Welcome Guest
Heart burns? Options
jagh55
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:18:17 PM

Neurons: 920
Quote:
I got my eyes set on you
My heart is burning red

I don't understand the use of the verb burn here. What is she saying? She's experiencing heart burns? d'oh! The line I got my eyes set on you shows that she's obviously in love with the person whom she's got eyes on. But the next line just confuses me!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:32:18 PM

Neurons: 591,579
Heartburn, also known as pyrosis or acid indigestion is a burning sensation in the chest, just behind the breastbone or in the epigastrium. The pain often rises in the chest and may radiate to the neck, throat, or angle of the jaw.

In this case the lyricist is referring to burning love.

[image not available]

thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 3:38:41 PM

Neurons: 91,971
burning, flame, heat - is passion, intense emotion

set on is more 'determined, focussed' (although obviously, depends on context, and as has been said before here, song lyrics are not always entirely logical and explanatory!)

so my heart is burning (intensely, red) with passion, desire, love...

also, maybe painful!
jagh55
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:35:57 PM

Neurons: 920
Ah, I see. Thank you!
DavidScott
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:18:31 PM

Neurons: 2,076
I'm not sure if these responses fully explore the use of the word. Love is frequently addressed with "heat" metaphores. Look at Jim Morrison's lyrics in the song "Light My Fire." In English, heat, arousal, desire, are frequently described in terms of sensations akin to burning. There are many reasons for this, of which the foremost may be the actual physical sensation associated with sexual arousal. Also, in this case, it implies intensity...imagine a fire burning out of control, or fanned by the wind, it suggests something that's all-consuming. The above usage is less about this physical sensation and yet is still all-inclusive, when one's heart is burning, one feels more of an eternal devotion than an in-the-moment condition. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that "My heart is burning red" means that all of one's fidelity and devotion is given over, in contrast to the use of metaphores involving heat, desire, allconsuming passion, etc. I hope my argument makes sense.
Shivanand
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:31:06 PM

Neurons: 229,316
Agree with JJ and thar. DaviScott has elaborated on what thar has posted. Perhaps DavidScot is very imginative and is trying to live the verse.

Cheers!