mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year Options
thar
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:35:40 AM

Neurons: 96,171
I know it is very early but I may be away from computers till the new year, and I wanted to wish all you guys a merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thankyou for being interested and interesting, intelligent and wise, and most of all good fun. Applause

But everywhere has had a tough year, so I have posted this song as my greeting card. Every year there is a satirical comedy show in Iceland, this is from last year, but we had our financial meltdown before most people, so I think it fits now.

There is a 30 second lead from the comedy sketch to set the scene for the song, and it is subtitled but please don’t let that put you off –turn up the volume and groove!

It is a satire about Iceland, but if you ignore that part, the underlying sentiment is the same for all countries, all communities. So whether your troubles are politics, economics, disaster or violence, I wish you a year of cooperation, compassion, coexistence, …co-anything!

http://youtu.be/m9vRSEllE_o

Ha, all that earnestness was exhausting, can I go back to being cool, now? Whistle
Merry Christmas, or whatever else you may have.Angel and a HAPPY NEW YEAR Dancing
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:55:23 AM

Neurons: 4,678
Thar--wherever you are going, whatever you will be doing-- Merry Christmas, Happy Hanuka etc., to you too.:) Come back soon. Marissa.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:06:50 AM

Neurons: 235,676
Thanks thar - have a great New year.

The song was very ... topical! Love the sentiments in it.

A bit of Sunshine!
Hope1
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:12:24 AM

Neurons: 3,352
Thank you, Thar. Enjoy your holidays. But come back as we will miss you while you are away.
Klaas V
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:15:12 AM

Neurons: 4,802
Thank you, thar. Now we know that Iceland has a lot more to offer than the singer many of us may know: Björk Guðmundsdóttir.

And of course HLJÓÐA NÓTT

I wish each and every one of you what you wish me for the coming Holidays and all there after.

My favorite modern XMas Carol is Little Drummer Boy

GabhSigenod
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:27:19 AM

Neurons: 149,736
All presentations are enjoyable. Thank you all.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:57:05 AM

Neurons: 612,424
Friðsælt Jól og skemmtilegt komandi ár!
Aid-e
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:28:05 AM

Neurons: 1,797
Well thar, It seems you read my mind. Thank you for your answers. Happy holidays (felices fiestas) !! See you, and see you all next year. xxoo
ellana
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:32:46 PM

Neurons: 127,363
... and a happy festive season to all. Bring back your thinking hats in the New Year so that we can COllectively tackle and sometimes solve more than grammar and language dilemmas.

And don't forget the mandatory 2012 resolution....
Margarit Bamllari
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:42:05 PM

Neurons: 780
HAPPY HOLIDAYS THAR.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR GREAT CONTRIBUTION.
shelf
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:09:38 PM

Neurons: 555
Thank you to Thar and all the other contributors, new and advanced.
I'd like to thank you for being here so often and teaching me so much.
And, also, for the many, many laughs.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
And thanks to TFD for my present - I've moved from Newbie to Member!!!
boneyfriend
Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:12:11 PM

Neurons: 10,546
Congratulations shelf. A job well done. Thar, thanks for creating this thread. I loved the song, the girl, and the English scrolling across the bottom of the screen. Kolli, I also love your new signature. Happy New Year to all of you. New beginnings. This past year hasn't been so hot for me so I'm rearing to make 2012 better. The best to all of you.
Gunjika
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 7:02:13 AM

Neurons: 1,127
Thanks Thar, I was looking for a thread to wish you all. A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. :)
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 8:33:50 AM

Neurons: 4,678
Thank you friends and teachers. Merry Christmas to all, and bright blessings everyone. Love and Spirit Light, Marissa.
MTC
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 8:49:41 AM

Neurons: 8,606
I'll chime in too with a Merry Christmas to all. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something on this site, thanks to the many intelligent and thoughtful posts. It's extraordinary that people from around the world can meet and exchange ideas and feelings in a cyber town hall. Too bad I'll miss thar's contribution. It's blocked by the Great Firewall of China. Regardless, best wishes to one and all in the coming year.
blue2
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 6:39:01 PM

Neurons: 23,044
I haven't had much time for TFD lately, but I thought I'd send along Christmas wishes - or simply Happy Holiday wishes to everybody here. Enjoy the season. Be happy, healthy and safe.
jeans&sneakers
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 1:12:12 AM

Neurons: 8,472

Have a happy Christmas and merry New Year all of you awesome people of TFD :)
IMcRout
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:04:24 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you here who celebrate these occasions.

My best wishes and greetings to all those at TFD who do not.
Briton
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 12:59:52 PM

Neurons: 16,440
Have a very Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it, as I do, and a happy and healthy 2012.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 5:53:33 AM

Neurons: 235,676
Hello Mannita!

Welcome to the madhouse Forum.
I hope you had a great Christmas and that the year is even better.
tootsie
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:57:56 AM

Neurons: 23,730

Happy New Year thar and all TFD followers - here's hoping 2012 will be a good year for us all.

thar
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:38:15 AM

Hi guys. Hope everyone had a good break and is back healthy and happy for a new year. Days are getting longer ( er, sorry, antarcticans, bummer!)

thanks for all the good wishes, spreadin' the love!

and a special shout out for the Mayan!

[image not available]
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2012 10:53:14 PM

Neurons: 32,652
My goodness, I seem to have been the only regular to have missed this thread ( did my tense integrity hold up there ? ). Apologia. May this year bring to all of you health, joy and peace. Except them stinkin' Mayans. Bloody troublemakers...
Romany
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 11:43:13 PM

Neurons: 59,681
Ex - not quite!

