mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
a system using mathematical concepts Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 2:13:12 AM

Neurons: 20,934
A mathematical model is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language. The process of developing a mathematical model is termed mathematical modeling."
This is the first definition I got when I googled "mathematical model".
What does "system" mean in the above?
What does "modelling" mean in the phrase "data modelling"?
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:18:39 PM

Neurons: 77,313
Jigneshbharati wrote:
A mathematical model is a description of a system using mathematical concepts and language. The process of developing a mathematical model is termed mathematical modeling."
This is the first definition I got when I googled "mathematical model".
What does "system" mean in the above?
What does "modelling" mean in the phrase "data modelling"?

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has yet attempted to help you with this. I'm not sure how helpful I can be, but I'll try.

I'm more familiar with human anatomy and physiology (a supplemental instructor for several years), so I'll use that as a pattern. Our system is made up of organs which perform specific functions. Those would be described in words, of course.

A system that uses mathematical concepts and language would be similar in that each part would be composed of mathematical concepts. The combination of all of those would compose the system itself, much as the organs of the body compose our total system.

As our organs compose our physical system, the mathematical concepts and language of each portion of the model (the data), when combined, would also form the mathematical model in total. This would then result in "data modelling". The model is formed from the data that composes each part of the model. That's how I interpret it.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 12:26:12 PM

Neurons: 20,934
Thanks a lot!