mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
sentence construction Options
sharenmalone
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:14:07 PM

Neurons: 6
Do these two similar phrases have different meanings/intent? Please explain.

ABC supports a collaborative model for International Education between Faculties ...

ABC supports a collaborative international education model among Faculties ...
AccidentalPolyglot
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:20:17 AM

Neurons: 33
Any change in wording always effects a change in meaning, even if ever so slightly, to those for whom language is important. And the fact that you are here on this forum makes me believe that you are either one of us who do find language important or one who is eager to learn. Both are good!

A change in sentence structure brings about even more change. Between these two sentences, there is quite a difference.

First, capitalization alone shows differences. The capitalized "Internation Education" must be the name of some particular organization or program or such, or it would not be capitalized. The same words uncapitalized simply describe the model under consideration. Since the examples are not completed sentences, I'm not sure I uncerstand quite what specific "Faculties..." are involved, but again, since it is capitalized, it must be the first name of some specific faculty organization, not simply the faculties of certain schools.

Second, the change in sentence structure is very meaningful. In the first sentence, there is simply a collaborative model for the discussed education program. Who or what is involved in the collaboration is not yet clear, since we don't have the rest of the article of writing, but I'm sure that either has been fully discussed or will be developed in the article. The point is that it is not -- based strictly on the example given -- an international education model. In the second sentence, the model is definitely that of an international education one.

I hope I haven't confused you. If I have, please let me know what you wish clarified.

sharenmalone
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 11:32:13 AM

Neurons: 6
Thank you so much. I knew there was a difference, I just couldn't put it into words, as you have done. Thanks again