mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Character is not cut in marble—it is not something solid and unalterable. It is something living and changing, and may become... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 104,379
Character is not cut in marble—it is not something solid and unalterable. It is something living and changing, and may become diseased as our bodies do.

George Eliot (1819-1880)
pRiNCeSsa
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:20:13 AM

Neurons: 42
iT maY n0t be eNtiReLy uNaLteRabLe, but iT defiNiteLy iS the haRdeSt t0 chaNge...
GabhSigenod
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:44:10 AM

Neurons: 149,736
Attributes of a person may change with time.
floyd
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:36:33 PM

Neurons: 411
Friends --

In the face of the bombardment of "news" we face, it's hard even to remember what character is. Anxious

For our own good, it's probably worth explaining to a child every now and then.

And who in the world in public life do you think of? I think of my friend who is a federal appellate judge, long-time worker for the rights of others, and a very honest man. I know him and his family well enough to know he has a fine character. Don't we all know people we feel that way about?

With folks like Joe Paterno in the "news", it's easy to be cynical. It may even look like the people who aren't cynical are just naive. I'm not buying that!

Keep the faith!

floyd
jmacann
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:05:22 PM

Neurons: 3,887
Character not only helps move into and through circumstance, but also affects what people come away with in life as well.
iemmadi
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 5:15:33 PM

Neurons: 84
So practice healthy habits to keep our character healthy. And ofcourse we may have medicine when it becomes diseased :)
kitten
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:35:33 PM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
Character is not cut in marble—it is not something solid and unalterable. It is something living and changing, and may become diseased as our bodies do.

George Eliot (1819-1880)

The quote in context is taken from chapter 72 of, Middlemarch--1871. The chapter is in Book Eight entitled, Sunrise and Sunset.

Although based on the city of Coventry, the novel, Middlemarch, is a fictional provincial town set in the 1830's. It is considered, by scholars, to be the greatest work of the Victorian period. It is also believed to be, George Eliot's, greatest piece or work. Each chapter starts with a ??? Think quotation or thought reflecting on the chapter itself. In this chapter Mr. Lydgate is suspected of taking money as a bribe, and a discussion ensues whilst they are eating dessert. I start half way into the chapter.

Full souls are double mirrors, making still
An endless vista of fair things before,
Repeating things behind.

..........But, Dorothea," he said, remonstrantly, "you can't undertake to manage a man's life for him in that way. Lydgate must know-at least he will soon come to know how he stands. If he can clear himself, he will. He must act for himself."

"I think his friends must wait till they find an opportunity," added Mr. Farebrother. "It is possible - I have often felt so much weakness in myself that I can conceive even a man of honorable disposition, such as I have always believed Lydgate to be, succumbing to such a temptation as that of accepting money which was offered more or less indirectly as a bribe to insure his silence about scandalous facts long gone by. I say, I can conceive this, if he were under the pressure of hard circumstances - if he had been harassed as I feel sure Lydgate has been. I would not believe anything worse of him except under stringent proof. But there is the terrible Nemesis following on some errors, that it is always possible for those who like it to interpret them into a crime: there is no proof in favor of the man outside his own consciousness and assertion."

"Oh, how cruel!" said Dorothea, clasping her hands. "And would you not like to be the one person who believed in that man's innocence, if the rest of the world belied him? Besides, there is a man's character beforehand to speak for him."

"But, my dear Mrs. Casaubon," said Mr. Farebrother, smiling gently at her ardor, "character is not cut in marble - it is not something solid and unalterable. It is something living and changing, and may become diseased as our bodies do."

"Then it may be rescued and healed," said Dorothea "I should not be afraid of asking Mr. Lydgate to tell me the truth, that I might help him. Why should I be afraid? Now that I am not to have the land, James, I might do as Mr. Bulstrode proposed, and take his place in providing for the Hospital; and I have to consult Mr. Lydgate, to know thoroughly what are the prospects of doing good by keeping up the present plans. There is the best opportunity in the world for me to ask for his confidence; and he would be able to tell me things which might make all the circumstances clear. Then we would all stand by him and bring him out of his trouble. People glorify all sorts of bravery except the bravery they might show on behalf of their nearest neighbors." Dorothea's eyes had a moist brightness in them, and the changed tones of her voice roused her uncle, who began to listen.

Middlemarch--1871

Please thank Wikisource for the setting of the story and for the quote in context, and Project Gutenberg for the novel to read at your leisure.

peace out, >^,,^<
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:24:55 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Kitten, I've never thanked you enough for the care and time you take to provide context for not just the quotes in this section but for the rest of the forum. You are awesome, and the heels don't hurt !

Merci, Danke, Gracias, Grazie, Diolch yn fawr.

As to the OP, I disagree. One's fundamental nature never changes. I may do bad things from time to time, but my essential nature remains unchanged.

As Frank Zappa said " You am what you is.".
jmacann
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 8:27:11 PM

Neurons: 3,887
Neither have I. Indeed -thanks, kitten, for being there.

Even if character may follow some meanders in the sinuous course of life, ex is quite right about human nature.
HWNN1961
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:35:45 PM

Neurons: 9,763
An epitaph for the diseased career of "The Great Chameleon"...Mitt Romney:

Name the issue: he was for it before he was ever against it. The only man that could debate avatars of his previous self.

Lord knows, that means he's the nominee. God help us.