The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pteromerhanophobia Options
Dubai
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:14:14 AM

Neurons: 25,469
Dear Colleagues.
My sister hates travelling because she is very nervous while travelling by air.
She will fly next week to her home town but she is very tense from now.
Could you suggest some remedies for the problem like medicine or any other suggestions which she can follow and so travel peacefully.
Thanks for your always help.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:30:06 AM

Neurons: 69,969
I do not know if this is possible in a week, or if your sister would be remotely interested, but as a longer term solution, and in the cause of using drugs on the body as little as possible, I would propose that knowing more about it helps.

I think people get nervous flying because it is so strange and odd, and any normal person knows huge chunks of metal do not belong in the sky. (I am not saying people scared of flying are idiots, it is a natural, subconcious logical human thing to think that!). But if you read up about why how aeroplanes fly, the power and the reality of it, then you can sit in the cabin and feel the thrust starting up and feel excited about the takeoff, so maybe not so nervous. Watch the wings to see the ailerons move to achieve lift or descent, and not to see if they are still there! Be more involved and therefore more in control. After all, it is the lack of control that is the scary bit, I guess?

A week is maybe a bit too short to study aeronautics and fluid mechanics (and probably of no interest) and I do not thing that is the psychologist recommended way to treat nervous travellers, but I suggest it anyway!

I am sure other have more conventional (or usable) suggestions!
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:36:20 AM

Neurons: 48,897

Most people recommend drugs, but a conversation with a friend brought a different idea into play (a little psychological trick).

His fear appeared to be the result of feeling as if he had no control as the plane took off. So I suggested he place his foot on the metal foot of the seat ahead of him and pretend it was the accelerator...like an automobile. As the plane began to taxi and speed up, I told him to press with increasing pressure.

He reported to me later that the idea really helped him because if felt as if he was in control of the situation. Once the plane was in the air, he could relax (however, he kept his foot on the "accelerator" just in case). Of course, this will only help if your sister can drive a car, but you can suggest it and see what she thinks of the idea.

A great many people will think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. ~ William James ~
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:57:23 AM

on an unrelated aside, (ie joke Whistle ) what if ptero...phobia is actually a fear of pterodactyls. That is why she is nervous when flying. Tell her pterodactyls are very rare, only a few sightings in the last few years. And they were just babies, not big enough to attack an aeroplane. Although they may try to mate with it....
nomadwa
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:17:49 AM

Neurons: 263
Flying drunk is the only way to fly.
DavidScott
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:31:41 AM

Neurons: 2,076
nomadwa wrote:
Flying drunk is the only way to fly.

There ya go!
almostfreebird
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:38:29 AM

Neurons: 7,024

Taking acid and flying

Peace

sv_shg_mp
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:18:53 PM

Neurons: 3
Dear Dubai,
Please ask your sister to watch and read about this story about Christina, who has similar
fear of flying.

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/people/personal-story/christina

The other episodes are also very good. Hope this helps.

Regards,

SV
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:39:05 PM

Neurons: 43,723
Thar - your answer was very logical - learning about how a plane works etc. But the thing about phobias is that they ARENT logical.

I've spent a huge portion of my life up in tin cans in the sky and it was only one day, when I found myself desperately trying to open the emergency door to escape, that this fear lodged itself.

I have tried everything from hypntotism through drugs to yoga. I even did a course in aero-dynamics (obviously, a very SIMPLE course), and mechanics etc. etc.

It was only when I first had to fly with my own kids and so had to try to hide the sheer, sweat-drenched panic flying always induces in me that I managed to get from A to B without a straight-jacket.

There are often kids flying on their own in the care of a member of the cabin crew (I used to be one of those!) and it is often good to be able to read them a story or chat to them. Helps both of you. Perhaps Dubai's sister could try that?

ps when I finally leave China in July I have already decided to investigate getting from here to Europe by train!
Ray41
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 3:17:39 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Romany wrote:
ps when I finally leave China in July I have already decided to investigate getting from here to Europe by train!

