mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
MS Word and other word processors Options
NicoleR
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:58:51 AM

Neurons: 213
Has anyone ever contemplated how far word processing programs have come? Even now, comparing Word 95 to Word 07, the basics are the same, but the program has evolved so much. I remember when I used to type up papers in WordPerfect. Is that program even around anymore?

I have also realized that I am not a fan of Word 07. I have major issues with the "standard" layout. We are all used to 12 pt., Times New Roman, single-spaced; this has been the standard as long as I can remember. I'm having a very hard time adjusting to 11 pt., Calibri, 1.15 line spacing. I guess Microsoft is trying to modernize us, but this is a little much for me.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:35:59 AM

Neurons: 6,040
Sad to say, I can remember a day before even Word Perfect when one had to use a typewriter with carbon paper for copies. I can't say I miss the typewriter thought I know some who do.
Drew
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:13:01 PM

Neurons: 4,487
NicoleR wrote:
I have also realized that I am not a fan of Word 07. I have major issues with the "standard" layout. We are all used to 12 pt., Times New Roman, single-spaced; this has been the standard as long as I can remember. I'm having a very hard time adjusting to 11 pt., Calibri, 1.15 line spacing. I guess Microsoft is trying to modernize us, but this is a little much for me.

I totally agree. I bought a new computer recently and I couldn't believe how complicated using the new Word program seemed. Luckily, I have a Word 2000 disc in my possession. Maybe I'm being a bit of a technophobe, but I think Microsoft word processing programs may have peaked at the turn of the century.
arthbard
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 10:00:30 AM

Neurons: 189
Drew wrote:
NicoleR wrote:

I totally agree. I bought a new computer recently and I couldn't believe how complicated using the new Word program seemed. Luckily, I have a Word 2000 disc in my possession. Maybe I'm being a bit of a technophobe, but I think Microsoft word processing programs may have peaked at the turn of the century.

That doesn't necessarily make you a technophobe, Drew. It just means Microsoft did a lousy job on the latest edition of Word. I can't stand the new layout, either, and I think technology is awesome.
Betsy D.
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 11:22:28 AM

Neurons: 558
My latest PC had a free trial of Office 2007. I wasn't impressed, and promptly reinstalled Office 2003.
prolixitysquared
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 6:51:51 PM

Neurons: 3,101
NicoleR wrote:
Has anyone ever contemplated how far word processing programs have come? Even now, comparing Word 95 to Word 07, the basics are the same, but the program has evolved so much. I remember when I used to type up papers in WordPerfect. Is that program even around anymore?

I agree that Word 2007 has complicated usability for the sake of what Microsoft assumes is improved aesthetics. I learned word processing with an earlier version of Microsoft Word that was so easily accessible. I remember the 2002 or 2003 version being equally as simple to navigate. With the 2007 version though, I sometimes can't find formatting tools I need, and I have no idea where to look for them. I become so frustrated that I just switch computers and go to the old program that gives me no trouble, and I finish my work there. I think Microsoft is so set out to make things aesthetic like Macs that the developers don't spend enough time actually thinking about the importance of how everything is set up for the end-user. It's kind of a shame. I'm sure they want to be proud of the new version they offer, but most people I've talked to about this have said they prefer the old one.

The spacing also throws me off hugely. I look back through my sent box so I can double-check how my assignments will be seen by my editor. She prefers that I send assignments directly in the text of an email. Everything looked good in the past. Now my line spacing is all messed up when I look at an assignment I've pasted into my email. Sometimes the font will change (when I've pasted quotes from different places) throughout my assignment in the email even though I have it all as one particular kind of font in Word. Plus, the program is so limited in fonts. They all mostly look the same. How cheap can they be ?

In general, I am just very annoyed that this perky new program has suddenly dumbed me down.
fred
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:40:24 PM

Neurons: 4,457
My office has used Word Perfect since 1991. Some load their own Word. Before that I'm told it was Star-something program on a Wang (2) 8inch floppy drives computer. No hard drive, simply a program floppy and a data floppy.
Demonrob
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:10:36 PM

Neurons: 48
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Sad to say, I can remember a day before even Word Perfect when one had to use a typewriter with carbon paper for copies. I can't say I miss the typewriter thought I know some who do.

there used to be a "word processor" called chiwriter long time ago wnhe there were floppys and stuff like that, and believe me a typewriter was better.

it was too difficult to use that program.