I also missed out on extending seasonal greeting to everyone. This Xmas was the first in many years that our tiny little family managed to celebrate together - though only briefly. Xmas/New Year is a bit of a non-event in most places in China:- it is the forthcoming New Year on January 22 that people focus upon. And as the upcoming year is the Year of the Dragon its a biggie. (In fact the large majority of women at work, married and unmarried as yet, are suddenly coming in to work wearing the ubiquitous pink smock which is supposed to protect unborn babies from deadly PCs! Its going to be a great year for Red Envelopes.)

So, all the best to TFDers wherever you are - not only for the coming year but for always.

Rom.

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 12:00:50 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Saving unborn babies from Political Correctness Romany, or did I missinterpret something again?

I went to bed early on New Years Eve, so 2011 was over as soon as possible,what a rotter of a year!

All the best for 2012 to all TDF members.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 2:36:20 AM

Well no, Tov, that wasn't quite what I meant...but its a bloody marvelous idea!.

I was referring to the belief here that deadly rays from a person's computer will cause spontaneous abortion or hideously deforming birth defects. So some bright-spark entrepreneur got into the act by producing 'Safety' smocks which are supposed to protect one. As these are made of cotton it is difficult to see exactly how the magical component of deadly ray protection comes into it, though! For some reason, all these 'protectors' are a sort of maroony-pink colour (hideous, to my eyes), with a little ruffle round the bottom. They go off and buy them the instant they find out they're pregnant, long before they start to grow a bump.

I once went on a week-long research adventure for a colleague who was pregnant and presented her with all the scientific reasons for her not to have such worries. However she (and - more importantly I expect - her mum), remained unimpressed and she continued to wear her pink smock. I've since realised that, in a country where having a baby is considered every single person's sole purpose in life, the donning of this garment is more about showing everyone that you are fulfilling your destiny.

Six years ago it used to be a perfectly frightful rig, also maroon, that was kind of like a pair of dungarees, which everyone leapt into just about from the minute of conception. Thank goodness Fashion finally triumphed over that one!

Its also considered harmful to the baby to bathe or wash one's hair in the last month of pregnancy. As is reading or watching television!
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:12:30 PM

@ Romany : I'm very pleased that you were able to get together with your family tiny or otherwise ( Oh dear, should I not have posted the Billy Connolly dwarf joke ?). These pregnancy garments sound hideous - can't destiny be satisfied with something by Dior, perhaps ? Mind you, with all that lead paint we hear coats everything Chinese (!!) you'd think they'd feel pretty safe... ( ' dungaree ' is a Hindi word, by the way - I just had to look it up )

@ Tov : Sorry you had a bad year - mine wasn't great either. Onward and upward, though ! Mine's started out much better, and I hope yours does too - is your poor hurt horse back to normal ? I do think about her.
tootsie
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:39:00 PM

Neurons: 23,730
me too (isn't she Lucy)

hope the new year for you both is a good one. My last year was troublesome too but we have hope, don't we.

All the best of wishes to our TFD peeps.

T x.

Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:12:01 PM

Thank you for caring about our Lucy, she has become very bossy, I think she is an Equine Snob, her breeding of course.

A new race horse came to the stables on Christmas Eve, the other horses are such sticky beaks, but Lucy's main accessment, seemed to be

"Drat another gelding".

She is moving so well it is really astounding, that her paces do not seem affected in any way, which of course they must be, but she is mobile enough to show off, dear little girl, she is the stable mascot now.

Back to the protective smocks, what are they made from? Lead?

Surely not those lead garments the radiologists wear in X-Ray, when they are nukeing you with the MRIs,CT scans and the irrideated dyes????

That would get tedious after 9 months!
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:50:47 AM

Great horse news, and you sound in better spirits too, Tov !
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:55:41 AM

[quote=thar] I know it is very early but I may be away from computers till the new year, and I wanted to wish all you guys a merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thankyou for being interested and interesting, intelligent and wise, and most of all good fun. Applause

But everywhere has had a tough year, so I have posted this song as my greeting card. Every year there is a satirical comedy show in Iceland, this is from last year, but we had our financial meltdown before most people, so I think it fits now.

There is a 30 second lead from the comedy sketch to set the scene for the song, and it is subtitled but please don’t let that put you off –turn up the volume and groove!

It is a satire about Iceland, but if you ignore that part, the underlying sentiment is the same for all countries, all communities. So whether your troubles are politics, economics, disaster or violence, I wish you a year of cooperation, compassion, coexistence, …co-anything!

http://youtu.be/m9vRSEllE_o

Ha, all that earnestness was exhausting, can I go back to being cool, now? Whistle
Merry Christmas, or whatever else you may have.Angel and a HAPPY NEW YEAR Dancing

Back to being cool ? Happy Days called, they want their closing credits back...Dancing
thar
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:12:49 PM

excaelis wrote:

Back to being cool ? Happy Days called, they want their closing credits back...Dancing

what, I only get to be Fonzie cool, in where, Indiana? I want to be Jack Lord cool in Hawaii!

[image not available]

OK, maybe I don't quite pull off cool!
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:26:21 PM

testing
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 4:21:51 AM

Testing again, sorry I am still having problems with my new laptop.
Romany
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 7:20:25 AM

Tov - Yeah, that WOULD be impractical, but at least you could see the reason behind it. But no, these are just cotton - the reverse side of which is darker than the outside one. Perhaps that's the side that contains the Deadly Ray Fighting bit?

Curses! Another discovery that could save the world... and it's being hoarded by pregnant Chinese women!

I hasten to add that this might just be in the city I live in. It certainly doesn't pertain in Shanghai or Beijing nor anywhere else I've been.