mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
act upon/on Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 2:24:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,750
Neurons: 19,072
People usually act upon/on their memories.

Is it correct?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 10:40:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
People usually act upon/on their memories.

Is it correct?


It may grammatically correct, but sounds very odd. People act on their desires, or what they want to do, no more, no less. You can have a memory of something, but not act on it, so it isn't quite correct in the sense of actions taken.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 10:57:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 47,038
Neurons: 665,509
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
I still act to the memory of my elder son's born. He nearly died. The memory brings tears in my eyes.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 11:38:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,750
Neurons: 19,072
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
People usually act upon/on their memories.

Is it correct?


It may grammatically correct, but sounds very odd. People act on their desires, or what they want to do, no more, no less. You can have a memory of something, but not act on it, so it isn't quite correct in the sense of actions taken.


But to act on your desires you need to remember them.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 2:21:59 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I still act to the memory of my elder son's born. He nearly died. The memory brings tears in my eyes.


I would suggest that you REact to the memory. The first action is to call up the memory, and then to react to that memory.
It is the same with my youngest son. When he was six months old, I was told he would not live long without surgery. He is now 44 years old.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 2:24:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
People usually act upon/on their memories.

Is it correct?


It may grammatically correct, but sounds very odd. People act on their desires, or what they want to do, no more, no less. You can have a memory of something, but not act on it, so it isn't quite correct in the sense of actions taken.


But to act on your desires you need to remember them.


But simply remembering doesn't require action. I can remember having a desire for more money, but I didn't rob a bank to fulfill that desire.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 4:54:47 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 47,038
Neurons: 665,509
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Yes, FD. That's how I react.
That son will become 40 in the end of the year.

Oh, we are old guys, FD!
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 7:00:43 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Yes, FD. That's how I react.
That son will become 40 in the end of the year.

Oh, we are old guys, FD!

That's for certain! I used to be able to work hard all day, but now, after three or four hours, I have to sit down and rest for a while...LOL. I can't imagine what it will be like in another five or ten years.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2021 7:02:06 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/4/2015
Posts: 6,382
Neurons: 1,384,473
Location: Vinton, Iowa, United States
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
People usually act upon/on their memories.

Is it correct?


It may grammatically correct, but sounds very odd. People act on their desires, or what they want to do, no more, no less. You can have a memory of something, but not act on it, so it isn't quite correct in the sense of actions taken.


But to act on your desires you need to remember them.


This is NOT how the word is used.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.