mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Meditation and health Options
intelfam
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 6:56:09 AM

Neurons: 3,284
Seems a lot of stuff in the journals about research into meditation and, more particularly, its use in specific illnesses/conditions (rather than the "older" stuff around relaxation etc.) I took up mindfulness meditation some months ago (to help me keep my head together while trying to reduce my oxycodone intake) and have just got a set of CDs to help me apply this to pain management.

Wondered if anybody has used meditation for health, particularly if it has been at the recommendation of a physician and for a particular condition, physical or mental - rather than general well-being?

Christine
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 7:40:40 AM

Neurons: 15,842
I use prayers for health. I think prayers are sort of meditation.

I often use prayers to relief my headaches and my stress. I often use positive thinking for the same. Words are very powerful. Positive thinking and prayers can change your brain's chemicals for the good.

Proverbs 18:21

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits.

Proverbs 16:24

Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.

Proverbs 15:4

A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.

GabhSigenod
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 7:45:58 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Physical and mental activity, fitness, and general well-being should be pursued by all, but not to the exclusion of sound medical science.
jmacann
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 1:16:37 PM

Neurons: 3,887
True. Will an apple a day keep the doctor away? Not enough, I am afraid.
---

"Orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano" (Juvenal) has been taken out of context. It translates as "You should pray for a healthy mind in a healthy body."

Human intelligence is puzzling.

A balanced meaning would be 'You should strive for both a healthy mind and a healthy body' -but it could also mean 'It's no use to have a healthy body if your mind is not healthy'.
ellana
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 3:26:30 PM

Neurons: 127,363
GabhSigenod provides sound advice. Pain medication has addictive properties and it becomes difficult for many pain sufferers to discern between pain and need. (generic comment) Non pharmaceutical alternatives have a place in attaining enhanced wellbeing but require 'quality', caring medical support, personal commitment, and a will to tackle significant issues. Pain is subjective so the 'owner' has the burden of proof. A true medical and individual dilemma!!
SisterTarantula
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 4:35:23 PM

Neurons: 30
In my daily meditation ritual I include the following Attitudes:

Four attitudes

Maitri --
Meditation on friendliness, love, and kindness, as if those feelings are directed towards people who are also happy or joyful. (This and the next three are 4 attitudes for meditation.)

Karuna --
Meditation on compassion and mercy, as if towards those who are suffering, or are experiencing pain or sorrow.

Mudita --
Meditation on gladness, happiness, or delight, as if towards those who are virtuous, generous, or benevolent.

Upeksa --
Meditation on equanimity, or a positive disregard or indifference, as if in relation to feelings towards those who are doing acts of evil, vice, or ill will.

I pause during Upeksa and ponder:

Who amongst us possesses the chaste hand, from birth, worthy of casting the first stone?

I conclude: [Only] God “can neither deceive nor be deceived” (Dei Filius 3, CCC 156).

Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 4:46:13 PM

Neurons: 166,581
Sorry that I can not say much about this yet Intel; however, this is one of the areas that I think will benefit vastly from an increased understanding of consciousness. I see absolutely no reason not to pursue your current endeavor with diligence.
asornunez
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 9:09:31 PM

Neurons: 21
I would like to recomend the book of Deepack Chopra writen in 1989: "QUANTUM HEALING"...Chopra is an endocrinologist and he has got a lot of experience helping very sick people...His book speaks about Meditation and another techniques for getting a better health and take care of ourselves.
intelfam
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:24:52 PM

Neurons: 3,284

Thank you all for your input and recommendations. I am currently using the work of Dr Kabat Zinn who started the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Clinic at Massachusetts Hospital. He ran (runs) the course over 8 weeks of an afternoon per week. I came across him through reading his book Full Catastrophe Living which read well - but me, being me, researched him and his ideas in the peer reviewed medical journals. I have recently bought his CD set on mindfulness and pain relief. I find it a fascinating idea. He has divorced its medical use from its Buddhist roots in order to get acceptance in the medical world but when one listens to his recordings he is clearly introducing some very clear links. There have been some interesting fMRI studies which appear to show that mindfulness meditation uses neural plasticity or should I say causes structural changes in parts of the brain.
Christine
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:23:16 AM

Neurons: 15,842
Try Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy
http://www.doctoroz.com/media/print/10920
librares
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:54:38 AM

Neurons: 6
Meditation can be used to clear ones mind and to achieve a feeling of formless emptiness. During most of our waking state, we tend to be bombarded by random and incessant thoughts from an insatiable ego.
dwayne1212
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 8:38:10 AM

Neurons: 6
I practice yoga for my well-being. It keeps my mind calm and at peace. You should also try it once.