Romany,
If I had the chance to travel overland from China to Europe then I would jump at the opportunity. What a grand adventure. I have seen a few TV shows where people have travelled from the Russian/Pacific coast by pushbike, motorbike, Quad-bike, 4 wheel drives and one of a dilapidated Kombi. The scenery, people and culture would absolutely fascinate me. With a 'name' like Romany, let the 'gypsy' in your soul take command of your spirit for adventure and travel via land. The chance of another opportunity will/may never come your way again. Go for it.Dancing

I am a fatalist when it comes to flying. If this heavier than air contraption has an engine malfunction then it will crash. If it does, then my chances of survival are not good. So be it.Think
I approach life a bit like this, no matter how painful an event may be, whether emotional, psychological or physical, I look to when this event will finish, tell myself that no matter what, it will all be over by that certain time and date. That time/date then becomes a happy event as all the fears that I may have held are accepted and I have a positive goal to look forward to.Angel
Well, it works for me.

While I live I grow.
jeans&sneakers
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:38:26 AM

Neurons: 8,472

>>OFF-TOPIC<<

Romany wrote:

There are often kids flying on their own in the care of a member of the cabin crew (I used to be one of those!) and it is often good to be able to read them a story or chat to them. Helps both of you. Perhaps Dubai's sister could try that?

That's very interesting. I've been planning for months to take a vacation leave for few days and just "get wonderfully lost" but the fear of doing it alone is hindering it.

Ray41 wrote:

Romany,
If I had the chance to travel overland from China to Europe then I would jump at the opportunity. What a grand adventure. I have seen a few TV shows where people have travelled from the Russian/Pacific coast by pushbike, motorbike, Quad-bike, 4 wheel drives and one of a dilapidated Kombi. The scenery, people and culture would absolutely fascinate me. With a 'name' like Romany, let the 'gypsy' in your soul take command of your spirit for adventure and travel via land. The chance of another opportunity will/may never come your way again. Go for it.Dancing

I am a fatalist when it comes to flying. If this heavier than air contraption has an engine malfunction then it will crash. If it does, then my chances of survival are not good. So be it.Think
I approach life a bit like this, no matter how painful an event may be, whether emotional, psychological or physical, I look to when this event will finish, tell myself that no matter what, it will all be over by that certain time and date. That time/date then becomes a happy event as all the fears that I may have held are accepted and I have a positive goal to look forward to.Angel
Well, it works for me.

Reading something like this helped me tremendously to get over my pessimistic mood. Thank you!

At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet. Plato
thar
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:47:13 AM

Romany wrote:
Thar - your answer was very logical - learning about how a plane works etc. But the thing about phobias is that they ARENT logical.

Romany- I am sorry to hear you have such a hard time flying, that must be very tough!

Of course, you are right about the suggestion. Maybe knowledge might help with nervousness, but not a true phobia.

But, as Ray says, you have an opportunity here, a positive aspect. While the other poor sods are crammed into a metal tube, you can have a week of adventure on the Trans-Siberian Railway!

I am not keen on flying because of the hassle, and I like to enjoy a journey and the scenery, so I travel by train whenever possible. (Proper trains that clank on points and you can open the windows, not hermetically sealed transportation modules!) And long distance trains are easier to meet people and talk to than a flight. Unfortunately no train travel in Iceland! If you want to get off the island you can take a ferry to Norway or Denmark but chances are it will get rough, and I get very seasick. Sick
Standing on deck throwing up over the side for days is no fun, and even boring air travel is preferable.

I hope you do get the chance to have a great journey to Europe, and to pity the losers in the plane!
Dubai
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 5:47:20 AM

Neurons: 25,469
Thanks alot for such nice and explanatory replies.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
dingdong
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:15:59 AM

Neurons: 3,370
A drug will give you other problems, and then the druggists will say you need another drug, and so on. The drug industry is not interested in curing problems, it is interested in making money, and lots of it.
To suggest you take a drug is bad advice, and I hope you (or whoever) ignore it.

The best solution is simply face it. Go onboard with a positive attitude, and believe you will enjoy the experience.

So, Romany, the end is in sight. I hope you have only good memories.

almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:47:40 AM

dingdong wrote:
A drug will give you other problems, and then the druggists will say you need another drug, and so on. The drug industry is not interested in curing problems, it is interested in making money, and lots of it.
To suggest you take a drug is bad advice, and I hope you (or whoever) ignore it.

Really?

I have a seasonal allergic rhinitis and a decongestant drug is very helpful and it doesn't give me other problems.

