mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
FYI - Cimate Update End of 2021 Options
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 3:11:39 PM

Neurons: 59,233
Northern Hemisphere

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/29/world/end-of-winter-greenland-porter-fox-climate/index.html

"Sitting on the back of the sled, it's hard to believe that anything in the world is not frozen solid. But I know better. Greenland is the last leg of a 10,000-mile tour I've taken of the Northern Hemisphere's snow line, documenting how climate change has melted snow and ice. In most parts, winter isn't coming. It's going."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59820999

"The coldest US state of Alaska has recorded its hottest-ever December day, amid an unusual winter warm spell."

::

Southern Hemisphere

Dec 26, 2021

https://scitechdaily.com/doomsday-glacier-threat-rapid-retreat-of-antarcticas-riskiest-glacier/

"...Rapid Retreat of Antarctica’s Riskiest Glacier"

::

Movie - "Don't look Up" movie - I see it listed on Netflix but have not watched it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/climate-scientist-dont-look-up-madness

"I’m a climate scientist. 'Don’t Look Up' captures the madness I see every day."
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2021 4:07:43 PM

Neurons: 675,964
Just in this Yuletide, we had here (in Helsinki, the same latitude with Anchorage) some -15°C to -20 degrees, more than 20 cm snow in a day. In the north there were temperatures between -25 and -35. Nearly a metre of snow already in Lapland.

Well, the weathers change from day to day, and even from year to year.

But, what we have been used to... When there's a metre snow blanket in Helsinki, there's two or three metres in Alaska.
litindie
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 5:55:22 PM

Neurons: 1,171
NASA-supported Study Confirms Southern Ocean's CO2 Absorption

"Observations from research aircraft show that the Southern Ocean absorbs much more carbon from the atmosphere than it releases, confirming it is a very strong carbon sink and an important buffer for the effects of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions, according to a new, NASA-supported study.

Recent research had raised uncertainty about just how much atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) these icy waters absorb. Those studies relied on measurements of ocean acidity – which increases when ocean water absorbs CO2 – taken by instruments that float in the ocean.
They found that the Southern Ocean absorbs significantly more CO2 in the Southern Hemisphere summer than it releases in the winter, making it a strong carbon sink. Data from the airborne campaigns also showed a larger amount of carbon absorbed by the Southern Ocean and smaller amount released than previous estimates using ocean acidity data. The findings highlight the importance of aircraft-based observations to understand carbon cycling.

The research was funded by the National Science Foundation, NASA and NOAA.

The Ocean as a Sponge for CO2
When human emissions of CO2 enter the atmosphere, some of that gas is absorbed by the ocean, slowing the rise in global temperature and climate change. Cold water from the deep ocean rises to the surface through a process called upwelling. Once at the surface, that colder water absorbs CO2 in the atmosphere – often with the help of photosynthesizing organisms called phytoplankton – before sinking again..."

http://www.carboncapturemagazine.com/articles/19/nasa-supported-study-confirms-southern-oceans-co2-absorption
litindie
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 5:57:58 PM

Novel Compound Harvests CO2 to Make Useful Products

"The study demonstrates that the new metal-organic framework, loaded with a general industrial chemical known as propylene oxide, has the potential to catalyze the production of cyclic carbonates while CO2 is being scrubbed from factory flue gases.

The study has been published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry A.

Carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that is caused by the burning of fossil fuels, is known to be one of the major reasons for climate change. Cyclic carbonates are considered to be a class of compounds having great industrial interest.

This implies the findings are a boost for green-economy initiatives since they exhibit useful applications like pharmaceutical precursors and battery electrolytes that could be derived from the same process dispensed to clean emissions from manufacturing facilities."

http://www.carboncapturemagazine.com/articles/20/novel-compound-harvests-co2-to-make-useful-products
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 6:18:31 PM

Well, your Carbon Capture Magazine articles seem to be just BS.
litindie
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 10:07:16 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Well, your Carbon Capture Magazine articles seem to be just BS.

(I see we have some fans in the audience.)

Idiom of the day.

The dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

Dissenting views from the lower classes are often ignored in favor of progress.

Let's continue.

Dutch Politician Refutes Claim 97% Of Scientists Agree Global Warming Is Man-Made

“How often do we hear,” Baudet says, “that 97% of scientists agree that humans are the cause of climate change; that this climate change is severe, posing a major threat to the planet; and that we need a drastic reduction in our carbon dioxide emissions.”

“All of this, and I do mean all of it, is false. It’s a blatant lie that 97% of scientists agree with it. In reality, only 1.6% agree with [those] statements,” he goes on, after which he explains that there are major disagreements on this among climatologists, geologists, chemists, physicians, and so on.

“This myth” about the 97% was famously propagated by former U.S. President Barack Obama. “On May 16, 2013, he posted, and I quote,” Baudet explains, “’97 percent of scientists agree, climate change is real, man-made and dangerous.’ With this tweet, Obama referred to a paper published the same year by a man named John Cook.”

