mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
US Declares War in Iraq Officially Over Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 96,378
US Declares War in Iraq Officially Over

Yesterday, after nearly nine years of war, the US military officially declared an end to its mission in Iraq. The occasion was marked by a brief, low-key flag-lowering ceremony in a fortified compound at Baghdad airport. More than one million Americans served in Iraq during the course of the conflict. At the height of the war, 170,000 American soldiers were stationed at more than 500 military installations across the country. Today, just 4,000 troops remain on two US bases there, and they are scheduled to return home by the end of the year. More...
MTC
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 4:44:49 AM

Neurons: 8,606
Speaking as a veteran and as a lawyer who has represented veterans, I am hugely relieved this completely misguided war is over . What a cost to pay for one man's folly. And it appears the American public may be ready for another military adventure in Iran, at least if a flag-waving Republican is elected President.
excaelis
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 10:35:50 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm not convinced it's over for the poor Iraqis, any more than it is for the families of those killed or traumatised there. I'm bloody sick of old men in suits sending other people's children out to die in vainglorious money-driven conflicts. There's no such thing as a winnable war. Good thoughts and lots of light to all who suffer.
kitten
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:22:23 PM

Neurons: 7,420
excaelis wrote:
I'm not convinced it's over for the poor Iraqis, any more than it is for the families of those killed or traumatised there. I'm bloody sick of old men in suits sending other people's children out to die in vainglorious money-driven conflicts. There's no such thing as a winnable war. Good thoughts and lots of light to all who suffer.

Double Amen--Old men in suits need to go out and fight these wars.Shhh Silenced Whistle

Watched a programme on the "Christmas Day Peace" that took place in 1914 in 'no man's land,' those who were in the upper command did not, repeat, did not want the British and German soldiers singing Christmas Carols together. It was on the History Channel and will be repeated. Amazing what those "old men" decided to do.d'oh!

peace out. >^,,^<
HWNN1961
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:40:49 PM

Neurons: 9,763
excaelis wrote:

For the USA:

I thank the Risen Christ that this misbegotten fiasco is finally over.

For Iraq:

It isn't over. As Ex has said. I've said over, and over to those patient enough to pretend to listen that if a people...any people, are determined to have a civil war, they will have it.

The USA left after 9 years. The war will start anew.

Conservatives in my country will exclaim "aha...we told you so...why did you "lose" Iraq".

The reality is that we could stay for 50 years, or 100 years and the civil war would commence in the 51st or the 101st year. If a people wish to self-immolate, they will.

I note with some concern that the Shi'ite President of Iraq has announced the arrest warrant for the Sunni V.P. of Iraq. He is beyond reach, in the Kurdish portion of northern Iraq...they have their own military organization up there.

Sit back, and wait for the fireworks all.