mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Christmas card, cross Options
Penz
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 4:17:16 AM

Neurons: 3,263
All these excerpts are from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Quote:
Hogsmeade looked like a Christmas card; the little thatched cottages and shops were all covered in a layer of crisp snow; there were holly wreaths on the doors and strings of enchanted candles hanging in the trees.

1) Like a Christmas card, I think the author meant the image on a christmas card. Why not write that as the picture is only a part of the whole cart?

2) I guess we don't hang candles with strings but lamps. Did the author mean "lamps"?

Quote:
....his hands were freezing, so they crossed the road....

Now "cross" can also mean "go from one point to the other".
---------B------------
A Road D
----------C-----------
1) Can cross mean "to go from A to D" or only mean "to from C to B"?

2) Also this is a village, so I think we would call it a "lane" rather than a "road"?
Please explain.

Quote:
....where there was a small, vacant table between the window and a handsome Christmas tree which stood next to the fireplace....
The Christmas tree beside tgeir table rose a few inches off the ground, drifted sideways and landed with a soft thump right in front of their table, hiding them from view....
Harry saw four sets of chair legs move back from the table right beside theira,..

---Fireplace---the tree------A--

--------------------B----------
Which one would be the window and Why?
What would be the position of their table and the teacher's table?

Quote:
Professors McGonagall and Flitwick had just entered the pub in a flurry of snowflakes.

1) Flurry of snowflakes moves in the air so why "entered in a flurry.."?

2) Does snowflake mean "every piece of snow" or "the snow particles that look like a flower"?

Flitwick has ordered a drink.
Quote:
'A cherry syrup and soda with ice and umbrella-'

1) Is it only a single drink or two drinks?

2) How is soda different from the regular coca cola?

3) If he wants a umbrella in the glass, why not say "a umbrella" as it is a countable noun?

thar
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 6:01:36 AM

Neurons: 99,985
Penz wrote:
All these excerpts are from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Quote:
Hogsmeade looked like a Christmas card; the little thatched cottages and shops were all covered in a layer of crisp snow; there were holly wreaths on the doors and strings of enchanted candles hanging in the trees.

1) Like a Christmas card, I think the author meant the image on a christmas card. Why not write that as the picture is only a part of the whole cart?

Because the picture is the part you see.

2) I guess we don't hang candles with strings but lamps. Did the author mean "lamps"?
Yes. They are hanging lamps.

Quote:
....his hands were freezing, so they crossed the road....

Now "cross" can also mean "go from one point to the other".
---------B------------
A Road D
----------C-----------
1) Can cross mean "to go from A to D" or only mean "to from C to B"?

A to D is along the road. You cross from one side to the other.

2) Also this is a village, so I think we would call it a "lane" rather than a "road"?
Please explain.
It depends. It depends on the road, not the place. A lane is probably narrow, muddy, unmade. A road can be anything from a dual carriageway to a street through a village.

Quote:
....where there was a small, vacant table between the window and a handsome Christmas tree which stood next to the fireplace....
The Christmas tree beside tgeir table rose a few inches off the ground, drifted sideways and landed with a soft thump right in front of their table, hiding them from view....
Harry saw four sets of chair legs move back from the table right beside theira,..

---Fireplace---the tree------A--

--------------------B----------
Which one would be the window and Why?
What would be the position of their table and the teacher's table?

The table was between the window and the tree. The tree was next to the fireplace. You will have to work out from context what else is going on, I can't tell from this text. Without context.

Quote:
Professors McGonagall and Flitwick had just entered the pub in a flurry of snowflakes.

1) Flurry of snowflakes moves in the air so why "entered in a flurry.."?
You answered your own question - the flurry surrounded them as they came in.

2) Does snowflake mean "every piece of snow" or "the snow particles that look like a flower"?
Snowflakes are individual light pieces of snow. Snow can be hard and icy, soft and wet, or it can be individual snowflakes.

