mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
As far as something goes / something is concerned. Options
Ashraful Haque Ashraf
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 3:56:38 PM

Neurons: 6,285
The first thing I want to know if is they mean the same thing?

My second question is about how to use it. According to merriam-webster dictionary they both mean 'about (something) : with regard to (something). Have I used it correctly in the following context?

A: Let me know about the quality and the quantity of the food they provide.
B: I thought the quality was decent. As far as quantity goes/ is concerned, you can take as much rice as you want.

A: Is my sentence correct and grammatical?
B: Your sentence is correct as far as grammar is concerned/goes, even though it doesn't sound very natural.
tautophile
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 7:32:51 PM

Neurons: 50,666
Yes, in the context you're using them in, the phrases "as far as [something] goes" and "as far as [something] is concerned" mean essentially the same thing. All four of your sentence examples, especially those labeled "B", are fine.

I note that you put "as far as quantity goes" first in your first "B" sentence. That is good: "goes" is somewhat more idiomatic than than "is concerned" in the first "B" sentence. You put "as far as grammar is concerned" first in your second "B" sentence. That is also good: "is concerned" is more idiomatic in the second "B" sentence. At least, that's the way I judge. But, if you had put "is concerned" in your first "B" sentence and "goes" in your second, you would not be wrong.
Ashraful Haque Ashraf
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2021 1:02:05 PM

Neurons: 6,285
tautophile wrote:
Yes, in the context you're using them in, the phrases "as far as [something] goes" and "as far as [something] is concerned" mean essentially the same thing. All four of your sentence examples, especially those labeled "B", are fine.

I note that you put "as far as quantity goes" first in your first "B" sentence. That is good: "goes" is somewhat more idiomatic than than "is concerned" in the first "B" sentence. You put "as far as grammar is concerned" first in your second "B" sentence. That is also good: "is concerned" is more idiomatic in the second "B" sentence. At least, that's the way I judge. But, if you had put "is concerned" in your first "B" sentence and "goes" in your second, you would not be wrong.

Thank you so much for the answer. I feel like the following sentence is missing a 'the.'

A: Let me know about the quality and the quantity of the food they provide.
B: I thought the quality was decent. As far as the quantity goes/ is concerned, you can take as much rice as you want.

Does 'the' make the sentence sound better?