mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Cell phone. Other than talking why do I really need one? Options
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:23:06 AM

Neurons: 6,040
OK. So I broke down a few years ago and bought a cell-phone. Other than talking on the fly the best thing, for me, is that I don't need a watch anymore. Why else should I really invest in iphones and such. After all, most of the features seem to be things I can do on my home computer - applications and emails and such. Do I really need to be in touch 24/7
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:58:05 AM

Neurons: 166,581
Joseph Glantz wrote:
OK. So I broke down a few years ago and bought a cell-phone. Other than talking on the fly the best thing, for me, is that I don't need a watch anymore. Why else should I really invest in iphones and such. After all, most of the features seem to be things I can do on my home computer - applications and emails and such. Do I really need to be in touch 24/7

Rather than launch into a rant on the deleterious effects of the current usage of mobile electronics on society, culture, and individual social development, I'll will just say, no sir I don't think you do.
Just one more thing, people who talk on cell phones while driving ought to have their driving license suspended for seven days, doubling the time for each additional offense.
Drew
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 11:14:07 AM

Neurons: 4,487
Epiphileon wrote:
Just one more thing, people who talk on cell phones while driving ought to have their driving license suspended for seven days, doubling the time for each additional offense.

I have to agree with you here. They recently outlawed talking on your cell phone while driving in Philadelphia - where I live - and while I am thankful the law was passed, it doesn't seem like local law enforcement has really begun to take it seriously and enforce it. When you drive a car, you're operating a potentially deadly weapon; there's no excuse for having divided attention.
Danno
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 1:57:59 PM

Neurons: 21
More laws aren't something I'm eager to see, though I hate seeing drivers on their phones. (For that matter, I hate seeing drivers engrossed in conversation with their passenger.)

Frighteningly enough, it's become trendy in my neighborhood for Muslim women to place their cell phones in their hijab, so it's permanently ready for action, though I'm at a loss to explain how they press the buttons like that. It's pretty nervous-making in traffic, and I find myself dodging at least once a week.

Danno, whose cell phone is so old it won't even take pictures.
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 2:22:28 PM

Neurons: 39,962
I have a smart phone (Google G1) that I use almost exclusively for texting (I also use several 3rd-party apps, especially the music-related ones for identifying tunes, establishing the tempo, even adding a cowbell part). I never use it while driving. I won't have another land-line phone. But since I bought a netbook, mostly because I can't type fast enough on the little phone keyboard, I use that instead of the phone whenever I can. The GPS app on the Google-phone and Google maps I do make use of while out of the house. So if that sort of thing is useful to you and you don't want to buy a dedicated car-GPS then it might make sense to upgrade the cellphone (or mobile phone as they seem to call it everywhere but the US), otherwise I wouldn't bother if I were you.
Luftmarque
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:30:43 PM

Neurons: 39,962
If I were ever tempted to text on my phone while driving, this interactive reaction-time test would make me realize that I was being an idiot.
Epiphileon
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 1:28:47 PM

Neurons: 166,581
Luftmarque wrote:
If I were ever tempted to text on my phone while driving, this interactive reaction-time test would make me realize that I was being an idiot.

That test makes me think I'm an idiot for driving at all, and I've only been in one accident over 30 years ago.
alvrez
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 2:25:43 PM

Neurons: 795
I really don't talk on my phone that much. I mostly use text messages and on weekends the only reson my phone is on is for the golf gps ap.
fred
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:02:15 AM

Neurons: 4,457
I have had the same cell phone for 7 years. I have never text messaged, I don't know how, and really don't care.
alvrez
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:17:45 AM

Neurons: 795
You are lucky, Fred. There are days I wish I had not ever puchased the infernal thing. There are benefits though so I keep it around... for now.
bugdoctor
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:55:37 AM

Neurons: 5,456
fred wrote:
I have had the same cell phone for 7 years. I have never text messaged, I don't know how, and really don't care.

I'm with you, Fred. If I want email, or photos, or..... I go to my laptop. I don't see talking on a cell phone while driving to be any more dangerous than playing the radio in your car. Texting, however, is another matter.
MiTziGo
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:59:04 AM

Neurons: 6,142
I only use my phone for talking, never texting or anything else. While I don't need to use it for anything else and I don't have any real desire to text, I do sometimes feel that I am losing my grip on technology by refraining from participating.
fred
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:02:40 AM

Neurons: 4,457
MichalG wrote:
I only use my phone for talking, never texting or anything else. While I don't need to use it for anything else and I don't have any real desire to text, I do sometimes feel that I am losing my grip on technology by refraining from participating.

That's not what they want to hear.
AccidentalPolyglot
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:13:40 PM

Neurons: 33
[quote=Epiphileon
Rather than launch into a rant on the deleterious effects of the current usage of mobile electronics on society, culture, and individual social development, I'll will just say, no sir I don't think you do.
Just one more thing, people who talk on cell phones while driving ought to have their driving license suspended for seven days, doubling the time for each additional offense.[/quote]

Applause Sir, I can read your mind, and you are silently ranting very eloquently!

Furthermore, people who talk on cell phones in restaurants should have their eating privileges revoked for seven days, too. Whistle

I'm not nomally a "smiley" person, but this response just begged for them. I promise not to use them again for seven days!

York
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:15:05 AM

Neurons: 3,845
I use my cell phone for calls or text messages when I'm away from home. Otherwise, I use it for mindless moments of solitaire. I wouldn't mind having good crossword puzzles on it.