cavarden
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 7:54:18 PM

Neurons: 39
While I have always had MS Word on my computer, I've also always had WordPerfect. After 1995 most people thought WordPerfect was obsolete--but it's now in version 14 (WordPerfect Office X4) and it's very modern and easy to use. In fact I prefer it to Word--by far. Word seems to assume you're stupid and does things you haven't asked it to do (like automatic bullet lists etc.) unless you disable that feature, which is hard to do. WordPerfect, instead, is clever and assumes you are clever too. And in the newer versions, it's very easy to save files in Word format so you can share them with people who don't have WP.
I have come to the conviction that WordPerfect users are some sort of cult or elite--and I'm a member, though I know very few of my fellow members.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 12:43:33 AM

Neurons: 39,962
Word is a perfect example of bloat, feature creep, and change for change's sake. Word 2003 or earlier did pretty much everything a typical user wanted it to do and then some (almost, but not quite, capable of desktop publishing). But then why would anybody buy an upgrade? Why would all those programmers and marketing people have jobs? So the forces in favor of shuffling the UI around and adding yet more infrequently useful "features" are irresistible.
fred
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:08:32 AM

Neurons: 4,457
cavarden wrote:
I have come to the conviction that WordPerfect users are some sort of cult or elite--and I'm a member, though I know very few of my fellow members.

Comrade
aribad
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:53:48 AM

Neurons: 18
[quote=NicoleR]... I remember when I used to type up papers in WordPerfect. Is that program even around anymore? . . .

Not only is it still around, it is still far superior to Word. MS Word assumes your stupid, WordPerfect assumes your smart.
Kanga85
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:56:36 AM

Neurons: 96
You need to remember that microsoft have to make money. They do this by re-jigging a program and flogging it off as something new and necessary.
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:00:36 PM

Neurons: 18,102
We have to use Corel WordPerfect at work and I HATE IT. I never did like WP and I can't say this has impressed me any; it's just not nearly as friendly for doing the mass amount of things I used to do so quickly in Word. I'm a Word gal, all the way.

That being said, Office 2007 is most definitely NOT user-friendly. I've been using Word for ages and was pretty much able to do anything in any version with little adjusting. This mess? Prolixity had it right - nothing is intuitive, functions are hiding all over the place, and it's just frustrating for your basic Word user. I wish we hadn't upgraded to 2007 at work (we do have both).
Margarita
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 6:01:51 PM

Neurons: 9
Hey! I like MS Word.. its quite easy to get around! Also, I took a course at my university that has a brief lecture on MS word, and I aced the whole assignment afterwards!
tshort
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 4:15:42 AM

Neurons: 3
I'm proud of you!! I have a hard time just getting it to print the exact way that I type it out. How easy should that be?!?!
bugdoctor
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 8:56:11 PM

Neurons: 5,456
I've never been a fan of Word in any of its incarnations. But I suppose we tend to 'like' that with which we are most familiar, and I've been using Word Perfect since its DOS days. One of the things I still can't do in Word is to place an image on a page exactly where I want. When I import an image file, it's always locked where it first appears. In Word Perfect, you simply click on it and drag it to any spot on the page.

JPK
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:43:08 AM

Neurons: 1,998
I know this is an old topic, but I preferred to bring it back up instead of creating a new one.

I am so glad I am not the only one who hates Word 07! I feel it has been made for complete idiots who rely on icons to know what a button does. It's nice to think about the illiterate and all, but why would they even use a word processor?

I find it frustrating that they decided to change a layout that had stayed the same since the dawn of time. And I am relieved that my workplace has decided not to "upgrade" to Word 07 on the account that it is too complicated (or so I heard). I would spend my entire days trying to figure out how to do simple tasks for me and my colleagues, and our tech support's phone line would probably burst in flames.

I hope someone slaps some sense into Microsoft so their next Word goes back to the basics!
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:17:07 AM

Neurons: 166,596
JPK wrote:

I hope someone slaps some sense into Microsoft so their next Word goes back to the basics!

