mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Do these sound correct? Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 9:55:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,521
Neurons: 17,956
1 I am simply reciting a fact.
2 He has a fit of amnesia.
3 On one side you are right, on the other you are wrong. (I know it's usually, on the one hand - on the other)
4 It's simply a self feeding circle (vicious circle).
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 10:48:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/4/2015
Posts: 6,275
Neurons: 1,368,679
Location: Vinton, Iowa, United States
Item 1 is Ok.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 10:51:13 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,475
Neurons: 79,099
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
1 I am simply reciting a fact.
2 He had (or is having) a fit of amnesia.
3 On one side you are right, on the other you are wrong. (I know it's usually, on the one hand - on the other)
4 It's simply a self feeding circle (vicious circle).


No. 4 doesn't sound correct concerning the self-feeding circle. Sometimes it's known as a "self-fulfilling prophesy" (also, an ouroboros - the figure of a snake eating itself) . The "vicious circle" is okay.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 2:44:10 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,521
Neurons: 17,956
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
1 I am simply reciting a fact.
2 He had (or is having) a fit of amnesia.
3 On one side you are right, on the other you are wrong. (I know it's usually, on the one hand - on the other)
4 It's simply a self feeding circle (vicious circle).


No. 4 doesn't sound correct concerning the self-feeding circle. Sometimes it's known as a "self-fulfilling prophesy" (also, an ouroboros - the figure of a snake eating itself) . The "vicious circle" is okay.


What about 3?

tautophile
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 3:12:06 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/14/2018
Posts: 1,882
Neurons: 45,536
In my opinion, none of them sound correct.

Sentence (1) would be better as "I am simply stating a fact", or perhaps "I am [just] stating a simple fact".

Sentence (2) the closest to OK. "He had a fit of amnesia" would be grammatical and all, but it sounds a bit odd.

In Sentence (3) "On one hand" and "on the other [hand]" add nothing to the original sentence, and should probably be omitted. But if you want to include them, I would recommend "On [the] one hand, you are right about this; on the other hand, you're wrong about that." (It would help a great deal if the speaker would specify what "this" and "that" in my sentence refer to.) "On one side" and "on the other [side]" are wrong in this context. Actually the sentence would be better--make more sense--if it were simply "You're right about this and wrong about that".

Sentence 4 should be "It's simply a vicious circle" or perhaps "...a self-fulfilling prophecy". "Self-feeding circle" won't do.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 4:03:22 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,521
Neurons: 17,956
tautophile wrote:
In my opinion, none of them sounds correct.

Sentence (1) would be better as "I am simply stating a fact", or perhaps "I am [just] stating a simple fact".



It seems to me that I have heard americans say "I am reciting a fact" but I am bot sure.
recite - to tell about; describe; provide details of:
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 4:10:03 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 45,884
Neurons: 654,707
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
tautophile wrote:
In my opinion, none of them sounds correct.



None of them sound correct.
tautophile
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 6:30:23 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/14/2018
Posts: 1,882
Neurons: 45,536
You have a point, JJ: the word "them" represents the four example sentences, which, counted together, are plural, and so "none of them sound correct"--your choice--is indicated. But one could say that the word "none" is short for "not one", which is in essence singular, so "none of them [i.e., not a single one] sounds correct"--my choice--is indicated. In a sense, then, we're both right.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 7:15:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 45,884
Neurons: 654,707
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Whoever is ever right when talking about language, English or Finnish.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 1:40:01 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,521
Neurons: 17,956
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
tautophile wrote:
In my opinion, none of them sounds correct.



None of them sound correct.


WRONG. Prescriptivists consider it wrong.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:04:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,475
Neurons: 79,099
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
1 I am simply reciting a fact.
2 He had (or is having) a fit of amnesia.
3 On one side you are right, on the other you are wrong. (I know it's usually, on the one hand - on the other)
4 It's simply a self feeding circle (vicious circle).


No. 4 doesn't sound correct concerning the self-feeding circle. Sometimes it's known as a "self-fulfilling prophesy" (also, an ouroboros - the figure of a snake eating itself) . The "vicious circle" is okay.


What about 3?

You could get away with using "on one side", but it's normally "on one hand", as you note.
All the others are okay as I noted, IMO.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2021 11:42:44 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 45,884
Neurons: 654,707
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Ivan Fadeev wrote:

WRONG. Prescriptivists consider it wrong.


The #¤&= I care about some Prescriptivists. I'll pee on their feet. There is no official instance to rule the English language. We, the speakers rule.
I'm not a grammarian, but my nose tells me how to orient.
Ruthania
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 7:22:40 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 7/20/2021
Posts: 25
Neurons: 128

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
...I'll pee on their feet...


Sounds crude like golden showers from Tom of Finland.

just sayin'



Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, October 16, 2021 10:51:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 45,884
Neurons: 654,707
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Just sayin' that you shouldn't call people here by names.

This is a grammar section of a dictionary forum.

Any more bitter comments, Ruthania?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.