mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
He is not much of a party bird. Options
merve
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 1:00:41 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 8/4/2010
Posts: 71
Neurons: 209
Location: Istanbul
Hi all,
"He is not much of a party bird." Is this sentence too informal?
Can I use it in every context?
Can I use this structure in affirmative?
"He is much of a party bird?"
I made some sentences in this structure. Are they correct?
It is not much of a promise.
Don't trust him. He is not much of a man who keeps his promises.
She is not much of a friendly type.
They weren't much of welcoming.
Thank you


Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:47:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 46,117
Neurons: 656,064
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Does not sound like English to my ears.

"He's not the kind of a man who keeps his promises"
"He is not a great party bird"
"She is not particularly friendly"
NancyLee
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:54:08 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/1/2011
Posts: 262
Neurons: 287,260
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
merve wrote:
Hi all,

"He is not much of a party bird." Is this sentence too informal? Very informal - but amusing
Can I use it in every context? No

Can I use this structure in affirmative? No, I wouldn't.
"He is much of a party bird?" Sounds like a foreign speaker. Leave out 'much of'

I made some sentences in this structure. Are they correct?
It is not much of a promise. This is OK - still has amusing touch.

Don't trust him. He is not much of a man who keeps his promises.Foreign speaker..He doesn't keep his promises much. Very informal!

She is not much of a friendly type. OK, still has amusing touch. She isn't a very friendly type. (She isn't friendly, much. VERY INFORMAL )
They weren't much of welcoming. Foreign speaker..They weren't very welcoming. (They weren't welcoming, much. VERY INFORMAL)

Speech or quotes in fiction...only

Can't tell you exactly why because I am a "sounds right" helper and I hope this is helpful!

Best, NancyLee


EDIT: The 'amusing' I refer to really has a touch of sarcasm to it. Putting "much" at the end of the phrase adds a somewhat sarcastic tone.







Julya
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 3:55:45 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/19/2011
Posts: 925
Neurons: 1,988
I agree with JJ. All that you wrote seems strange to me.
Hope1
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 4:52:11 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/31/2011
Posts: 1,162
Neurons: 3,352
You are dealing with an idiom. Native Canadian speakers might use it, informally, in the negative, in certain contexts. i.e. It wasn't much of a party. However, until you are comfortable enough to know when to use it, it is probably best to stick to JJ's ideas instead. Some of your sentences would be fine, others not.

We would not use it in formal writing, unless quoting speech.

It means the party could have been better.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 5:55:50 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 46,117
Neurons: 656,064
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Hope1 wrote:
You are dealing with an idiom. Native Canadian speakers might use it, informally, in the negative, in certain contexts. i.e. It wasn't much of a party. However, until you are comfortable enough to know when to use it, it is probably best to stick to JJ's ideas instead. Some of your sentences would be fine, others not.

We would not use it in formal writing, unless quoting speech.

It means the party could have been better.


"My ideas were not much of mentioning."
Is that some context worth of using that phrase?
jmacann
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:27:06 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/20/2011
Posts: 1,296
Neurons: 3,887
Location: Spain
Right -not quite to the point, as those really do not add much.
beacon1946
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:28:00 PM
Rank: Member

Joined: 9/4/2009
Posts: 40
Neurons: 126
As Hope1 says, you have to be careful in using this expression. It is quite frequently used informally in the UK. The expression "not much of a" generally means that someone or something is not very good. So if you can substitute "not a very good" for "not much of a", then it is probably OK,

For example:

He is not a very good singer/dancer/golfer: He is not much of a singer/dancer/golfer.
He is not a very good engineer/teacher: He is not much of a(n) engineer/teacher.
That's not a very good discount: That's not much of a discount.
It wasn't a very good story: It wasn't much of a story.

The affirmative is never used.
Hope1
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 7:47:37 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/31/2011
Posts: 1,162
Neurons: 3,352
JJ wrote

"My ideas were not much of mentioning."
Is that some context worth of using that phrase?

The phrase is 'not much of A'.

Therefore your sentence would be either " My ideas were not worth mentioning" or ' My ideas were not much of a help" or
" It wasn't much of an idea".

As beacon says, in the places where I used it, I can substitute 'not a very good' for the phrase in discussion.

Also, your question would be" May I use this phrase in this context?"
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:04:43 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 46,117
Neurons: 656,064
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Take your time, Hope1.
Hope1
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 8:19:09 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/31/2011
Posts: 1,162
Neurons: 3,352
Quote

Take your time, Hope1.


Hi JJ.,

I get it now (I think.) You were saying that YOUR phrases were not worth mentioning. ? (If so, may I disagree?)

Obviously, I am having trouble understanding what you were saying and asking.
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:07:45 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,589
Neurons: 31,166
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:


"My ideas were not much of mentioning."
Is that some context worth of using that phrase?


I'll jump in, if you don't mind.

That's not how the idiom works. It needs to invoke a comparison with a particular ideal thing that has the potential to be rated or evaluated.

For example, "My ideas were not much of a mentioning" [using "mentioning" as a gerund] is the proper pattern, but really odd and not natural for other reasons. There is little reason to consider "a mentioning" on a scale from 1 to 10.

OTOH, "My ideas were not much of a thesis" might well be heard during moments of unguarded candor. Whistle
Hope1
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:11:11 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/31/2011
Posts: 1,162
Neurons: 3,352
Thanks, Leon.
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 11:04:14 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/30/2010
Posts: 10,965
Neurons: 32,652
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The opposite of ' not much of a party bird ' would be ' a major party animal '. Apparently you can be a bird and an animal at the same time.
leonAzul
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:00:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/11/2011
Posts: 8,589
Neurons: 31,166
Location: Miami, Florida, United States
excaelis wrote:
The opposite of ' not much of a party bird ' would be ' a major party animal '. Apparently you can be a bird and an animal at the same time.


Not knowing the characteristics of an ideal "party bird", I'm all at sea with this one. Whistle

However, considering the colloquialisms of which I am aware, it comes as something of a revelation that a party "bird" could ever be a "he". Dancing
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 4:07:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 35,590
Neurons: 248,054
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
leonAzul wrote:
Quote:
However, considering the colloquialisms of which I am aware, it comes as something of a revelation that a party "bird" could ever be a "he".


I feel that way too - however, it seems that 'bird' = 'young woman' is only British slang. The American dictionary gives slang 'bird' = 'unusual or odd character' - which would fit. I don't know any odd characters... Liar
merve
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2011 5:24:22 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 8/4/2010
Posts: 71
Neurons: 209
Location: Istanbul
Thank you all for your repilies. They weren't just informative but very fun to read at the same time.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.