You know that is unlikely to happen, it's a new version of the old joke about the phone company, "We don't care! We don't have to. We're MICROSOFT!"
It sounds like your chained to MS's OS and software, that's really too bad, I sincerely empathize with you. Microsoft pissed me off so bad, I switched to Linux, and Open Office, and I'm never going back. I have yet to have any problem importing MSO files into OO, and there is not a single feature that I haven't found in OO.
Good Luck
peterhewett
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 10:36:48 AM

Neurons: 3,698
Margarita Posted:

Hey! I like MS Word.. its quite easy to get around! Also, I took a course at my university that has a brief lecture on MS word, and I aced the whole assignment afterwards!

peter responded I think Word 07 is very good and so easy to use... not at all complicated. I prefer it to 03 but each to his own. Thats what is great about the freedom to choose.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 6:31:25 AM

Neurons: 6,180
I quite like Word 07, after changing the styles and fonts back to Times New Roman, 12, and no spacing, I think I prefer it over earlier versions.
Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 10:12:00 AM

Neurons: 39,962
bugdoctor wrote:
I've never been a fan of Word in any of its incarnations. But I suppose we tend to 'like' that with which we are most familiar, and I've been using Word Perfect since its DOS days. One of the things I still can't do in Word is to place an image on a page exactly where I want. When I import an image file, it's always locked where it first appears. In Word Perfect, you simply click on it and drag it to any spot on the page.

Yeah, image positioning (and anchors in general) are pretty sketchy in MS Word. If I were a suspicious type, I might think they were attempting to preserve MS Publisher by not making Word too functional in desktop publishing.
nooblet
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 8:07:15 PM

Neurons: 4,778
Epiphileon wrote:
It sounds like your chained to MS's OS and software, that's really too bad, I sincerely empathize with you. Microsoft pissed me off so bad, I switched to Linux, and Open Office, and I'm never going back. I have yet to have any problem importing MSO files into OO, and there is not a single feature that I haven't found in OO.
Good Luck

Unless OpenOffice.org has been changed in the past few months, it doesn't support Excel macros properly. It is capable of its own macros and equations, but if you try to load in complexly related tables, it typically will load the file, but it will not function correctly. The only documents I can think of off the top of my head as an example would be any Excel version of the HeroForge (D&D) character sheet, as well as some of the more complex equipment/dps calculator spreadsheets for World of Warcraft.

But yes, other than Excel, OO.o seems to work flawlessly, it's faster, and it's free. It also has a Windows binary with no fuss for the average computer user. If you want to check it out and are not running Linux with a package manager, be sure you go to http://openoffice.org to see your options to download it. There are a LOT of sites online that will try to charge you up to around $200 to download free software. While it's a scam, you can't get your money back because they are charging you for the service of letting you download the software, they are not selling you the software because they don't own it. Just know that if a site is requesting you to pay money to download OpenOffice.org, they are ripping you off because it is free.

As for my response to the opening post, I remember when my mom used a typewriter when I was a child. When we moved to California, she ended up getting a word processor, a very simplistic computer (with monitor and keyboard built in) that didn't have a traditional OS. When you turned the word processor on, it would prompt you if you wanted to load a file (which you had to load from a floppy disk), or create a new one (which you would have to save to a floppy disk). There was no mouse, but it worked very similarly to the vi text editor, except it was not nearly as powerful and had less features. So I would say that word processors have come a very long way.

Also, I seem to recall someone wondering if it's possible to save a .doc file as a .pdf. Yes, it is possible, but you need to install special software to allow you to print files to a .pdf file. The utility I used for a long time was called PDF995, which was free (I'm not sure if it is still around), but popped up an advertisement window to purchase the professional version each time you printed to a .pdf file.
delidog28
Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2009 10:46:04 AM

Neurons: 51
NicoleR wrote:

I so agree. My family uses '04 still!
bugdoctor
Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2009 12:34:29 PM

Neurons: 5,456
delidog28 wrote:
NicoleR wrote:

I so agree. My family uses '04 still!

Word Perfect is still around and I much prefer it.
rahul
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:12:52 PM

Neurons: 105
all the old software are around and can be downloaded from the net.
AnthA1G
Posted: Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:20:50 PM

Neurons: 3,432
I see people love MS because they are used to it, but have you tried Open Office? It's basically the same thing, quite simpler. And best of all it's free to download.
JPK
Posted: Friday, July 9, 2010 3:16:18 PM

Neurons: 1,998
While I was away from the gorgeous lands of Freedelfia, my Windows laptop died of what I suspect is a virus. I tried to salvage it and it can still be accessed, but I decided to get a new laptop and, after hearing a lot of people say that Mac is a lot better, I decided to give it a try and see for myself.

Maybe I am still in the honeymoon stage of my relationship with my new MacBook Pro, but I am loving every minute of it. Open Office is so much easier to handle! It took some time to get used to the new environments, but it is not THAT different.

So if you are considering moving to Mac and have the money, I would humbly advocate towards it. You can even install Windows on your Mac for the softwares that don't have a Mac equivalent. I didn't know this fact and probably would have made the jump sooner if I had known. I was a little worried about having to learn completely new things, but really, it isn't that bad :)