mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
omission of "o'clock" Options
sb70012
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 11:31:49 PM

Neurons: 6,718
Hi,
Is it OK if we omit "o'clock" in times?
I mean after a single word hour (no minutes).

Context:

What time is it?
It's seven. (7:00)

Thank you.
sureshot
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 12:19:28 AM

Neurons: 488,701
sb70012 wrote:
Hi,
Is it OK if we omit "o'clock" in times?
I mean after a single word hour (no minutes).

Context:

What time is it?
It's seven. (7:00)

Thank you.

It is possible to omit "o'clock" in the given context because it is clear that you are talking about a time of the day. The use of "o'clock" is optional, and it is often omitted.
thar
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 12:23:48 AM

Neurons: 102,441
You often omit it. It is almost always clear in context that you mean the time.
You only use it anyway for the .00 hour (eg five to seven, seven o'clock, five past seven).

But you do use it to make the phrase a bit longer, as if the number on its own sometimes feels a bit bare.

I'll see you at seven.
Right. Seven o'clock, in the foyer. I'll be there.

What time is it?
Seven.
Seven o'clock.
It's seven
It's seven o'clock

The difference is probably personal style - how much a person wants to talk at that moment. .

Edit - posted same time
tautophile
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2021 2:30:40 AM

Neurons: 46,163
Yes, it's OK to add "o'clock" to times--but there are exceptions.

In ordinary conversation or speech, when it's obvious you're telling the time, either as a statement or replying to a question, it's common to leave out "o'clock". Normally, for example, I would say, "I get up about 8", meaning 8 AM or 0800 hours ('oh-eight-hundred') local time. It's also normal to be a little more explicit and say "I get up about 8 o'clock". When you add "o'clock", it's usual to do so only for hours: you would say "8 o'clock" or "half past 8 o'clock", but not "8:30 o'clock".

In many places (but not, usually, the US) it's common to write times in the 24-hour system: thus 8:15 AM would be written (or printed on a timetable, for example) as 0815; whereas 8:15 PM would be written or printed as 2015 ("twenty fifteen"). Militaries around the world, including the US, use the 24-hour clock, as do most scientists and people who deal with international communications, such as meteorologists, aviators, and astronomers.

The worldwide "standard" time is Greenwich Mean Time [GMT] or Coordinated Universal Time [UTC]. Time zones around the world are about 15° wide and are often identified by letters of the alphabet or by the "phonetic" names for those letters used in radio communication: GMT/UTC is Z ("Zulu") time, and is the time zone centered on the Prime Meridian, i.e., longitudes from 7.5°W to 7.5°E. The next zone to the east of it is A ("Alfa") for that centered on 15°E, and so on around the world.

My "official" local time in the US is Central Standard Time (CST) or S ["Sierra"], centered on 90°W. It is 6 hours behind Z--that is, noon Z is 6 AM CST or 0600 S. My clocks are actually set to Central Daylight Time (CDT), which is the same as US Eastern Standard Time, which is centered on 75°W and is called R ("Romeo") time, 5 hours behind Z. We will change from Central Daylight Time to Central Standard Time on Sunday 7 November 2021 and will change back to Central Daylight time on 13 March 2022. In the U.S., the Standard-to-Daylight and Daylight-to-Standard time changes occur at 2:00 AM local time. In spring, clock time "springs forward" from 1:59 AM to 3:00 AM; in autumn, clock time "falls back" from 1:59 AM to 1:00 AM. What that really means is, you need to reset your clocks an hour forward or back before you go to bed that night

In my experience, even in places where times are written in the 24-hour system, the 12-hour system is still used in speech, so that, even if you write "Dinner at 2015" on a formal invitation, you would probably say "Come to dinner at 8:15 PM or 8:15 this evening" rather than "Come to dinner at 2015." (By the way, in the 24-hour system, 1200 means noon; 0000 means midnight; in the 12-hour system, "12" is used for both, but usually with "noon" or "midnight" added. (Sometimes "12M" is used for noon...but sometimes it stands for 12 midnight.)

Wikipedia, s.vv. "12-hour_clock" and "24-hour_clock", "time zone" and "daylight saving time" goes into considerable detail about these usages, including when and where to use "o'clock", time zones around the world, and the like.