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:25:56 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Romany wrote:

Or maybe a slowboat to...Oh, right, you're coming from China. Angel

Sanity is not statistical
Romany
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 4:12:37 AM

As I've explained elsewhere - am computer-less atm, so sorry not to have finished what I started....

Yeah, re the train:- another thing that made me think about taking the train (oh. well TWO other things) is that with the Olympics happening the prices of air fares are going up astronomically - but not too many people are going to race over by train, I expect.

The second is that years ago when I left Papua New Guinea the plan was to travel up the islands to Japan, then ferry over to Russia and do it all then. Unfortunately they were *pregernphobic back then, so I had to cancel it all. Went by a v e r y slow boat (or series of boats) instead and therein lies not just A tale but a whole heap of them!

Oh, and the other thing is that I have never, ever, mastered the minimalist art of travelling from A to B (even for the weekend) with just a backpack and a clean hanky. Years of being used to hauling a caravan around, I expect. (Yeah,actually Ray, my Grandfather was a real Romany so it must be a tribal memory).

*The word lives only in my head. I was slightly gravid at the time.

And Jeans & Sneakers - being brave for other people has always worked for me. And the great things is, with kids, that if you DO break down and admit you are scared to death they don't judge you: just gaze at you pityingly and pat your hand in a very comforting, if slightly disgusted, way.
thar
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 4:25:36 AM

so, you are looking to teach enthusiastic students in a less commercial environment

you want to travel from China to Europe

you like caravans....

that sounds like an opportunity. Buy a caravan, make it double as a mobile classroom, and wend your way gently through Asia (avoiding all the pesky places that want to kill you, or put you in jail for not paying them bribes, or want you to complete forms in centriculate and wait five years for authorisation to teach - just avoid those places!Whistle )

put a shingle on your caravan, and get paid in yak's milk and priceless carpets! Move on when you feel the urge. I think you should make it you Europe in about 30 to 40 years, barring complications
Ray41
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:35:10 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Romany wrote;
The second is that years ago when I left Papua New Guinea the plan was to travel up the islands to Japan, then ferry over to Russia and do it all then. Unfortunately they were *pregernphobic back then, so I had to cancel it all. Went by a v e r y slow boat (or series of boats) instead and therein lies not just A tale but a whole heap of them!

Oh, and the other thing is that I have never, ever, mastered the minimalist art of travelling from A to B (even for the weekend) with just a backpack and a clean hanky. Years of being used to hauling a caravan around, I expect. (Yeah,actually Ray, my Grandfather was a real Romany so it must be a tribal memory).

Romany, you should write a book on your life and travels. I think that it would be a fantastic read,Dancing but, I will need to be notified of the title name and publishing date,Pray and please, do not leave it to long as Old Father Time is creeping up on me.Anxious

While I live I grow.
dingdong
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:34:42 AM

Neurons: 3,370
almostfreebird wrote:
dingdong wrote:

Really?

I have a seasonal allergic rhinitis and a decongestant drug is very helpful and it doesn't give me other problems.

Haha - how do you know? When you have a symptom you already have the problem.

My point, of course, was that getting on a plane is not a sickness.
almostfreebird
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:15:36 AM

Romany wrote:

But you said, in this thread,
that your son was coming to your place around October
and you were excitedly looking forward to it.
What the duck is going on?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 7:25:53 AM

Neurons: 169,982

Ah afb! - you seem to be in the same state I was in yesterday (I turned up at work on Saturday morning at 6am, not realizing it was Saturday). d'oh!

Romany's comment about her son's visit was about October 2011!

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 4:04:46 AM

Yes AFB - I went back and read that thread again though: incredible to think those 'newbies' are now old hands and that I, myself, will be finally leaving China - something that wasn't on my mind at all that hot Saturday night.
excaelis
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 5:47:32 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I've never been afraid of flying, though I am wary of the plummeting to the ground somewhere other than an airport part.

Sanity is not statistical
almostfreebird
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:12:27 AM

Romany wrote:
Yes AFB - I went back and read that thread again though: incredible to think those 'newbies' are now old hands and that I, myself, will be finally leaving China - something that wasn't on my mind at all that hot Saturday night.

Are you going to get back to China to get together with your children, sooner or later?