mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is there a culture that considers this normal? Options
dusty
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:26:26 PM

Neurons: 5,765
By this I am speaking of the behavior experienced as "getting all worked up" while engaging in discussions of debate regarding complex nuances of written communication?

Even when the nuances are strictly technical and not at all touching on anything even remotely sexual?

Some days I think I may have serious psychological abnormalities, when hearing grammar terms that I am not sure of their meaning leave me feeling slightly aroused.

thorx89
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:56:51 PM

Neurons: 419
dusty wrote:
By this I am speaking of the behavior experienced as "getting all worked up" while engaging in discussions of debate regarding complex nuances of written communication?

Even when the nuances are strictly technical and not at all touching on anything even remotely sexual?

Some days I think I may have serious psychological abnormalities, when hearing grammar terms that I am not sure of their meaning leave me feeling slightly aroused.

That might be some sort of dysfunction. I know Stewie Gryffin gets a full linquistic boner:

http://youtu.be/GqxLl9gU9GI?t=23m41s (starting at 23m41s to 24m00s)
DavidScott
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 12:00:28 AM

Neurons: 2,076
BWAHAHA Thor! I had to save that to "favorites." There must be a treasuretrove of clips relating to Family Guy, I'll have to watch 'em all. Angel Dusty, "getting all worked up" also refers to getting angry, getting upset, getting excited about-for instance, "he's getting all worked up about his coming vacation." It's used less often in a sexual context, in fact, than in these other senses. AE speakers would more often say, "getting aroused," "getting horny" (not a polite term) "getting all hot and bothered." This latter does not have to imply a sexual state, in fact, it most often means getting upset. In vulgar terms, similar to Stewie's in Thor's clip, normally in a group of guys, "getting a hard-on (for) is common, although it might be said about a truck, a boat, or practically anything the speaker admires or strongly desires. AE slang and colloquialisms fall in and out of fashion constantly.
At any rate, I'm pretty sure that wherever you saw this, it was intended to mean that their was a rise in tension (har har) between those who were arguing...although out of context, anything is possible.Angel
dusty
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 1:57:27 AM

Thank you for that link Thor, that crew is great. But now I realize that the many different voices I hear on the radio (or any audio only media) may not be as many different individuals as I think it is. Those people are talented.

Thank you for replying David, to clarify, I am not upset or angry at all. My knowledge of correct usage is not broad nor vast in regards to officially accepted standards for written word. American English is my native tongue, but it is obvious to me when corresponding with others, who is practiced with correct writing form. Their writing sort of stuck out like sore thumbs and when I first noticed this is what began my fascination/obsession with words as communication. All of my schooling was always more math/science related and I took communication through spoken and written languages for granted until about 7 years ago.

That is when strange occurrences began happening in my life and words written sort of began jumping out of pages and screens. Next it was spoken words that began to "highlight" themselves for lack of a better term. Then a peculiar US History textbook described the importance of record keeping and different points of view. Because only until recently have extremely thorough records of just about anything have been recorded, much of history requires a "historical imagination" and all of a sudden thoughts and ideas began entering my mind in ways that were almost foreign to me. I think I should stop there so as to not seem quite so crazy to those who don't personally know me, seeing how I started this post in a half joke/half serious question as it may not be seen as abnormal to members of this particular forum, I am sure there are people elsewhere on line who might be more troubled with a person admitting to being aroused by non-sexual words.

In defense, it had come to be that way due to the mind of attractive women whose words I have read (mostly online) that were responsible for the re-wiring of my mind. Well, at least they were posted from female avatars anyway.
DavidScott
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:11:07 AM

Neurons: 2,076
I'm also new to this site, and no expert, by any means.Think
I'm finding that the people here really enjoy wit, so I may get to develop my sense of humor as well as my grammar skills. Welcome to the forum!
dusty
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:22:39 AM

Thank you David
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:26:22 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Nice to see you get pleasure from your reading Dusty, welcome!
dusty
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 2:34:04 AM

Tovarish wrote:
Nice to see you get pleasure from your reading Dusty, welcome!

Thank you Tovarish
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2012 5:11:16 AM

Neurons: 39,933
No worries!
dingdong
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:43:58 AM

Neurons: 3,370
Dusty. I see nothing peculiar here. Discussing toasters does it for me.
dusty
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 12:07:18 PM

I won't hold it against you DingDong, but just so I am being clear. A better way to put my thoughts regarding this post into words, would have been to simple say:

"Is it just me, or are honest,intelligent, and imaginative people really attractive?"

I should point out though that every person who was gifted at expressing their intelligence with written word, also happened to be very attractive female writers, or DJ's who did the same thing with spoken word.

It just took me a few years to realize, that was what my mind kept identifying and gravitated towards, online.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 6:14:02 PM

Neurons: 32,652
So, you'd be a hardcover kind of guy, right ? ( sorry, dude, couldn't help myself...I am weak, so weak... )
Ms. B. Have
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 7:00:07 AM

Neurons: 686
A private letter to Dusty,

Do forgive me Dusty dear that I break in to bag away some time from you. I've read your words, well-woven, on top of mine with more than eyes alone. They made me send my word towards your word in hope th'll meet and kiss. Though English is your native tongue, our tongue's are not alike, so strange to me your tongue will be and always stay that way. Walkin' this forum my lack of language cripples me to crawl and make me waffle more then scribble wit, 'cause I'm Dutch much more as said Duchess, a tittle to be taken as a jest. Ashamed I am to tell you this <Be blushes while she writes> that writing is still done hands cuff'd to books and dictionar's instead of bind to duckies bunk. Thats why I hope you will condone me that I write a word or two about the thoughts you brought to us so sweet and fair, even not remotely sexual you said, no doubt that's true, to say that words can truly turn you on. Your question was, still maybe is, may comprehension me not fail; is there a culture to be found that will declare this not insane? With down-pouring tears and palpitate pen on pixel-paper I write these words for you to read, and read them well and slow, my friend if I may call you so. Oh, could I hold your dusty head upon my saltly squirted breast, I would and would for sure because what I've to tell will hurt when heard by heart or more. My lips will whisper in your ear that you're not doomed like most doomed are, but worse much worse: your doom is like my doom, and hell knows how I'm doomed. The sickness in your head you found is an increasing illness of the heart. An incurable disease we share that haunt us where we go and stay and leave us peace nor rest unless we find a word to love. Lovers like we do love the word like butchers love dead meat and fondlers meat alive. For you and I a word is what the groom is for the bride undress'd in bridal bed, and without words our world shall turn into a cloister without nuns. Now we are cursed to read and write our time of earthly stay away, and are to do so till Grim Reaper comes to close our book of life and our reading eyes alike. This dis-ease we share is born worldwide and baptised with a name. Please my love first take your breath before I elucidate that name, the insanity we share in pain by world is known as poetry.

Be

GabhSigenod
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 9:21:52 AM

Neurons: 149,736
dingdong wrote:
Dusty. I see nothing peculiar here. Discussing toasters does it for me.

Like gravity, toasters can be real bitches.
dusty
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:44:39 PM

Oh! Be! oO00Oo0OH! Beeee! Call it haunted, call it hell, spell it any way you please, just promise me my name is in the first and last slots, on your schedule of eternity
dusty
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:55:40 PM

As long as the elements heat up and can handle Belgian Eggos, gravity, toasters, and outspoken attitudes get the green light at all intersections in my town GabhSigenod.

And yes Excaelis, hardbacks prop up easier so that both my hands are free to rifle back and forth through the pages until the spine disintegrates into paperback and forgets it's title and the author forgets her name for a good couple of minutes until she finally comes to, after losing herself in the intense reading.