mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Why? Options
Discombobulated
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:27:26 AM

Neurons: 975
I want to sunbathe to the sea.
I want to go to the sea for sunbathe this summer.
The first was corrected by replacing 'to the sea' with 'by the sea'. The second was corrected by replacing 'for' with to. I know that both sentences sound better with the changes. However, I can't explain why. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?Think
GeorgeV
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:54:56 AM

Neurons: 2,410
Who wrote the original sentences?
leonAzul
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:36:43 AM

Neurons: 31,086
Discombobulated wrote:
I want to sunbathe to the sea.
I want to go to the sea for sunbathe this summer.
The first was corrected by replacing 'to the sea' with 'by the sea'. The second was corrected by replacing 'for' with to. I know that both sentences sound better with the changes. However, I can't explain why. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?Think

The preposition "to" implies a dynamic motion towards a location; the preposition "by" indicates a fixed location. The action "to sunbathe" does not involve traveling nor a great deal of motion — quite the opposite, in fact — so the static "by" is appropriate. "At the beach," "on the beach," and "by the seashore" could work as well.

Non-finite verbs are idiomatically formed by "to + infinitive" or "for + gerund" — there are other patterns of "preposition + gerund" as well, but these are the options that fit in this construction.

The best fit is as suggested: "I want to go to the sea to sunbathe this summer."

A weaker alternative would be "I want to go to the sea for sunbathing this summer," but in the wrong context this makes it sound like you want to go to a particular sea whose only purpose is sunbathing.
thar
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:38:09 AM

Neurons: 92,574
You sunbathe in one place, not going 'to' somewhere.
you sunbathe 'by the sea', or 'at the seaside', (or 'at home', or 'in Barbados', etc etc)

I drive to the sea - this is moving
but
I sunbathe by the sea. - this is in one place

so
I want to sunbathe by the sea

and the second sentence needs a noun the way you have written it, but would be better with the infinitive

you go to the sea to sunbathe (verb infinitive, - in order to sunbathe)

'for' is for an object, a noun. You make that out of the gerund
I want to go to the sea for the sunbathing.

but that sounds odd. You can go for the candyfloss, or for the beaches, but 'the sunbathing' is not something that is there, it is something that you do. So the verb form is much better.

edit - oops, I started writing this before LA post appeared, but I am sure we will agree. And I got to go to Barbados! Whistle

Discombobulated
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:18:12 PM

Neurons: 975
Thank you for your help everyone. I knew the reasons but couldn't put it into words at the time. You are all wonderful for helping!