mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
skirt / aspirated / unaspirated Options
sb70012
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 6:23:43 AM

Neurons: 6,733
Hello,

As you know the letter "k" in "skirt" is unaspirrated and the letter "k" in "kite" is aspirated.

If I pronounce the "k" in "skirt" as the "k" in "kite", will you consider it wrong?

I mean what happens if I read the "k" in "skirt" as an aspirated "k"?

Do you know why I asked this question?

Because I work in a kindergarten in China. Once I pronounce the "k" in "skirt" as the "k" in "kite" and some Chinese teachers kept saying to me that you are wrong you are wrong you are wrong.

Thank you.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 7:07:31 AM

Neurons: 494,563
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,

As you know the letter "k" in "skirt" is unaspirrated and the letter "k" in "kite" is aspirated.

If I pronounce the "k" in "skirt" as the "k" in "kite", will you consider it wrong?

Because I work in a kindergarten in China. Once I pronounce the "k" in "skirt" as the "k" in "kite" and some Chinese teachers kept saying to me that you are wrong you are wrong you are wrong.

Thank you.

Please refer to any standard dictionary where you can listen to the pronunciation. Thereafter request the Chinese teachers to resolve the issue. The word is pronounced as:
skirt1 /skɜːt $ skɜːrt/ ●●● S3 noun [countable]

In this case the pronunciation of the Chinese teacher(s) is wrong.

I hope it helps.

Audiendus
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 8:55:59 AM

Neurons: 1,432,109
sb70012 wrote:

Most native English speakers make no conscious distinction between an aspirated and an unaspirated k. As far as we are concerned, there is only one hard k sound. Any differences in the sounds we actually produce, depending on the position of the k in the word, are so minimal that we are unaware of them (it may possibly be different with some regional accents). If I heard someone pronounce the k in 'skirt' exactly the same as that in 'kite', or vice versa, I doubt that I would notice.
litindie
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 9:55:49 AM

Neurons: 170
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, but...
Since when are we to learn English from the Chinese Kindergarden teachers?
tautophile
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 10:12:08 AM

Neurons: 49,964
I agree with Audiendus. The sounds /p/, /t/, and /k/ at the start of a get aspirated if they start a word (as in pin, tint, kin), but not if they are preceded by, e.g., an s (spin, stint, skin). The difference between the aspirated and unaspirated sounds isn't significant in English: "we don't "hear the difference", so to speak.

In other languages, the difference between aspirated and unaspirated forms can be significant: in Ancient Greek, there was a real difference between kappa (unaspirated k-sound) and chi (aspirated k-sound), and between tau (unaspirated t-sound) and theta (aspirated t-sound). We would hear them as "kuh" and "kuhuh" and "tuh" and "tuhuh". Over the centuries, though, the differences faded away, and "archon" (spelled with a chi and pronounced "ark-hon") became pronounced like "arkon", and "theta" became the "th"-sound in "thin".
sb70012
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:49:10 PM

Neurons: 6,733
Thank you. Now I have attached my pronunciations in two MP3 format. Each is 5 seconds. One is aspirated /sk/ (skirt) and the other one is unaspirated /sk/ (skirt).

1. This is how I pronouncedd "skirt" in class. (aspirated /k/)

2. And this is how they say I should pronounce. (unaspirated /k/)

I will be grateful if you listen to both of my pronunciations and let me know if you will consider the first one wrong or not.

I know the second pronunciation is more common but how about the first pronunciation?

Thank you.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 11:04:05 PM

Neurons: 663,183
litindie wrote:
sb70012 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, but...
Since when are we to learn English from the Chinese Kindergarden teachers?

Since when are we to learn English from a wannabee English teacher from whatever place?
I've told, since the beginning of my story here, I'm a Finn, not native English.
You haven't told us anything about your origins. You have just berated some other members.
Shame!
Audiendus
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2021 1:46:22 AM

sb70012 wrote:

I will be grateful if you listen to both of my pronunciations and let me know if you will consider the first one wrong or not.

I know the second pronunciation is more common but how about the first pronunciation?

The first one has a strong aspiration which sounds odd!
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2021 11:15:08 AM

Neurons: 80,265
Audiendus wrote:
sb70012 wrote:

The first one has a strong aspiration which sounds odd!

I agree. The first one sounds odd, more like the word "curt". The second one is more common and how I would say it.
Bathcoup
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2021 6:03:46 PM

Neurons: 2,447
What you've noticed is the influence of the [s]. So your kindergarten colleagues were right.
The word “she” sounds like CHEE in “cheese” if the last consonant of the preceding word is [t].
Audiendus
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2021 9:04:35 PM

I would be interested to know how you pronounce "curt". You probably aspirate the 'c' more than I do.
tautophile
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2021 10:07:12 PM

Neurons: 49,964
If you want to aspirate the /k/ in "skirt", or not aspirate it in "kite", go ahead; it's not wrong, because, as I said, the difference between aspirated consonants and unaspirated ones is not, in general, significant in English pronunciation. Few native English speakers--except for professional phoneticians--will even notice it, and they won't object.