mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
an inquiry about iPad Options
A cooperator
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 8:48:45 AM

Neurons: 14,725
Hi,

I have received this message:

Please also send us your Unique Device Identifier (UDID) - you can find this by;
1) Clicking on the App store icon on your iPad
2) then type 'UDID+' in the search field
3)You will then see a list of suggestions, please select 'UDID+'. If 'UDID+' doesn't appear in the list, click on search on the keypad
4) you will then see a selection of apps appear. Please select the UDID+ app, then
(i) Download UDID+
(ii) Open UDID+ app
(iii) Click on Send UDID
(iv) Your device details will appear on screen and ready for you to send in an email

However I don't have an iPad. I have only a laptop. Dose he mean with iPad that it is a programme.?

Thanks a lot
Angus
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 1:56:10 PM

Neurons: 5,146
A UDID is a serial number for an Apple iDevice (iPhone, iPod, iPad). UDID+ is an "app" or program that reveals information about the specific iDevice it runs on.
leonAzul
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:17:03 PM

Neurons: 31,086
A cooperator wrote:
Hi,

Please also send us your Unique Device Identifier (UDID) - you can find this by;
3)You will then see a list of suggestions, please select 'UDID+'. If 'UDID+' doesn't appear in the list, click on search on the keypad
4) you will then see a selection of apps appear. Please select the UDID+ app, then
(i) Download UDID+
(ii) Open UDID+ app
(iii) Click on Send UDID
(iv) Your device details will appear on screen and ready for you to send in an email

However I don't have an iPad. I have only a laptop. Dose he mean with iPad that it is a programme.?

Thanks a lot

You have received a "phishing" scam message. These are designed to trick you into revealing information that could allow others to control your equipment and cause other trouble.

You don't have an iPod and you don't have a Mac, and from what you have written here, I believe that you have never claimed to have one. That should be your first clue that something suspicious is going on here.

Many online email services include a widget or form to report spoofing (the use of false identification in the message headers), phishing (fraudulent messages that attempt to get sensitive information), or spam (advertisements for goods or services that have not been asked for); this would be a good time to use it.

If it appears convincingly to have come from someone you know, you might want to alert them that their computer's security has been compromised.

Otherwise just mark it as junk and forget about it.

Edited to add:

It occurs to me that Apple Inc. might be very interested to hear about this, if they haven't already. Apple has been extremely careful about limiting who can write software for the iOS devices for just this reason. If you look carefully at the links for this so-called "UDID app," I am certain you will find that it does not go to Apple's official App Store. Think
A cooperator
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 7:05:33 PM

Neurons: 14,725
leonAzul wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
Hi,

(i) Download UDID+
(ii) Open UDID+ app
(iii) Click on Send UDID

Thanks a lot

You have received a "phishing" scam message. These are designed to trick you into revealing information that could allow others to control your equipment and cause other trouble.

You don't have an iPod and you don't have a Mac, and from what you have written here, I believe that you have never claimed to have one. That should be your first clue that something suspicious is going on here.

Many online email services include a widget or form to report spoofing (the use of false identification in the message headers), phishing (fraudulent messages that attempt to get sensitive information), or spam (advertisements for goods or services that have not been asked for); this would be a good time to use it.

If it appears convincingly to have come from someone you know, you might want to alert them that their computer's security has been compromised.

Otherwise just mark it as junk and forget about it.

Edited to add:

It occurs to me that Apple Inc. might be very interested to hear about this, if they haven't already. Apple has been extremely careful about limiting who can write software for the iOS devices for just this reason. If you look carefully at the links for this so-called "UDID app," I am certain you will find that it does not go to Apple's official App Store. Think

Thanks a lot, I have received this message because I have emailed BBC and told them I have encountered an error:
This is the content of my message:
I am writing now to enquire you about why the programmes, especially(TV) such as films don't play at with me at all.
On the other hand, there didn't sound that the download was doing and when I have tried clicking the button "download option" I have encountered this error message " Download unavailable: this episode is not available for download. To find out why, please click here"
Morefuther, I would like to say that I have installed a BBC iPlayer Download Manager on my desktop, but unfortunatelly I didn't detect any benefit or feature of it. I was expected that I can download anything I want to this path "C:\Users\Public\Videos\My Deliveries\iplayer_live" and then I will play them with BBC iPlayer which is installed on my desktop even I am not online on your site. But unfortunatelly it seemed the reverse.

This is their reply:
We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties viewing some of the content on BBC iPlayer.

You must be online to watch a video, unless you have already downloaded programmes. If the video seems to have problems playing, we recommend checking to see there is an active Wi-Fi or 3G connection in the first instance.

To enable us to identify a solution could you help us by briefly explaining the following please;

* what part of the application were you using when you experienced the difficulties, and what were you trying to do? e.g. select a programme, download an episode
* what is the name of the programme you were trying to watch?
* was there any disturbance or interruption to the connectivity before or during the time you were trying to view the content?
* If you were connecting via Wi-Fi, was there a continuous strong signal for your connection?

* from which country are you trying to access the app.

Please provide us with as much detail as possible.

(i) Download UDID+
(ii) Open UDID+ app
(iii) Click on Send UDID

On top of that, I am quite surprised why they mentioned to an iPad, although I haven't said I have an iPad.

leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:02:41 AM

Neurons: 31,086
Since this is in response to an email you sent, you can disregard what I said bout phishing, but keep it in mind if something like that comes from someone you didn't get in touch with first.

You can also disregard the part about the iPad. This is just an automatic form letter. I don't think anyone has actually read your email message yet.

The current software is an Adobe Air application. You can check here at an Adobe sponsored web forum for user-provided help.
http://forums.adobe.com/

The BBC is entirely government funded through taxes, television licenses, and the sale of copyrighted materials — the CDs and DVDs of their programs and series. Anyone outside of the UK has only limited access to BBC programming. That means very few video streams, no video downloads, and time-limited access to weekly radio programs. They use the device IDs on mobiles and desktops to verify the television license. If you don't have a valid license, you can't watch any of the BBC TV programs.

In other words, even if the app is properly installed, there is little to be seen, and you might think it is broken.