The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gettin High on Solos... Options
Alias
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 1:16:43 AM

Neurons: 1,993
Best solo musical performances ever....???

I can think of so many but I will give others a chance to flex their musical tastes and share with us all one or more musical solo performances they love....
I will kick it off with Keith Jarrett. The Koln Concert was a milestone in Jazz and music generally and improvisation in particular.

The amazing thing about the Koln Concert is that it was almost cancelled!!!! everything went wrong. Keith had not slept for two days and he was irritable and cranky, There were all sorts of problems setting up and then Keiths Piano dint arrive and the Piano available was inferior and not quite right.....At the last minute Keith just bit the bullet and played his ass off...some say the circumstances and the consummate artist that Jarrett is made it so special...he does things with this piano that had never been done before... Get hold of a copy...the best possible recording/pressing and play it back on the best equip you can find in the best room....you will experience a true wonder of improvisational art...enjoy

Due to copyright I cant post that concert here (Groan!!!) but I have included a great piece by Keith Jarrett recorded live in Tokyo in 1984. This was during a world tour. Shortly after this concert he toured Australia and I saw him live.

KEITH JARRETT - Live in Concert Tokyo 1984 complete improvisation from start to finish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR6Zxb_M7FA&feature=related
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 5:04:06 AM

Neurons: 7,024
richsap
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 6:58:30 AM

Neurons: 1,510
George Winston is my all-time favorite solo piano player. He also plays "slack key" (Hawaiian styled) guitar. There are some videos of him on YouTube.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 7:16:00 AM

Neurons: 588,057
Lazy as I am, a quote from Wikipedia:

"The Black Page" is a piece by American composer Frank Zappa known for being extraordinarily difficult to play. Originally written for the drum kit and melodic percussion, the piece was later rearranged in several versions, including a disco and a so-called New Age version.

Drummer Terry Bozzio said of the piece:

"He wrote it because we had done this 40-piece orchestra gig together and he was always hearing the studio musicians in LA that he was using on that talking about the fear of going into sessions some morning and being faced with 'the black page'. So he decided to write his "Black Page". Then he gave it to me, and I could play parts of it right away. But it wasn't a pressure thing, it just sat on my music stand and for about 15 minutes every day for 2 weeks before we would rehearse, I would work on it. And after 2 weeks I had it together and I played it for him. And he said, "Great!" took it home, wrote the melody and the chord changes, brought it back in. And we all started playing it."

On the live album Zappa in New York, Zappa noted the "statistical density" of the piece. It is written in common time with extensive use of tuplets, including tuplets inside tuplets. At several points there is a quarter note triplet in which each beat is counted with its own tuplet of 5, 5 and 6; at another is a half note triplet in which the second beat is a tuplet of 7, and the third beat is divided into tuplets of 4 and 5. The song ends with a quarter note triplet composed of tuplets of 5, 5, and 6, followed by two tuplets of 11.

Australian drummer Chris Quinlan explained and demonstrated the polyrhythms, nested polyrhythms (quintuplets and sextuplets played within a 3:2 polyrhythm), polymeters (5/4 phrases played over 4/4 time signature) and structure of "The Black Page" on "Melbourne Musos" TV Show, episode 122, aired in 1999 on Australian Community TV station, C31 Melbourne.

In 2001, Terry Bozzio and Chad Wackerman released the video "Solos and Duets" which features "The Black Page" played as a duet between the two ex-Zappa Drummers with a transcription of the piece scrolling along the bottom of the screen as it is being played.

In 2006, "The Black Page" was featured on Zappa Plays Zappa - Tour de Frank, an ambitious effort by Dweezil Zappa to bring Zappa music to the stage again, played by himself and a new band. The 2006 tour also included, as special guests, Zappa alumni Napoleon Murphy Brock, Bozzio, and Steve Vai. In the 2006 shows, "The Black Page" was played once as a drum solo by Bozzio, then a second time as a guitar duet with Steve Vai.

Zappa Plays Zappa - The Black Page #1 and #2

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:05:38 AM

Billy Cobham in Paris with Mahavishnu Orchestra, 1972
SilvatungdaViel
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 8:48:08 AM

Neurons: 733
almostfreebird
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 9:14:22 AM

GENE KRUPA in Taxi Driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSUYzg18jM

almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:56:21 AM

My favorite Harmonica:

Oh Lonesome Me

almostfreebird
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:35:28 AM

Jethro Tull

Greensleeves

tootsie
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:21:59 AM

Neurons: 23,730
tootsie
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:27:14 PM

Neurons: 23,730
thank you for the JT solo afb (very special)

sorry, don't know why I'm on drum solos at the moment but anyway.....

Ginger Baker
http://youtu.be/QNm1AGX9vMM

and by the way - beautiful solo, beautiful song, beautiful art, and the rest

http://youtu.be/dipFMJckZOM

jeans&sneakers
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:21:59 AM

Neurons: 8,472

Rolling In The Deep by Adele rocks my socks! :p She has the voice I wish I had Pray
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 5:34:04 AM

This would suit well in guitar solos and what tickles your ivory threads...
A fine example of a piano and guitar unisono.

David Sancious & Tone - The Play and Display of the Heart