And that’s where it goes wrong. Because Cook is a “controversial” climate activist who even runs a ridiculous alarmist website called scepticalscience.com.

Watch for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKmcfUov1k
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 11:50:23 AM

Neurons: 81,868
litendie,

The case here on TFD is: "My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts".
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 1:03:48 PM

You can both call them facts, but that doesn't make them facts.

Don't you see how close to the Russian jargon your claims are?
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 2:00:15 PM

The discussion about whether or not there is climate change and whether or not it is anthropogenic has long been over. The world has moved past it. The money is going to green energy - corporations know and are acting. All except those who cling to the notion that oil and gas will always be used. That will only be so for a while till better methods will be found.

Time to keep up.

The discussion now is how to mitigate it and to prepare for all the increasing and increasingly devastating and unprecedented natural disasters already occurring.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 2:02:56 PM

FounDit wrote:
litendie,

The pot calls the kettle black.

The kettle in this case does her research and presents proof. The pot would not know that because he thinks he is so much superior and condescendingly refuses to even read the facts and truth presented by the kettle.

Also, Lotje has reminded us many times that the pot rarely presents proof for what are just his own opinions.
litindie
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:12:45 PM

Hope123 wrote:
The discussion about whether or not there is climate change and whether or not it is anthropogenic has long been over. The world has moved past it. The money is going to green energy - corporations know and are acting. All except those who cling to the notion that oil and gas will always be used. That will only be so for a while till better methods will be found.

Time to keep up.

The discussion now is how to mitigate it and to prepare for all the increasing and increasingly devastating and unprecedented natural disasters already occurring.

Climate changes constantly and permanently.
That's a FACT.
The Human-induced Climate Change "ideology" is something else.

P.S. Previous (ex) communists - today's Greenpeace agitators.
litindie
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:22:47 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
You can both call them facts, but that doesn't make them facts.

Don't you see how close to the Russian jargon your claims are?

There are two kinds of Suomi people:
(a) Those, who fought bravely the Red Army in 1939
and
(b) Those, who try to visit Leningrad for some "strange" reason.

P.S. Are the arresting Human-induced(as in FLATULENCE) Climate Change deniers in Finland?
I've heard a lot about the Alcoholism (serious) problems in Finland, but nothing about detaining the Finish Climate Deniers.
Maybe, there no Finish climate change deniers in Suomi?
LOL!
litindie
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 3:26:40 PM

FounDit wrote:
litendie,

Dear FounDit,

Climate changes constantly!

"Dinosaurs lived in the Arctic, research suggests

Discovery of tiny fossils indicates dinosaurs raised young in freezing region – and may have been warm-blooded."
Have a nice day!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/24/dinosaur-fossils-eggs-arctic-research
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 6:20:54 PM

litindie wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

Time to keep up.

Climate changes constantly and permanently.
That's a FACT.
Gosh, I didn't know that.

The Human-induced Climate Change "ideology" is something else.

Indeed it is.

P.S. Previous (ex) communists - today's Greenpeace agitators.

Irrelevant to this "discussion".
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 7:48:31 PM

Neurons: 81,868
litindie wrote:
FounDit wrote:
litendie,

Dear FounDit,

I know! I'm with you on that. They're called Seasons. There are four of them every year. But when you talk climate change here on TFD, that's not what folks here mean by it.

A mentally challenged teenager from Sweden, Marxist politicians, and a bar tender from New York tell us we're all going to die, and it's taken as gospel truth by most here (See the post by Hope123. It's all over). Inefficient windmills, electric cars/trucks, and solar panels are to be our saviors (as long as they can be subsidized by oil and gas...*ahem*).

But I'll have to end it here. We're not allowed to discuss political things here any longer.

Discovery of tiny fossils indicates dinosaurs raised young in freezing region – and may have been warm-blooded."
Have a nice day!

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/jun/24/dinosaur-fossils-eggs-arctic-research
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 7:58:19 PM

For heavens sake, you both have found the science!
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 2:29:51 AM

Neurons: 817,857
litindie wrote:
Dutch Politician Refutes Claim 97% Of Scientists Agree Global Warming Is Man-Made

You might want to be more critical with your sources. Thierry Baudet is not a scientist, so him refuting the claims of scientists hardly holds any value.

FounDit wrote:
I know! I'm with you on that. They're called Seasons.

Again, that's not how climate works. It's not weather and it's not seasons. Climate is the summary of weather conditions across years.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 8:51:05 AM

FounDit wrote:
litindie wrote:
FounDit wrote:
litendie,

Dear FounDit,

I know! I'm with you on that. They're called Seasons. There are four of them every year. But when you talk climate change here on TFD, that's not what folks here mean by it.

