mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
an annoying spelling game never to be won by me. Options
prolixitysquared
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 9:27:29 PM

Neurons: 3,101
I just remembered something from my youth that was so irking and yet now seems more amusing, since I can step away from it.

My one nephew is only a few years younger than me and often acted like my brother. He would play this annoying spelling game I could never win, in which he would expect me to spell a word that had two different spellings / meanings (homophone !). When I would ask him to use the word in a sentence, he would use the two different words in the example sentence. When I would ask for a definition, he would say in a monotone manner that unfortunately, none was available at that moment.

And if I said I didn't want to play the game, that was apparently not an option. He would bug me until I answered.

His prime example sentence was this--

"I don't know whether or not the weather will be good today."

Of course, he was saying this aloud, so I could not guess the spelling, and no matter what I said, he would say, "I'm sorry, but that is incorrect."

Oh children ! At least it's easier to appreciate now that it's in the past. I can still sense a bit of my irritation with it nonetheless !
AJC
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:37:06 AM

Neurons: 2,436
Hello All. This is my first posting. I've perused a lot. Your discussion of spellings caused me to take the plunge. What's your take on "preventive" versus "preventative"? I was certain the former was correct. However, I've seen preventative written and heard it spoken by those whom I am sure know what they are saying. The ta just sounds extra and unnecessary to me. What say you?
EllieMae
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:11:26 PM

Neurons: 6,579
AJC wrote:
Hello All. This is my first posting. I've perused a lot. Your discussion of spellings caused me to take the plunge. What's your take on "preventive" versus "preventative"? I was certain the former was correct. However, I've seen preventative written and heard it spoken by those whom I am sure know what they are saying. The ta just sounds extra and unnecessary to me. What say you?

Hi AJC, I'm only slightly less a newbie to the forums than yourself. I think your question is intriguing. Think

I had to think about it and even checked the Free Dictionary as I hadn't consciously realized there were two different words/spellings. I think I use preventative more but perhaps I have used both without realizing it. Looks like both are acceptable according the entry under preventive. Two phrases come to mind, of which I may have them incorrect: "preventive medicine" and "preventative measures". I have the impression these are both the common ways of using these phrases. Looking forward to other users' thoughts.

Hope you enjoy the site & the forums, AJC!
EllieMae
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 2:43:33 PM

Neurons: 15,842
To prolixitysquared

I have a brother 2 years older then me. Your story reminded me about our games. It was ..I spy something pink (or any color). We stood on our front porch waiting for our parents to go to church. Well, I couldn't guess something pink. So, I gave up. He said, "It's the ribbon in your hair." Brick wall
Alyssa
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:01:12 AM

Neurons: 20
Christine wrote:
To prolixitysquared

I have a brother 2 years older then me. Your story reminded me about our games. It was ..I spy something pink (or any color). We stood on our front porch waiting for our parents to go to church. Well, I couldn't guess something pink. So, I gave up. He said, "It's the ribbon in your hair." Brick wall

Hahaha... i'm sure u didn't see that one coming... well, i'm quite good with spelling.. i can even spell words that i've never come across but that doesn't mean i'd know the meaning of the words... =p
AJC
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:05:21 AM

Thank you for the nice welcome eddiecon and elliemae and your replies. I was surprised to find that both preventive and preventative are acceptable. I wince every time I hear "preventative." I don't see/hear/read the difference.
AJC
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:07:56 AM

As a "newbie" I have questions. Will someone enlighten me as to where I go to find the information on the workings of this site? Points,ranking,quick log-in(having difficulty with that one)etc. AJC
AccidentalPolyglot
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:21:18 PM

Neurons: 33
Funny story! The cynic in me now (and even then) would want to say, "A spelling will be forthcoming just as soon as a definition is available!" but the truth is that I would have loved such a game. Upon hearing "I don't know whether or not the weather will be good today," I would have spelled both words and informed him that the two pronunciations were not quite the same!
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:45:11 PM

Neurons: 33,836
AJC wrote:
As a "newbie" I have questions. Will someone enlighten me as to where I go to find the information on the workings of this site? Points,ranking,quick log-in(having difficulty with that one)etc. AJC

The first thing to do is to scroll down to the very bottom of this page and click on the link that says "Forum Terms and Guidelines." I'm not sure how far that will get you in terms of the specific questions you have, but it's a place to start. You may also want to peruse the previous topics in the Site Features section.

Any remaining questions you have about the site, I would highly recommend that you post as a new topic(s) in the Site Features section. That way, a greater number of members will see your question than will see it here buried in a single thread with an entirely different kind of topic heading. Sometimes the administrators will see and answer questions posed in that section, too.
AccidentalPolyglot
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:56:15 PM

Neurons: 33
To AJC:

"Preventive" is the preferred usage, even though, as others have pointed out, both words, "preventive" and "preventative" are acceptable. When you consult a good dictionary for "preventative", it will point you toward "preventive", the preferred word.

As you can see, I'm a "newbie" (Oh, I hate that term!) here, too, though I've used various forums for years. Many forums have an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), but I'm not finding that here. Maybe I've missed something. There is a link at the bottom of each page to "Forum Terms and Guidelines", but that doesn't address the point system. There is a query regarding this topic in the "Site Features" area, but still no clarification.

Once thing that is standard on all forums (and I mention this not to criticize, just to inform,) is that if you wish to comment or ask a question about something other than the topic of the original post in a thread, you should begin a new thread. To do that, just click on one of the "New Topic" buttons found top and bottom on the right edge of of each page. You would even do that with each of your two topics here, "preventive/preventative" usage and points system, making sure that each new thread is posted in the correct area.

Hth!