acceptable behaviour, demonstrate a more formal poise.

Some examples of behaviour many french voters resented concerning Sarkozy("ça ne se fait pas de la part d'un président": having supper at the Fouquets in the following hours of his election, being invited onboard a luxury cruiser near Malta by a wealthy friend, wearing a Rolex and advising every french to try and buy one, rebutting a worker at a factory with "Casse toi pauvre con" (get the h.. out of here, s..r!), etc.

Now, Sarkozy having been the exception to the rule, with François Hollande, France is back to the former implicit "lineage" and behaviour formalism tradition.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, May 7, 2012 2:00:17 PM

Neurons: 31,086
vava wrote:
In many ways, Sarkozy was an anomaly as France's president.
He had a foreign-sounding surname. He didn't attend the most elite French university for public servants. He seemed to relish in chucking out the regal niceties of the presidency. His off-the-cuff remarks, like calling a somewhat belligerent passer-by at a Paris farm fair "a poor jerk," got him in trouble.

The Associated Press
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_FRANCE_FAREWELL_SARKOZY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-05-07-09-54-22

Does this mean that Sarkozy did not behave as befits someone of his position?

More specifically the bolded part suggests that Sarkozy refused to behave more formally as a matter of egalitarianism. The phrase "regal niceties of the presidency" compares the formalities of the presidency to the privileges and demands of a monarchy.

The article suggests that the French voters would like to maintain the decorum of a king but with the accountability of an elected president.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 10:43:14 PM

Neurons: 57,403
I found this excerpt a good illustration of the way in which we bring our own 'affective filters' to things we read and hear.

When I read it I got the farm fuzzies and my immediate thought was "waaay cool!" Then when I read further and saw how these things were the things that worked against him I had to go back and read it again in almost a different persona to understand how the man appeared to others.

Course, it doesn't help that our own Prince Phillip is also famous for the kind of remarks that got Sarkozy into trouble but by some, (especially among anti-monarchists) this is often seen rather fondly as one of his redeeming features!