A mentally challenged teenager from Sweden, Marxist politicians, and a bar tender from New York tell us we're all going to die, and it's taken as gospel truth by most here (See the post by Hope123. It's all over). Inefficient windmills, electric cars/trucks, and solar panels are to be our saviors (as long as they can be subsidized by oil and gas...*ahem*).

But I'll have to end it here. We're not allowed to discuss political things here any longer.

Have a nice day!

FounDit deliberately puts words into my mouth. Were that it is all over. The discussion about the cause is over. The work is beginning. And it is not just tilting at windmills. Pun intended.

Brilliant young minds are coming up with solutions. They are the ones who will have to cope long after the negative outmoded obstructive naysayers are gone.

The act or policy of refusing to face reality or unpleasant facts is called "Ostrichism".

"The Economist" has a motto - "Out with the Auld, In with the Knew."

I like it

Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 9:04:05 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:
litindie wrote:

You might want to be more critical with your sources. Thierry Baudet is not a scientist, so him refuting the claims of scientists hardly holds any value.

FounDit wrote:
I know! I'm with you on that. They're called Seasons.

Again, that's not how climate works. It's not weather and it's not seasons. Climate is the summary of weather conditions across years.

Applause Applause Applause
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 10:30:28 AM

If it weren't for major oil and gas companies including BP, Exxon, and Shell spending hundreds of millions of currencies trying to delay or stop government policies that would help tackle the climate crisis, we'd be farther ahead in mitigation of it and of the associated pollution that affects the health of everyone who does not live on top of a mountain and of the wildlife.

We can all see the effects of the escalating long term patterns of climate crisis on unprecedented daily weather disasters. There are big polluting corporations that are responsible for the majority of carbon emissions and they continue to carry on drilling for and burning fossil fuels. And other companies reap the residual effects.

https://ecojungle.net/post/the-most-polluting-industries-in-2021/

The fact that it is humans who are in these industries is indisputable. A side effect is that the pollution created is also a health hazard that kills millions of people and animals.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 10:34:33 AM

Yet other American companies and corporations around the world have "seen the handwriting on the wall" and are working towards a better future.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/fr/content/these-fortune-100-companies-are-leading-the-fight/

“American businesses are leading the transition to a clean economy because it’s smart business and it’s what their customers want,” said Marty Spitzer, World Wildlife Fund’s senior director of climate and renewable energy. “Clean energy is fueling economic opportunity from coast to coast without regard for party line. Washington policies may slow this boom, but these companies are making it very clear that a transition to a low-carbon economy is inevitable.”

https://www.lovemoney.com/gallerylist/97646/worldchanging-inventions-for-2021-and-beyond

Many of the innovations listed on the above website's link are a help for mitigation of the climate crisis. Others make our lives more enjoyable and convenient.

litindie
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 1:45:36 PM

This will conclude my participation at the Free Dictionary forum.
It's so boring, so predictably dull...

Thank you and good luck to you!
[/size]

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 1:54:17 PM

It's quite a fun to see such a troll here.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 2:26:25 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
It's quite a fun to see such a troll here.

Yeah, I was really enjoying all the references to communists, belligerent Green agitators, and the corrupt and dishonest statements I made about the anthropogenic climate crisis. Especially the communism comments. lol. Stuck back in the fifties and McCarthyism. Unfortunately there are many in a similar boat.

The communist references certainly give us an idea as to her/his nationality and the climate denial and Covid responses tell us as to whom their political support is given.

Even the grammar and vocabulary sub forums are better off without the shouting and passive aggressive posts. Boring and predictably dull sounds like sour grapes by him/her but it is fine by me. It IS a language forum, not Tic Tok.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2022 8:22:34 PM

Lol. She deleted all of her rant that I responded to and left only the civil goodbye.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2022 9:44:35 PM

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2022/01/07/nova-butterfly-blueprints

I just watched an interesting Nova show called "Butterfly Blueprints" from PBS in Boston, Mass.

By studying the hidden properties and characteristics of butterflies and moths, scientists and engineers are being inspired to make remarkable cutting edge technical and technological inventions and innovations, some of which they are using to help combat the climate crisis. Also, while monitoring the Monarch butterfly population that the last two decades has been declining in the numbers migrating to Mexico from Canada in winter, scientists can gain insight into how a warming climate can disrupt ecosystems.

Such things as nanoscopic structures and colour and transparency of bodies and wings of the various species of butterflies that give them protection from predators, and the characteristics that make their wings waterproof and/or able to capture the sun's rays are used to create products for humans for use for medical reasons too, such as in glaucoma care. The methods their sensitive chemical detecting "noses" use could be developed to search for toxic gases or explosives during drone surveillance.

The silk moth's unique ability has been known to humans for quite a while but most people do not know that the silk moth male can smell a female moth from 6 miles away.

That's just an interesting fact I learned as well as understanding that scientists are watching and searching how other species have adapted to find ways to apply them to humans and their problems - the main problem being the climate crisis. Let's hope they find some breakthrough innovations soon to move a lot faster and to convince the naysayers that it can be done.