mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
North Korea to launch Long Range Missiles Options
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:45:59 PM

Neurons: 39,933
As President Obama and our Prime Minister are in South Korea, North Korea has claimed they will test long range

missiles, (with the potential of being nuclear), next month.

The launch pad is already in place, and the estimated range is very long, estimating an ability to reach Australia.

Lets hope the new young leader is responsible with his new toys.

excaelis
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:28:09 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Uncle Billy figured it out...

Billy Connolly - Nuclear Weapons
HWNN1961
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 12:57:20 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Great comic spin on the nuclear age Ex. The term "f**kwit" has officially been added to my repertoire.

As to North Korea: AKA Mordor, Outland, or as Lewis Black once opined "the land where those evil monkies from the wizard of oz came from"...

Unless and until China stops backstoping this regime, they'll continue with brinksmanship to get food aid and attention.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:41:50 PM

Neurons: 6,180
If all this has gotten you down you might like to listen to this Tom Lehrer song to lift your mood
dingdong
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:47:06 AM

Neurons: 3,370
For me, the most fascinating place on earth. Orchestrated weeping, brain-washing of children, six-lane highways with no cars, no tourism and citizens have no contact with the world outside ....

I heard they're only doing this launch because the recently deceased Kim wished it.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:00:24 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Japan is sufficiently confident that the thing will wander way off course that it has deployed anti-missile systems to intercept it. I seem to recall other aberrant attempts by NK to do similar at shorter range (the thing blew up after a few seconds). Aerodynamics is still very challenging.
Jeech
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:12:33 PM

Neurons: 4,436
Good to the "free-agent" who makes the US military industry running from this part of the world.
Geeman
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 5:41:57 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Ugh, another NK technological triumph....

Are we actually worried about these guys? China and/or Japan are going to have to deal with them long before they bother with the U.S. again. Sure, they'll spout a bunch of anti-American nonsense, but the Kim Jong Sun, Il, Eun trio are starting to look more and more like the Korean versions of Moe, Larry, and Curly to me.
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:07:31 PM

Neurons: 7,024

The Three Stooges(Moe, Larry, and Curly) didn't carry out serious child abduction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megumi_Yokota

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese_citizens

Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:39:55 PM

In a recent issue of the Time magazine,there is a photo of the Glorious Leader, walking along holding hands with an old man in uniform.

What can you say????????

My worry is if they launch this so called, long range missile, some where between North Korea,the Philippines & Australia the dam thing will

fall to bits, what goes up must come down!
dingdong
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:56:57 PM

Geeman wrote:

Are we actually worried about these guys? China and/or Japan are going to have to deal with them long before they bother with the U.S. again. Sure, they'll spout a bunch of anti-American nonsense, but the Kim Jong Sun, Il, Eun trio are starting to look more and more like the Korean versions of Moe, Larry, and Curly to me.

Geeman, NK citizens are brainwashed to hate the US, not China or Japan.
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:29:39 PM

dingdong wrote:

Will you offer the information source? not your frivolous statement.

Geeman
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 3:23:11 PM

dingdong wrote:
Geeman wrote:

So? Who cares? Ineffectual hatred is less harmful than effectual annoyance. (See "France" for more information.)

Besides, NK citizens are simply brainwashed. Yes, their focus is presently the U.S. but that could change in an Orwellian second. Korea has historically had problems with both China and Japan. One broadcast from the glorious leader and they'll shift targets before you can say "1984."

In Real Politik, America is the target because in the mindset of the North Korean leadership the U.S. can somehow "ordain" legitimacy upon them. In truth, we can't anymore than anyone else can, and as soon as the NK government realizes that are getting most of their rice from China, and Japan is the real pope of Asia, they'll switch....
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:07:30 PM

Gotta mostly agree with the Geeman:

The USA's main interest in Asia is to protect free trade, the sea lanes, and keep existing alliances with Japan and ANZAC strong.

But, there is a real resentment in the North that there will never be an opportunity to conquer the South as long as the US honors its committments to R.O.K.

Not that there isn't room for Orwell's children to imagine other evil monkies hiding in their closet...but as long as the prize (forced reunification) is denied to them, the USA will remain a boogyman of choice.
Jeech
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 6:05:12 AM

Being America's friend may have been world's most beautiful thing but if a country once, allows the military bases there, actually trades off with the region's peace. This has been a tragic fact in Asian history where the US has madled the most.

At some extent, the military might and the world wide military bases of the empire of our times has crafted a threat of "world wide war" as her very deterrent that is serving her dire interests world over. Any country who trys to develop it's own deffence from such a threat actually threatens the empire. In this context a responsible country is supposed to keep quiet otherwise be responsible to triger the WW.
Geeman
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:20:20 PM

Jeech wrote:
Being America's friend may have been world's most beautiful thing but if a country once, allows the military bases there, actually trades off with the region's peace. This has been a tragic fact in Asian history where the US has madled the most.

