Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

pertinacious Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,602
pertinacious

(adjective) Stubbornly unyielding.

Synonyms: dogged, dour, tenacious, persistent

Usage: When he made up his little mind to have or to do anything, all the king's horses and all the king's men could not change that pertinacious little mind.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:25:23 AM

Neurons: 8,606
"Tenacious" is a very close, but not quite identical synonym of "pertinacious." One who is "tenacious" stubbornly holds on to anything. One who is "pertinacious" stubbornly holds on to ideas, opinions, beliefs or courses of action.
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:56:05 AM

Neurons: 3,404
I am not sure you are right MTC when you narrowly apply the word tenacious. You said: One who is "tenacious" stubbornly holds on to anything

But consider: One can be tenacious in a certain aspect of one's life or over a certain issue, and yet give way gracefully on other matters. One may feel strongly on a matter and tenaciously take issue over it but that does not make that person tenacious per se does it.

It is like saying that because one does a foolish act then he is a fool. That does not follow for we all at some time do foolish things. Applying your logic would mean we are all fools. One should not apply an everlasting label to a person on the basis of one course of action.

per•ti•na•cious adj.

1. Holding tenaciously to a purpose, belief, opinion, or course of action.
2. Stubbornly or perversely persistent. See Synonyms at obstinate

Adj. 1. pertinacious - stubbornly unyielding; "dogged persistence"; "dour determination"; "the most vocal and pertinacious of all the critics"; "a mind not gifted to discover truth but tenacious to hold it"- T.S.Eliot; "men tenacious of opinion"
dogged, dour, unyielding, tenacious, persistent
obstinate, stubborn, unregenerate - tenaciously unwilling or marked by tenacious unwillingness to yield

te•na•cious (t -n sh s)
adj.
1. Holding or tending to hold persistently to something, such as a point of view.
2. Holding together firmly; cohesive: a tenacious material.
3. Clinging to another object or surface; adhesive: tenacious lint.
4. Tending to retain; retentive: a tenacious memory.
MTC
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:30:59 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Percival,

Let me clarify what I wrote which as I read it again could easily be misinterpreted.

When I said "holds on to anything," I meant that one could be tenacious about many things, including objects and surfaces (see sense 3,) while one could be pertinacious mainly about ideas, opinions, beliefs or courses of action. It's the things that one can be tenacious or pertinacious about that separates the meanings of the words. Pertinacious has a narrower focus.

As for fools, I think Shakespeare got it right through one of his characters, Puck, when he said, "Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
A Midsummer Nights Dream Act 3, scene 2, 110–115

DarkMoon
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:55:45 PM

Neurons: 46,684
Daemon wrote:
pertinacious

(adjective) Stubbornly unyielding.

Oddly enough, but when I read the OP, the first words, which came to my mind were: pertinent, and impertinent. To me, they sound slightly similar, though the meaning is different (had to look them up).

Usage: If I am certain that the matter is pertinent to the subject, I cease to be pertinacious. In case, if one's point is impertinent, I'm perversely persistent to end a debate.

Quote:
Usage: When he made up his little mind to have or to do anything, all the king's horses and all the king's men could not change that pertinacious little mind.

(edit) That's interesting, but the sample of usage made me think of this nursery rhyme:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again
percivalpecksniff
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:19:44 PM

Neurons: 3,404
Take your point MTC but still think the words crossover... never mind.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 8:51:47 PM

Neurons: 582,274
Mettlesome Jyrkkä Jätkä?