Flitwick has ordered a drink.
Quote:
'A cherry syrup and soda with ice and umbrella-'

1) Is it only a single drink or two drinks?
One drink
A cherry syrup diluted with fizzy water, with ice in it and a little umbrella in the glass
2) How is soda different from the regular coca cola?
Soda is not the same as fizzy drinks like Coke. Those are called a soda ( soda-pop) in America but not in Britain.

3) If he wants a umbrella in the glass, why not say "a umbrella" as it is a countable noun?
It would be an umbrella. You could say yhat. But this is speech and people are sloppy. Ice is uncountable, this is not a real umbrella it is a toy garnish, so they are treating it as the idea, an uncountable noun. Not 'one umbrella'.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 7:24:59 AM

Neurons: 17,154
Quote:
Yes. They are hanging lamps.

Except this is the magical world of Harry Potter, and they are enchanted candles.
Whilst in the real world thar is correct they would be lamps we can’t make that assumption here.
After all they sometimes fill the Great Hall at Hogwarts with floating candles.

The use of lane or road isn’t an easy one to explain you can’t say because it’s in a village it’s a lane nor is it automatically a narrow unpaved road.
There are a couple of reason for this sometimes housing developers building new estates like to use term like lane to make the new development seem older and cuter than it actually is.
Sometimes you can get an centuries old right of way, that used to be a narrow lane but now a town has built up around it and it’s been turned into a wide street but it retains the name “……Lane” because that’s what it’s always been called.
And sometimes they change names, there used to be a Wibbly Wobbly Lane that lead to Wobbly Bottom near me , but people kept on stealing the road signs so now it’s been renamed Carter’s Lane
thar
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 11:07:18 AM

Street and Lane are Old English terms, but road is a more recent evolution

Quote:
From Middle English rode, rade (“ride, journey”), from Old English rād (“riding, hostile incursion”), from Proto-West Germanic *raidu, from Proto-Germanic *raidō (“a ride”), from Proto-Indo-European *reydʰ- (“to ride”). Doublet of raid, acquired from Scots, and West Frisian reed (paved trail/road, driveway).

The current primary meaning of "street, way for traveling" originated relatively late—Shakespeare seemed to expect his audiences to find it unfamiliar—and probably arose through reinterpetation of roadway as a tautological compound.

Which is why America has named streets, not roads.

In an English village, the main street through the village and the lanes out into the country have probably been there since Saxon times.
The trail to the next village or from the town will be called 'the X road' because that is where it leads to.
Generalisation but true in my part of southern England.

For towns, too, if they have been left quiet.

FounDit
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 11:41:00 AM

Neurons: 77,313
While not always 100% true, in America we more often use "street" and "lane" for inside a city, or town, and "road" or "highway" for those that go from town to town, or city to city.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:27:42 PM

Neurons: 17,154
Well there’s new and then there’s new, even if it was just out of the wrapper when Shakespeare was writing that’s still fairly old now.
Penz
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:51:24 AM

Thank you.
Though why the author didn't use "lamps" as they can't be just candles as "STRINGS of enchanted candles".
So there were ropes.

Second what would you use:
"Ice and umbrella" or "ice and an umbrella"?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:27:46 AM

Neurons: 633,797
As Sarriesfan pointed out: they were ENCHANTED candles.

What magic would that be, if there were lamps hanged on the trees? You can see those everywhere in Yuletide.

Ice and umbrella or ice and an umbrella will both do.

Penz
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 3:44:24 AM

Last question "STRINGS of enchanted candles" explicitly state there were ropes too, doesn't it?

STRINGS= ropes?

Thank you all.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 4:17:02 AM

Neurons: 633,797
There propably weren't any ropes or twines. Magic candles just floated in formations which looked like strings.

thar
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 7:48:54 AM

Ah, I was going by the wording of Penz's question as if it were the quote. Ie they were hanging lamps, not candles. Small screen stopped me seeing actual quote. My silly mistake.