At some extent, the military might and the world wide military bases of the empire of our times has crafted a threat of "world wide war" as her very deterrent that is serving her dire interests world over. Any country who trys to develop it's own deffence from such a threat actually threatens the empire. In this context a responsible country is supposed to keep quiet otherwise be responsible to triger the WW.

Another case in point....
dingdong
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:49:05 AM

almostfreebird wrote:
dingdong wrote:

Will you offer the information source? not your frivolous statement.

AFB, to be termed frivolous by you, is rich indeed.
My source is simply respected journalism.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:29:30 PM

The missile is supposed to be launching a satelite.

I do believe the NK's are brain washed, a country where if you didnt laugh enough, weep enough etc, would obviously lead to retribution in some

horrible manner.

Enough food would help put a smile on their faces!

dingdong
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:54:39 AM

It's blast-off. No one knows exactly when they're going to launch, although Aljazeera says it'll be in the next 5 days. They'll probably do it on the 15th, when it's the 100th anniversary of the birth of the first Kim (the great one, that is, not the one who imbibed fine brandy while his people starved).

I live in the Phils, and am in some danger. Also, the Phils is having a spat with China. My God - David and Goliath.
almostfreebird
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 3:55:00 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:29:44 PM

Neurons: 595,331
Some positive light in all this,
also the Chinese and Russian governments are concerned of DPRK intentions.
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:40:53 PM

I think maybe the operative term here should be that NK will ATTEMPT to launch a long range missile.

I personally wouldn't want to be anywhere near that launch pad!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:48:10 PM

How could you possibly get there by any means?
Shhh
Geeman
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:08:52 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
How could you possibly get there by any means?
Shhh

Apparently the NKs are looking for Western journalists to cover the event. A press pass and notebook might go a long ways.... I think Lisa Ling's sister tried that, though, and it didn't work out too well for her.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:52:03 PM

Rocket launched, and blew up 90 seconds later! harmlessly over the sea..

Can someone explain to me the meaning of a banner in an auditorium in NK, "Long Live our Glorious Juche Idea"?

I have had some 'juicy ideas' but don't believe it is the same thing.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:37:28 PM

Neurons: 68,819
Oh! Oh! Oh!...Let me be the first! *Ahem* It looks like Kim Jong-un just can't get it up. More on this breaking news later. LOL...man, that was fun!
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:05:45 PM

...As I said, "Attempted"....
Geeman
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 1:52:50 AM

Hmmm. Let's see.... What is the appropriate amount of "I told you so" tone for me to strike? I don't want to be mean-spirited, but still... I did kinda call this one.

OK, how's this:

[image not available]

Too much?

Jeech
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:04:06 PM

Pakistan's Benz Bhuto brought missile tech from NK. We have upto 5000 km range tested missiles so far. Yeah, still fireworks amoung the intercontinental ones.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 6:45:22 PM

Jeech wrote:
Pakistan's Benz Bhuto brought missile tech from NK. We have upto 5000 km range tested missiles so far. Yeah, still fireworks amoung the intercontinental ones.

That tech brought from DPRK?
Have you tested it?
Jeech
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 1:37:15 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Jeech wrote:

That tech brought from DPRK?
Have you tested it?

Yes, Ghauri scud is cirtainly the one. Bhutto privately paid some hard cash for 90 modules on a single CD. Dr. Q. Khan unvield it when he was alledged for transfering nuclear technology to DRPK in exchange of missile tech. You know Benz Bhutto was quite prowest, I think she was tasked to bring the so called tech and test them in very prowest observations. And yes, they successfully are tested and yet on constant developments. Anyhow, the preparation on ground differs from modular technologies on the papers and quite a science fiction for many countries.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 3:34:19 AM

It is an amazing thing with countries that choose nuclear weapons over feeding their people.

There is an old Aussie saying 'They would rather a fight than a feed'.

Australia doesn't have nuclear weapons and was going rather soft on nuclear electricity generators, until the tragedy in Japan.

We do have nuclear medicine, and sell uranium to countries in the Non proliferation Treaty.

Klaas V
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:01:17 AM

Neurons: 4,802
FounDit wrote:
Oh! Oh! Oh!...Let me be the first! *Ahem* It looks like Kim Jong-un just can't get it up. More on this breaking news later. LOL...man, that was fun!

LOL

People like him shouldn't play with fire at all. God punished immediately with the entire bunch of guardian angels. It's scary by the way. Suppose he tries again and succeeds?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 9:40:48 AM

Tovarish wrote:

Can someone explain to me the meaning of a banner in an auditorium in NK, "Long Live our Glorious Juche Idea"?

I have had some 'juicy ideas' but don't believe it is the same thing.

Juche or Chuch'e is the political ideology of North Korea, their very own version of communism. Created by Kim Il-sung through 50's to 70's.

Here's the TFD article: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Juche
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 11:07:30 AM

To be fair, they did get it half right:

They said they'd launch a missile. Check!

They said it would be "long range". Even allowing for interpretation of what "long range" means: no-go!

Hey, if this were baseball, that's a .500 average.