mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A shadow seemed to flit across his face... ? Options
WG7
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:47:20 PM

Neurons: 18
What does a shadow seemed to flit across his face mean?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:55:08 PM

Neurons: 227,927
Hi!

It depends on the rest of the story - I'm guessing it means something like 'a brief flicker of emotion showed in his expression'. Since it is a 'shadow' it would be a 'dark' emotion such as fear or sadness. Boo hoo!
Shivanand
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:33:24 PM

Neurons: 229,316
@WG7, it is hard to clearly say what it means, unless the context is known. I agree with Drag0nspeaker on the guess about the emotional part. However, it may literally mean what it means in some other context!

Cheers!!
Clement
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:26:52 AM

Neurons: 264
You can take this literally: that his face got momentarily darkened by a flash of shadow...

or figuratively: he is overcome with emotion briefly, as has already been suggested.

Like in algebra, there are few variables amiss...
Julya
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:29:06 AM

Neurons: 1,988
Maybe it is shade of doubt, shade of sorrow?
WG7
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 8:46:51 AM

Neurons: 18
In light of what you guys said, I decided to find a couple examples. Hopefully, there is enough context.

“Ysette - that’s Carnen’s housekeeper - came to the Tower as soon as she discovered the body.” He shrugged. “I took charge until the Militia arrived.”

I pushed a hank of hair back from my face. “I don’t understand. Zarna’s Carnen’s heir, isn’t she? Why wasn’t she summoned?”

He gave another shrug. “I suppose Ysette came to me because I am – was” – a shadow seemed to flit across his face – “one of Carnen’s closest friends. And then I didn’t think bringing Zarna was a very good idea. It was obvious she’d be suspected.”

Before he could put much distance between them, Arya sprang after him, taking two flying steps, her hair streaming behind her. Eragon swung at her while she was still airborne, but she turned so that his sword passed along the length of her body, without touching it. Then she slipped the edge of her shield underneath his and yanked it away, leaving his chest completely exposed. Fast as could be, she brought her sword up and again pressed it against his neck, this time underneath his chin.

She held him in that position, her large, wide-set eyes only inches away from his. There was a ferocity and intentness to her expression that he was uncertain how to interpret, but it gave him pause.

A shadow seemed to flit across Arya’s face then, and she lowered her sword and stepped away.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:10:38 AM

Neurons: 227,927
Thanks - that's clearer.

In the first one:
'He' (unnamed) is suddenly reminded (by having to use 'was' instead of 'is') that his closest friend has just been murdered - he showed a brief hint of his grief. Boo hoo!

In the second one there are two possibilities I can think of:
1. Arya was caught up in the 'fighting spirit', and suddenly realised that she might have killed Eragon in her enthusiasm. Or:
2. Arya has a brief memory or premonition (I'm not sure of the sequence of the story just now) of the way Eragon was similarly disarmed in the fight with his brother, and could have been killed.

It could even be both - Paolini is an excellent author, and could well have combined these two uses in the one phrase.