mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
How many (young women) are (women are )pursuing careers in science? Options
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:22:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 3,822
Neurons: 14,725
Location: Seiyun, Hadramawt, Yemen
Could you let me know which is the better? Would you mind enlightening me why one is the better than the other?

How many young women are pursuing careers in science?
How many are young women pursuing careers in science?

Thanks a lot,
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:42:04 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/3/2009
Posts: 3,917
Neurons: 15,842
I like the first.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:57:26 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 3,822
Neurons: 14,725
Location: Seiyun, Hadramawt, Yemen
Christine wrote:
I like the first.

Could you please let me know why this seems better?

For me, however, I prefer the second because as far as I know the first sounds as if there are two subjcts "how many" and "young women".
As far as I know that when we translate this quesions inton a statemnt contianing indirect will be formulated as follows;

I find it encouraging how many young women are pursuing careers in science.
Thus, someone might be asking where the differnce between the interrogative clause", which is being underlined, and the direct quesion as in this "How many young women are pursuing careers in science?" is.

Rhondish
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:20:17 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/20/2009
Posts: 256
Neurons: 787
Location: NH - United States
The 1st is grammatically correct, but may I ask the context?
I only ask because many women, in general, are changing careers and pursuing careers in the sciences for multiple reasons:

1. These careers are non-traditional for women (unlike teaching or nursing which are considered traditional) and there are more financial aid dollars. BTW - this is not gender biased, men can pursue teaching and nursing and will find more financial aid. This may be the US only and state specific.

2. Many women pursue further education AFTER raising a family, and the sciences offer more opportunites are not as subject to bias based on age.

3. Many women in Nursing are pursuing further education in the sciences to advance their careers.

4. Many women in Law are pursing further education in the sciences to be able to specialize.

The above being said "How many women are pursuing careers in science?" would be best if your context is referring to women as a whole.

To complete you actual question "How many are young women pursuing careers in science?", has no adverb/verb/subject agreement. "How often are young women pursuing careers in science?" would be correct, but again, this would depend on the context.
dingdong
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:31:05 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/7/2010
Posts: 1,139
Neurons: 3,370
Location: Philippines
A cooperator wrote:
Could you let me know which is the better? Would you mind enlightening me why one is the better than the other?

How many young women are pursuing careers in science?
How many are young women pursuing careers in science?

Thanks a lot,


The first is a complete entity. You don't need further information. It is a simple question.
The second implies more information about 'How many'. Example: How many of the students are young women pursuing careers in science?

It is not a big issue, although the first is more acceptable. The second is clumsy as it stands.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:49:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 3,822
Neurons: 14,725
Location: Seiyun, Hadramawt, Yemen
dingdong wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
Could you let me know which is the better? Would you mind enlightening me why one is the better than the other?

How many young women are pursuing careers in science?
How many are young women pursuing careers in science?

Thanks a lot,


The first is a complete entity. You don't need further information. It is a simple question.
The second implies more information about 'How many'. Example: How many of the students are young women pursuing careers in science?

It is not a big issue, although the first is more acceptable. The second is clumsy as it stands.


IF we reformulate that question to be a statement containing an indirect question, it will be as follows:

I find it encouraging how many young women are pursuing careers in science.
Thus, someone might be asking where the difference between the interrogative content clause(an indirect question), which is being underlined, and the direct question as in this "How many young women are pursuing careers in science?" is.

A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:21:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/27/2011
Posts: 3,822
Neurons: 14,725
Location: Seiyun, Hadramawt, Yemen
A cooperator wrote:
dingdong wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
Could you let me know which is the better? Would you mind enlightening me why one is the better than the other?

How many young women are pursuing careers in science?
How many are young women pursuing careers in science?

Thanks a lot,


The first is a complete entity. You don't need further information. It is a simple question.
The second implies more information about 'How many'. Example: How many of the students are young women pursuing careers in science?

It is not a big issue, although the first is more acceptable. The second is clumsy as it stands.


IF we reformulate that question to be a statement containing an indirect question, it will be as follows:

I find it encouraging how many young women are pursuing careers in science.
Thus, someone might be asking where the difference between the interrogative content clause(an indirect question), which is being underlined, and the direct question as in this "How many young women are pursuing careers in science?" is.



Could anyone reply me to close this issue, please?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.